DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Has anyone seen "28 days Later" directed by Danny Boyle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/6445-has-anyone-seen-28-days-later-directed-danny-boyle.html)

Simon Orange May 3rd, 2003 08:12 AM

Alex,

mostly done by Clear Ltd, in Soho.

simon

Alex Gingell May 3rd, 2003 10:04 AM

Do they do summer jobs or internships :) ?

I'm a keen vfx artist in my spare time...I'm currently about to take my Chemistry Finals, and then I've got all Summer to work on VFX and short films. It would be cool to perhaps get even a menial part time job somewhere like that.

Alex

edit: changed avid -- > keen to avoid confusion ;)

Simon Orange May 3rd, 2003 10:21 AM

check your email.

Brad Simmons May 4th, 2003 06:51 AM

I just saw the trailer for this film on a huge screen before the movie 'Identity'. I do not mean to offend those who worked on the film, because I know the limitations of DV, but to be honest it just looked horrible up on the big screen. The colors were very muddled, and the lack of shallow DoF was almost jarring. They also showed the first teaser trailer, which I don't think is nearly as good as the full length version.

Again, I'm not expecting film quality because I know this was shot with the XL1s and I'm sure its going to be a great film and well edited because I love Danny Boyle's movies. But at the end of the trailer, someone yelled out "stupid!" and everyone laughed. This is unfortunate and it goes to show that a lot of people (Average Joes) aren't yet willing to accept miniDV on the bigscreen (unless everyone tells them they have too). They immediately think 'home video' and label it as amateurish.

I for one am excited to see this movie. I think it looks interesting.

Dylan Couper May 4th, 2003 09:58 AM

I find it interesting that you selected lack of depth of field as one of the major drawbacks, having seen only the trailer.

Steven-Marc Couchouron May 4th, 2003 11:22 AM

This is nothing new but DV blown up to 35mm always looks crappy the first few minutes you watch it. Then, if the story is engaging, the brain just adapts to the lesser resolution and it tends not to be a problem so much anymore. This is something I have observed many times.
So, in effect, a trailer can not do justice to this kind of movie because you don't get the chance to adapt and if you have other trailers which originated on 35mm shown just before the difference in resolution is just going to stand out that much more.
I have to add I haven't seen the actual trailer projected on the big screen. But I have seen many other movies originally shot on DV, and you just get used to it once the story starts moving along. For that very reason, I would be very wary of mixing footage originating on 35mm and on DV however, unless justified directly in the story itself.

The DVD (Zone 2, UK) will be available in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting to listen to the audio commentaries.

Dylan Couper May 4th, 2003 11:51 AM

ANy idea when we'll get a Zone 1 DVD release?

Steven-Marc Couchouron May 4th, 2003 01:29 PM

Seems the US theatrical release is planned for june 27th. So I guess the Z1 DVD will have to wait a while...

Dylan Couper May 4th, 2003 10:31 PM

That sucks, but at least I'll get to see it again, this time on the big screen.

Steven-Marc Couchouron May 5th, 2003 03:48 AM

While we're on the subject, Simon, do you know where the transfer to film was done?

Simon Orange May 5th, 2003 05:24 AM

Transfer to film was done at MPC (iirc)

http://www.moving-picture.com/

si

John Steele May 17th, 2003 08:52 AM

I just got the DVD of 28 Days Later through today and all I can say is WOW, it really looks damn good. It's amazing what you can do with a DV cam :-)

John.

Alex Gingell May 17th, 2003 09:17 AM

where'd you get it from john??

I can't wait till monday! :)

John Steele May 17th, 2003 09:48 AM

I Pre-ordered it online from Play and it arrived today.

John.

Steven-Marc Couchouron May 17th, 2003 12:32 PM

So, do the bonuses give any further insight on how the film was produced?
Are the commentaries interesting?