DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Has anyone seen "28 days Later" directed by Danny Boyle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/6445-has-anyone-seen-28-days-later-directed-danny-boyle.html)

Luis Caffesse April 6th, 2005 11:32 AM

"can you spot the point in the film where it changes over from being shot on DV to being shot on 35?"

Interesting question...
Many of the people I saw it with thought the whole thing was made on film. Many didn't realize there was a switch in formats at all.

To me, it was like a punch in the face.
Then again, that was in the theater... I haven't seen it on DVD, but I'm pretty sure the difference would still be just as noticable.

Joe Carney April 6th, 2005 01:07 PM

They used a mini35 hooked up to their XL1s, using it to add a film grain look. I also heard they could only use prime lenses with it, so had to do a lot of setups.

Dylan Couper April 6th, 2005 01:13 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : They used a mini35 hooked up to their XL1s, using it to add a film grain look. I also heard they could only use prime lenses with it, so had to do a lot of setups. -->>>

Actually it was a different adapter than the mini35, and I believe they used broadcast lenses, but point taken it wasn't shot on stock XL lenses.

Joshua, Yes, I can tell where it switches over to 35mm, but a better question is, did I care? No.

This whole disscussion is quite funny because outside of our miniscule little DV/production world, no one else knows or cares that 28 Days Later wasn't shot on 35mm film. People went to see a scary movie with a good story, and that's what they got. The proof is in the box office receipts.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=28dayslater.htm

$82 million worldwide for a film shot on miniDV?
From that, I interpret that the format doesn't matter.

Joshua Starnes April 6th, 2005 03:31 PM

I don't think it matters either, I don't think it ever did.

I don't think the director was stupid for picking DV even though he had a good budget - I think he had excellent logistical reasons for doing so, and I don't think his choice was a particular bad one.

I think if he had waited a few more years, he would have had the choice and probably would have chosen to shoot it on HD instead. But for the time it was made, I don't think it was a particularly bad choice or hurt the film. I actually quite like the look of it.

Laurence Maher April 7th, 2005 02:24 AM

Well, I'll be honest and say that I didn't realize it was shot on 35 at all, however, you must keep in mind I saw it on a small screen, and I do remember there were definitely points where I went . . . "now wait a minute, that shot looked pretty good, oh, what? It's crappy again." If I had had my wits about me, I would have realized they were mixing formats, but I was assuming that it was all shot on mini dv. If I had known they were mixing, I'm sure the points at which I recognized the quality difference would have translated into . . . "oh, okay, that's 35, now that's not, that is, that's not." And I also never saw in in a theater, where I'm sure it would have been very obvious.

What you guys might consider too is something I heard Dov Simmens say at one of his notorious "2-day film school" seminars, which was, "You must have good sound. If you don't have good sound, the average audience will tell you they didn't like the movie because the picture was bad, in other words, it will bother them subconciously, because something was ab-normal or not of highest quality. Even if they didn't really know what was wrong, they could sense it." I believe the same thing might be applicable here. You guys say you didn't notice it, and I didn't much either at first, becasue I saw it on a tiny TV and was blown away. Then I saw it on a medium sized TV and wondered what the hell happened. Of course, as you say, the people who will notice it the most art the artists. So perhaps your right and it's due to my seeing things from a filmmaker's point of view. But I can honestly say this. I can remember seeing movies as a child and recognizing something was strange that I didn't like. I couldn't put my finger on it. Then later, making my own home movies and then studying films in college, and eventually actually making features, I figured out why I didn't like them . . . because of bad technical qualities. So even at a young age I would have wondered what was wrong.

Overall, I see here that most people didn't mind, so that's cool. Personally, with 8 mill, I think it could have been done on 35mm. Even with the 8 cameras or whatever. And as I said in the other thread, maybe the distributors would have grabbed it faster or promoted it more if the format was larger.

Laurence Maher April 7th, 2005 02:48 AM

By the way, was 28 days gross mentioned world wide gross or just u.s.

Mathieu Ghekiere April 7th, 2005 08:39 AM

Only the end was shot on 35mm, the epilogue with the plane.
If that helps you :-)

John Hudson April 7th, 2005 02:37 PM

I loved this film; and if I wanted to scrutinize the image quality; sure, I could say it is not impressive. But this is where "Content is King' comes into play; does it really matter? 5 Minutes into the film as the Monkeys attack and the young activist woman stares at the camera growling with red eyes and it doesnt matter cause I'm already hooked into the film.

Interesting point on the sound Lawrence; The Sound on this picture was excellent and AUDIO is something I concentrate on in my own attemts at filmmaking as I know all to well the importance.

I'll say one thing; when I found out it was shot on DV it reawakened my dream of filmmaking that I had almost completely given up on (I was 32 at the time). It also helped serve the revival of the undead genre; along with Resident Evil games of course.

The question at hand?

I don't think it was lame to shoot Mini DV on this picture. It does seem to work very well for the given subject matter. Sides; I might not have gotten back into filmmaking if it hadn't! ;) :O :)

Dylan Couper April 7th, 2005 07:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Laurence Maher : By the way, was 28 days gross mentioned world wide gross or just u.s. -->>>

$35m international + $45m US, more or less. The link I posted above has more details.

K. Forman April 7th, 2005 08:01 PM

"Burt Wilson: I thought you said that if we destroyed the brain, it would die.
Frank: It worked in the movie.
Burt Wilson: Well it ain't working now Frank.
Freddy: You mean the movie lied?"

And what movie was this from?? And on a similar topic, I believe Shawn of the Dead was also shot on digital. Either way, it was great!

Dylan Couper April 7th, 2005 08:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : "Burt Wilson: I thought you said that if we destroyed the brain, it would die.
Frank: It worked in the movie.
Burt Wilson: Well it ain't working now Frank.
Freddy: You mean the movie lied?"

And what movie was this from?? And on a similar topic, I believe Shawn of the Dead was also shot on digital. Either way, it was great! -->>>

Oh too easy! Return Of The Living Dead. :)

K. Forman April 7th, 2005 08:12 PM

That just didn't sound familiar, and I'm pretty sure I saw it.

John Hudson April 7th, 2005 09:01 PM

LOL

One of my guilty pleasures.

SHAUN was shot Arri 35 from what I know?

Graeme Nattress April 7th, 2005 11:44 PM

What was wrong about 28days... being on DV was that they did it to intentionally make the picture quality bad. They say "edgy" - I just call a spade a spade (Anyone here from Yorkshire? - I'm not, but it's a very common saying there) and call it bad.

I've seen DV transferred to 35mm with the intention of making it look as good as possible, and it actually looks quite good. You do a number of things to help, and one of those is turn the sharpness down. In 28days... the sharpness was up full, making each and every pixel stand out on the cinema screen, and each and every character have a black or white halo of "unsharp mask" around them.

As someone who develops software to try and make DV look as good as possible, it pains me to see someone do everything possible to make DV look bad. 28days... was just the worst advert picture quality-wise for anyone wanting to make a DV feature.

Graeme

John Hudson April 8th, 2005 12:16 AM

I havent seen too many example of fine work theatrically when using DV; I am looking forward to NOVEMBER however.

Brandon Greenlee April 8th, 2005 12:18 PM

Thought this was interesting...

http://www.imdb.com/SearchTechnical?CAM:Canon%20XL-1S

Barry Gribble April 8th, 2005 12:24 PM

I saw an interview when the movie came out... I am forgetting now if it was with the director or the DP, but one of them. They said (basically):

"We wanted the look of DV. We had the budget, we could have shot on film if we wanted it to look like film, but we didn't."

What could be lame about that?

Joshua Starnes April 8th, 2005 12:41 PM

To be fair, though, at the time they made the film there wasn't a lot known about the best way to go from DV to Film. They learned a lot of stuff as they went - they made some choices which, in hind sight weren't the best, but seemed like the best choices at the time.

On my 65" TV, the picture looks just fine. It looks like video, but it doesn't look bad. It's well lit, it's well composed, the camera movement is well designed. If it may not have the inherent picture quality of 35, it certainly doesn't suffer from it.

Graeme Nattress April 8th, 2005 12:59 PM

I'd completely disagree that people didn't know how to take DV to film!!! People have been taking SD PAL video to film for ages, especially commercials for cinemas and exactly the same rules apply about not applying objectionable sharpening in the SD video, but uprezzing to HD by a decent algorithm, and then, if necessary adding some sharpening. The look of that movie was intentionally bad.

Graeme

Laurence Maher April 9th, 2005 06:25 AM

Well it makes sense that it was the ending on 35mm. I DEFINITELY remember the scene coming up and going, "now this has to be a different format," and assumed 35. This was before I saw the commentary and it made me think that they didn't like the ending they origianaly have and re-shot a new one due to test audiences or something.

Barry . . .

You said that they said dv was the preferred look even though they admitted they had the budget to shoot on 35. Then you asked . . .

"What could be lame about that."

Answer:

They shot on dv when they had the budget for 35.

I'm with ya Graeme. I'm with ya.

Barry Gribble April 9th, 2005 07:59 AM

Laurence,

They made the film look like they wanted it to look.

When you make your films, you can make them look the way you want them to look.

Bono recorded an album using a $95 SM-58 microphone, because he wanted that sound.

People make their artistic choices, and for you to try to assess those choices as "good or bad" is just silly.

Laurence Maher April 10th, 2005 01:08 AM

Let's hear it for that $95 microphone. Hey, wait a minute . . . they didn't use THAT to record the video for 28 Days Later did they?

:)

. . . I'm still with ya Graeme, I'm still with ya . . .

Orestes Mita October 29th, 2005 07:25 AM

What adapter did they use for 28 days later?

i think we all agree that that movie looked awesome, especially for a movie shot on XL1s, but what adapter did they use does anyone know? (i hope this wasnt already answered before)

Jean-Philippe Archibald October 29th, 2005 08:08 AM

This article http://www.theasc.com/magazine/july03/sub/index.html will answer all of your questions.

Specifically,

Quote:

MPC believed the best results occurred with footage shot in the 4x3 aspect ratio but matted for 16x9 by the PAL XL1 (625 lines of resolution, 900,000 effective pixels over three 1/3" CCDs) in Frame Movie Mode, its pseudo-progressive-scan method, which is performed electronically within the camera.
Quote:

Dod Mantle helped matters by securing the higher-resolving Canon EC (6-40mm) and Canon EJ (50-150mm) prime lenses to the camera bodies with Optex adapters.

Boyd Ostroff October 29th, 2005 10:39 AM

I saw that movie on the big screen and enjoyed it a lot. However they clearly we not going for a "film look" and they had a big enough budget to have shot it on film if they wanted to. They wanted it to look like DV.

Bill Porter October 29th, 2005 01:24 PM

I read in an interview that in order to get the illusion of a shallow depth of field, they moved the camera back as far as physically possible. Great camerawork and great editing in that movie.

Shannon Rawls December 24th, 2005 04:14 PM

28 Days Later (with an XL-H1 instead of an XL1)

Just imagine...
What if Danny Boyle (or you!) could remake the movie 28 Days Later with a bunch of XL-H1's in HDV and cut it in 24p and output that to Film and show it worldwide.

Nothing different. Same Cast, Same Script, Same Crew, Same Shots, EVERYthing the same except for the Camera.

How do you think the movie would look? Any different? And why?

- ShannonRawls.com

Michael Wisniewski December 24th, 2005 04:47 PM

Interesting thought. You'd probably notice the extra detail especially in the wide shots, the compositing might have been easier, and they may have gotten this guy Shannon Rawls to help produce the movie. But I don't think the newer technology would have made an appreciable difference to the content of the movie, except to us techno-geeks.

24p would have changed the look of the image, but Danny Boyle made an effort to use the more realistic look of a video camcorder, and further tweaked the look during the film processing, to give it an other-worldly look, half-in / half-out look.

Film cameras might have made a difference, because they wouldn't have been able to get those downtown London shots.

Bob Zimmerman December 24th, 2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Just imagine...
What if Danny Boyle (or you!) could remake the movie 28 Days Later with a bunch of XL-H1's in HDV and cut it in 24p and output that to Film and show it worldwide.

Nothing different. Same Cast, Same Script, Same Crew, Same Shots, EVERYthing the same except for the Camera.

How do you think the movie would look? Any different? And why?

- ShannonRawls.com

You seem to like this camera!!

Boyd Ostroff December 24th, 2005 05:36 PM

I read that he chose the XL-1 because he liked the rough video look. They had a budget of over a million dollars as I recall, and could have afforded to use film or HD.

Matthew Groff December 24th, 2005 05:44 PM

Apparently, from what I recall, the budget was $15 million. The prevailing wisdom is that they used a very large chunk of that on post-production to bring the imagery up to acceptable quality (acceptable being subjective, obviously).

mg

Darrell Essex December 24th, 2005 06:28 PM

yea, just think.
the effects i could of created, the color correction i would of been able to do.
the only limit would of been our imagination.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Bill Pryor December 24th, 2005 07:43 PM

I'd guess the shots with the HDV Canon would have been a little less soft than the XL1. Other than that, probably not much difference. But he could have shot with 2/3" chip video cameras if he had wanted a better image. He used what he did for the way it looked, and it contrasted very nicely with the 35mm stuff.

Bill Anderson December 24th, 2005 08:07 PM

Like they say, he had the money and it's not as if there wasn't anything out there to compete with todays XLH1. The answer might lie in ANOTHER 28 DAYS LATER or, if you prefer, 56 DAYS LATER.

Michael Wisniewski December 24th, 2005 08:48 PM

I wonder if Danny Boyle would have still chosen the XL1 even with the XL H1 in production. After all he was going for that video look.

Jay Kavi December 25th, 2005 02:15 AM

It would look better, not only because of the camera but also improved transfer techniques (I'm assuming). But if Boyle was concerned about image quality he would have moved to film. It would have been cool to have it in super 16mm

Barlow Elton December 25th, 2005 12:05 PM

I think the point of the movie (look-wise) was to have a harsh video tone, but not be too blurry on the bigscreen. What I saw in the theaters was still pretty blurry, but again, content and sound mattered more. I recorded an HD version of it on Showtime, and it looked better on my home 720p projector 12 ft. wide.

The final scene of the movie was beautiful 35mm, obviously highlighting the triumph of the survivors, and the emergence from the nightmare.

I definitely think it would've been enhanced by shooting H1.

Jim Giberti December 25th, 2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Groff
Apparently, from what I recall, the budget was $15 million. The prevailing wisdom is that they used a very large chunk of that on post-production to bring the imagery up to acceptable quality (acceptable being subjective, obviously).

mg

Actually in this case "acceptable" isn't really subjective accept frpm the peanut gallery <g>.

In the real world of film making, budgets, distribution and return on investment, there is no question that his approach was acceptable.
99.999% of the hundreds of thousands of people who paid to see it had absolutely no clue or care as to whether it was shot on an XL1 or 35mm film.

Mathieu Ghekiere December 26th, 2005 09:42 AM

Very true, Jim, I was with friends who didn't care about technology, jusst went to see the movie. They didn't say anything about picture quality, didn't notice anything too.

Charles Papert December 26th, 2005 10:59 AM

The period of "legitimate" filmmakers working in the DV medium is mostly on the way out. Starting with the Dogma '95 movement, DV became the "flavor of the month" look for many filmmakers, but like all trends, new things come in to replace it. For many, the compact size of the cameras allowed a certain spontaneity and were minimally invasive to the actors; the same is true of the HDV and upcoming cameras like the HVX200 but obviously without the resolution hit that DV presents on the big screen. There will be exceptions to the rule (David Lynch's upcoming "Inland Empire", shot on PD-150's, for instance) but I think it safe to say that Danny Boyle and his team would likely have selected a different camera than the XL1 if they were making "28 Days" at the current time, considering the hoops that they had to go through back then (stitching multiple camera images together for wide shots to increase resolution, etc).