Unhappy about new Star Trek movie - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #76
Slash Rules!

"the acting was poor". You guys have been behind the lens long enough to know that only with new talent do you have bad acting. Experienced talent can act badly (phone it in), but it is the director's fault if it makes it to the screen. The director is the one who allows any acting to be bad

Oh really? So Keanu Reeves is new talent?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #77
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Micheal, Keith, just what are we waiting for? We don't actually need Paromounts permission to do an original work based on Section 31. I know Keith has the writing chops to create a great script.
Finally use Celtx for what it's designed for, hehehe.

What say? Any other takers?
I have a personal rule. No fan-fiction.

Why expend energy on someone else's intellectual property?

If you search for 'rant' and 'fan fiction' I believe I've ranted about it here some years in the past.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Keith, I understand. Thats sort of why I wanted to explore Section 31, to get away from the stranglehold the ST canon has on things. To boldly go where no ST fan film has gone before.....I met some strippers at the vegas conf last year very eager to get some more air time, (just kidding).

Maybe an entirely new scfi series set in the same or alternate universe? Free from Paramount IP? They don't own the word 'Federation' as long as we don't use their props and logos from the show.

I would love to do an original low budget SciFi movie. Would you be up for something like that?
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #79
Air China Pilot

Send me an email. I'm actually in the middle of another writing project that is taking up all of my creative time. Eventually we can build it up until we are one of those craigslist projects that get highlighted in Josh Bass' thread.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #80
Slash Rules!

I like how it's MY thread now. I'll be a good daddy to it, and nuture it with many ridiculous submissions. Maybe I'll even fake a few to make myself look better.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #81
Major Player

Less is more. Too many trips to the well. They really should try to do something fresh instead of digging up the body over and over again.

Shatner and company own the roles--they created them--its dumb to try and replace them.
My assessment of the shows:

TOS: cheap sets, some hokey costumes--however they tackled controversial subjects and had a good dynamic cast of characters that you cared about. I didnt feel any of the OS movies captured the spirit of the series. The only ones to delve into any sort of political content were the Voyage Home and the Undiscovered Country. Although funny enough, Star Trek 5 had elements that reminded me the most of the old show(the alien horses, the God figure, the cocktail party ending). The OS was like classical theatre with a sci-fi setting.

TNG: sets were better..-but they didnt delve into the controversial subjects of the original(no thinly disguised parables about the Gulf War for example) and because they wanted to show a better vision of the future--they made the human characters be nice with each other all the time--which killed the dramatic opportunities. Cast wise--they just didnt have the charisma of Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley--which is one reason why they couldnt carry the NG movies. The best remembered episode remains the season 3 cliffhanger Borg one because of the villains--not Picard and crew, and the same is true for the NG movies. Worst thing about NG was that they often used technology cop out endings to solve problems--especially those created by technology--which was almost never criticized or seen as a fault. You can only emit a tachion field so many times! The OS wasnt like that--they used human interaction to solve problems most of the time. The science fiction was a backdrop metaphor on the OS--but on the newer shows it was taken too seriously.

DS9--a stronger cast--more dynamic characters to care about(with flaws--although the aliens were the ones with the most conflict). I liked the show until they made Odo get romantic and it ended poorly(Odo mindmelds with the Founders' leader and everyone was lovey dovey as he descends wearing a tuxedo into the slime lake).

Voyager--too much of a copy of the other shows(another vulcan?)--plus they killed the tension they had set up with the Starfleet-Maquis crew--Chakotay became a completely wasted character.
They did have a couple of neat scary villains--the Vidians(organ stealers who got cured rather abruptly) and Species 8472--had a great intro-but screwed up when they had Chakotay get romantic with a human one(and they said Kirk was having all the affairs).

I bailed out of Enterprise early(another vulcan?).

The post-OS shows eventually became like soap operas--but unlike Babylon 5, they didnt have it clearly planned out from start to finish.

I say let Star Trek rest.

He's dead Jim.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #82
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Usually I have trouble finding other people who really liked DS9, guess there are
plenty here. Good!
DS9 was the best of the Berman-era series.

Probably mostly because Berman (and Braga) had little to do with it.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Trek blew from the very beginning. Without Nimoy they would've had nothing. The movies weren't much better, although, again, the one directed by Nimoy about the whale was pretty good for its time.

I've never understood this obsession with Trek anymore than I've understood the obsession with Star Wars.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #84
Slash Rules!

So. . .not a big fan of sci-fi, then?
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
So. . .not a big fan of sci-fi, then?
Actually, I'm a huge fan of sci-fi. Which is why I think Star Trek blows.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #86
Jubal 28

Good to know.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #87
Outer Circle

Quote:
I've never understood this obsession with Trek anymore than I've understood the obsession with Star Wars.
The best sci-fi is found in books. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #88
Slash Rules!

Can I assume you like a different type of Sci-fi than what trek offers, namely, a type more based on real science rather than "fantasy set in space?"

I don't really care for real science. I dig outlandishness over a story about two guys stranded 'cause their moon rover broke an axle, or something.

Authors I dig---

Robert J. Sawyer, Alistair Reynolds. . .well crap, I guess that's it for novels.

I've read any number of anthologies of stuff from the 30's til now. I gotta say, the 80s, in my opinion, took a real downturn in quality. I don't know if, in the short form world, it's "recovered".
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #89
Outer Circle

There's a whole bunch of good sci-fi books I read, just can't remember their titles. There were some good sci-fi movies too, can't remember their titles either---and they never seem to reappear on basic cable.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #90
Slash Rules!

Examples, please?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark