United 93 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 29th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

United 93

Has anyone seen this? I saw the film the day it came out and loved it. The acting feels real, the chaos was unbelieveable and the film worked remarkably well emotionally.

if you haven't seen it yet, go see it now!
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Is that the one that aired on A&E? Lots of Canadian actors in it. I wonder where it was filmed. (I saw it today.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
Is that the one that aired on A&E?
No, it's a new movie in theatres which is getting a lot of press.

http://www.united93movie.com/index.php

I heard a discussion on the radio about this film the other day, and when they ask people there's a sharp divide between those who say they're definitely going to see it and those who say "no interest whatsoever" with very little middle ground. Personally, I'm in the "no interest whatsoever" camp. I don't doubt that it's a good movie, but it's just something I don't want to see.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

how did that A&E movie turn out anyway? I saw some ads for it (i only have network TV) but that was it.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM   #5
Trustee

United 93

I decided to see United 93. Our local controversy stems from whether or not the American people are ready for such a movie detailing the "Pearl Harbor" of our generation. Our newspaper carried front page region section stories describing how some audience members were overcome with grief and emotion. The movie has no happy ending. So is it a downer or a motivator?

I thought long and hard.

The movie was a downer AND a motivator. Apparently, director Paul Greengrass used a few non-actors and from what I've heard, the man playing the pilot was an actual pilot. It looked like a well-filmed documentary. It would be difficult for any American not to feel a bit down after seeing this movie but let me tell you, from a personal standpoint, I was also moved by the bravery, common sense under pressure and bold hope displayed by those few passengers who gave it the hard-charging American spirit needed to at least try to wrestle back control of the aircraft. Apparently, the director kept as close to the truth as possible and if that's the case, they just might have had a shot at landing since one of the passengers was a small engine pilot and one was an air traffic controller who both agreed to work side by side to land the aircraft.

True leadership is an interesting study. Amazing things can happen when a group of motivated Americans put their minds towards a goal. I urge anyobody who's ready to see this movie to do so. It showcases the American spirit under pressure.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Wrangler

Interesting review. I too remember there being a licensed pilot aboard even though he wasn't ATP rated. As a licensed private pilot myself, I believe they would have had a good shot because the same Microsoft Flight Sim software that the terrorists used for some of their training is what I used to get a feel for maneuvering the larger birds. Also, many of the newer jets have a full autoland system although they don't use it much in the US. I did fly British Airways to London on the then new Boeing 777 and since the weather was good, they did a full autoland just to get some practice time in. Let me tell you, that thing literally greased itself on the centerline of the runway and was probably one of the smoothesst landings I've ever experienced in commercial aviation.

Was very good to meet you at NAB. Maybe I'll get out to DVEXPO east this year.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Greg:

Wassup, Home Slice? Listen, I once read a Nelson DeMille book where he described a 747 auto landing and I thought he was just taking creative license. So that is actually true? Holy cow! The technology! I am simply amazed.

Go see the movie. You will walk out of the theatre chest out, standing a bit taller. I was moved.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Major Player

I think that is true.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM   #9
Wrangler

Moderator note: this thread has been merged with another of the same name from the "TOTEM Pole" forum.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #10
Trustee

The movie was shot in England, I believe.

http://www.united93movie.com/index.php
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:52 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Is this a different movie than the one they just played on A&E? I meant the one on A&E.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Trustee

Yes, a different movie. The one on A & E was called, I think, Flight 93. Kind of silly, really, like having three Poseidon Adventures. I mean, c'mon, man, there's only one Gene Hackman. The The 1972 original was and always will be the best.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #13
Regular Crew

one of the things that stood out in the movie, for me, was something that i think Roger Ebert pointed out in his own review.

There is never a real sense of heroics in anyone's acting. The famous "let's roll" phrase is said in a much more subdued way than i would have thought. Everything that happens on the ground feels like pure confusion and near-panick. That's not to say that this is closer to a documentary, i just thought it was very refreshing to portray ALL the characters (yes, INCLUDING the terrorists), as human and normal instead of over-the-top heroic or villain.
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I'm going to have to see this.
And Greg, it was great meeting a home boy at NAB. It's a small world.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
I'm going to have to see this.
And Greg, it was great meeting a home boy at NAB. It's a small world.
Yes it is, due in part to the internet and forums such as this. I made the same observation and mentioned it to Rob and Dylan as we walked back to our hotel.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark