"The Ten Commandments"... looked like bad VHS on ABC-HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 15th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Wrangler

"The Ten Commandments"... looked like bad VHS on ABC-HD

When I saw they were showing this tonight I thought it might be fun to watch since it's been a long time. But when I went to the ABC-HD channel I was surprised to see that they were presenting it in really poor quality pillarboxed 4:3. According to IMDB it was originally released as 1.85:1, then later re-released as 2.20:1. http://imdb.com/title/tt0049833/technical

What a disappointment! This makes me think that wide adoption of HD may be further off than I had thought....

(EDIT) Hmm... as an afterthought... perhaps it was just the local (Philadelphia) outlet that was showing the movie and not the network?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, no. My local ABC affiliate has had commercials for weeks about it- I'm dissapointed to hear that it's not using 16x9, and indeed, that the quality is so poor.
Michael OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Wrangler

Well then, "rasberries" to ABC for such a poor job!
Old April 16th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Jubal 28

Biggger raspberries for that even worse remake.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, thank goodness. I thought I was being overly critical when I could only take the first 10 minutes of the cheezy acting before deleting both parts off my TiVo. That and the bad video quality made for a very disappointing remake.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #6
Wrangler

My neighbor and his family watched the whole thing on their new widescreen TV. Not only was it mangled and cropped for 4:3 but then their TV re-stretched back to 16:9. Talk about crashing consumer standards. The humanity, the humanity ...
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Wrangler

Actually that's interesting... if I watch regular analog channels, or SD digital channels then I can choose the screen format (full, zoom, stretch, etc), but if I watch an HD broadcast then none of those options are available, you have to watch it in 16:9 mode. So in the case of that program I had 4:3 pillarboxed inside the 16:9 frame.
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not connected properly. But I'm diplomatically not saying anything about it, until I can pull my neighbor aside privately.
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You know, the "Ten Commandments" was shot on VistaVision... 35mm 8 perf (just like 35mm still camera film frame size) moving sideways through the camera. Amazing sharpness, closer to 65mm in image area but cheaper to shoot. So, it's a great pity that more care isn't given in the transfer to HD.

About ten years ago a local theatre showed a print of it over the Easter weekend... it was terrific, so I know better can be done with it.

I have fond memories of that movie on TV when I was young... I think it was the first thing I saw on -gasp- COLOR TV... also gave me my interest in visual effects...

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
Jim Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #10
New Boot

Amateurism? Or were they too cheap to give it the necessary attention?
Alexander Benesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #11
Wrangler

How do you like the quality of this "restored" version? :-)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CJBsyePY8...20commandments
Old June 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #12
Trustee

The last time I caught The Ten Commandments on network "HD" television (don't remember which network it was) it was aired in 4:3. I didn't even know it had been originally shot in widescreen. At least the network didn't air it pillerboxed, which meant I could watch it fullscreen on our 4:3 HD CRT.

And I can't believe someone would even contemplate remaking The Ten Commandments. There are some movies that just can't be redone.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark