DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Color Correction in CSI Miami? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/63355-color-correction-csi-miami.html)

Barry Gribble March 20th, 2006 10:01 PM

Color Correction in CSI Miami?

I saw CSI:Miami tonight and everything looked gold... very gold. Like the who thing was shot white-balanced with a warm card (if it were video).

Is that my picture only? Or does everyone see it that way? The skin tones were actually pretty nice, but it got a bit annoying after a while...

Is it color correction? Different film stock? My imagination? Or does Miami just look gold?

Cole McDonald March 20th, 2006 10:20 PM

Miami looks gold, NY looks blue...original is Neutral Density (darker) filter all of them use grad filters to affect the sky more than the rest of the image.

J. Stephen McDonald March 25th, 2006 02:11 AM

Yes, Miami looks very golden and glowing on my set, too. I assume they have a special production crew whose only job is to grab those sweeping types of scenes that you see on most of the HD shows. You never see the same one twice. Does the Miami Chamber of Commerce have an embedded representative with the crew, to make sure they pack the maximum amount of tourist appeal?

Nick Weeks March 25th, 2006 10:34 AM

That's like 24, all the outside sequences seem really orange/gold and all the indoor ones are much cooler and bluish

David Jimerson March 28th, 2006 08:58 AM

The CSI looks were an inspiration for the TV looks ReelPak for Celluloid.

(Not that non-Vegas users have any idea what that's about.)

But the question is, is David Caruso's constant 45-degree neck angle in-camera or post? :)

The Caprica scenes in the new Battlestar Galactica are also very, very gold.

David Sheneman April 5th, 2006 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jimerson
But the question is, is David Caruso's constant 45-degree neck angle in-camera or post? :)

My wife and I comment on his neck problem just about every episode. It's quite annoying actually; slightly less annoying than his acting, though. If it weren't for the other characters carrying the show we wouldn't be able to watch.

Now, William Peterson in the original show - he's a master!

J. Stephen McDonald April 5th, 2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Sheneman
My wife and I comment on his neck problem just about every episode. It's quite annoying actually; slightly less annoying than his acting, though. If it weren't for the other characters carrying the show we wouldn't be able to watch.

Now, William Peterson in the original show - he's a master!

The cloying personal manner of Caruso is the main reason he's gotten his job. Irritating people are more noticeable and memorable than ordinary folks. For the same reason, there's a lot of characters in commercials who are just plain intolerable. But, they get many people's attention and they notice the products. And then there's Overstock.com, which realizes that honey attracts customers better than vinegar.