Original Star Wars to be released at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Original Star Wars to be released

Thank God. I've been eyeing those bootlegs on eBay.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...06/story.jhtml
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Trustee

This is the only series I love that I haven't let them double dip me on! Big fan, but I hated the little structural changes to the stories. Now I have to go vote with my $$$ to let Mr. Lucas know this was a good decision.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, maybe not a big deal in the world scope of things, but, I hate — HATE — the revised versions. I can't wait for this.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

I also hate the changes, and I grew up with the original so as with a lot of people, these felt like a personal attack.

Does this seem to anyone else like a day late and a dollar short though?

Assuming a 2.35:1 release in anamorphic NTSC resolution, this would only have about 360 lines. With HDTV having a sizable foothold allready, HD-DVD having arrived, just, Blu Ray being round the corner could Lucas not have given us the original in HiDef?

Maybe this is his point, he does not want the original version making a lasting impression on anyone and of all the times he could have released, 2.35:1 on DVD will age the fastest right now.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Emms
...2.35:1 on DVD will age the fastest right now.
Making it way easier to re-release the whole thing for the 10th time once HD DVD becomes more common...this guy knows how to make money off of us.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm hoping that it will make an appearance on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray this year.

Let me count how many times I have purchased "The Empire Strikes Back" as an example.

The first time I got "Empire" was a really hi-quality internal promotional copy unauthorized/"bootleg" VHS copy almost 2 years before it came to home video.[Yes, it was illegal, but I was the only kid on the block with it]

The next time I purchased The Empire Strikes Back was on VHS for like $24.95

When I got my first LaserDisc player back in the late eighties, I paid $69.95 for each the first CBS/Fox widescreen versions.[That's almost two hundred bucks!]

Then about six years later, the new remastered versions came out for $44.95 each on LaserDisc [Which I also purchased].

I never did buy the ones on DVD, because they were the special editions--but if they do come out in some flavor of high-def, I'm definitely going to drop even more bucks.

Damn! George Lucas is a genius!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Cole, assuming what he wants to do is make money from films.

I'm extremely surprised its happening at all as what Lucas seems to want to do is reedit history to make him look like a better filmmaker with more easily digestable morals to the toy buying public.

I'd say 'If I hear "Collect them all you can" one more time I'll kill someone' but the truth is, these Lucas franchised adverts are on several times a day selling everything from Darth Vader/Spaceship transformers to fast food.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I got ahold of some bootleg DVDs that were obviously copied from VHS. So now the official releases are offering both the original and enhanced versions, so you can take your pick. I'm looking forward to this.

Milking us for all it's worth. hehehe
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Major Player

:)

http://www.devilducky.com/media/45466/
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden
AWESOME!

I like the ring tone from '24'.
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yeah, btu I think the originals that are being released are ether based off the laserdisc print, or matted wrong or something.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa121.html#fr
more here
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Goldman
Yeah, btu I think the originals that are being released are ether based off the laserdisc print, or matted wrong or something.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa121.html#fr
more here

The laserdisc remasters of the first three films are very nice.

The clean up they performed was to remove things like matte lines around the Millenium Falcon in the asteroid scene.

Unfortunately, what will ticks me off of the new announcement, is that they are *NOT* going to release the originals in anamorphic widescreen DVD...just regular old letterboxed! Which means widescreen HDTV owners are not going to be happy.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #13
Regular Crew

While they do look nice, their lower resolution then dvd, but better then VHS. This just reinforces the idea that the consumer is being milked for every last cent they have. While george may not be personaly in charge of this release, his name is the one the dvd's are connected with, and he has exclusive rights to the prints (the only this is being released is cause of fans). While I enjoy the first 2 and 1/2 films, I don't expect I will lay out money for these.
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Wow, I just now noticed this thread and had no clue the original editions were being released. Being the Star Wars geek that I am, I was quite excited. What an anti-climax I experienced when I read on to discover that these aren't going to be anamorphic.

I don't know... I suppose its more convenient than flipping the laser discs, but that's about the only selling point here. 1993 video quality packaged with 1997 convenience.

Obviously this would have been a good time to master these films in HD for the DVD release in Sep and an HD release in 2007 to coincide with the 30th anniversary.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:25 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Emms
I also hate the changes, and I grew up with the original so as with a lot of people, these felt like a personal attack.
I could never understand why anyone cared. We get director's cuts of movies all the time. Writers update their books. Lucas does it and everybody freaks.

Makes no sense to me.

The only good Star Wars movie was Empire anyway.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark