DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Anybody Watch HBO's Deadwood? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/67705-anybody-watch-hbos-deadwood.html)

Hugh DiMauro May 19th, 2006 06:26 AM

Anybody Watch HBO's Deadwood?

Comrades:

I started watching back "On Demand" episodes of HBO's DEADWOOD and I must say, for a serial western, holy smokes! What jumps out at me, first and foremost, is the dialog and its cadence. I've never heard such lilting (for lack of a better adjective) dialog in ANY production. It almost sounds like a ballet, how perfectly the actors deliver the written lines. That screenwriter's (I think NYPD Blue's David Milch) work is definitely something to study very closely. Is that how the spoken word had been uttered so long ago during the gold rush? Ian McShane as Swearingen just blows me away. I must now add a third actor to the men who make my jaw drop whilst they perform: Charles Durning (I saw him on Broadway and walked out of the theatre in a daze. The man makes his performance appear effortless and natural), James Gandolfini (his portrayal of Tony Soprano amazes me. His timing and facial expressions are perfect) and now Ian McShane in Deadwood.

If you ever get the chance to see Deadwood either "On Demand" or its first season on DVD, please, do so. It brings the western genre to a whole new level.

Mike Moncrief May 19th, 2006 06:59 PM

Hello,

Yep, I have seen all of them.. I believe the new season is starting up in June.. The writing and cadence, seems almost Shakespherian to me, in a strange warped way.. Personally i almost have to watch each episode twice to really digest the richness of the dialogue and story..

Great show, and Ian McShane is a marvel to watch..

Mike m.

Keith Loh May 20th, 2006 03:00 AM

Unfortunately, the latest news is that HBO is not planning a fourth season. This upcoming season will be the last unless there's a last minute decision.

Hugh DiMauro May 20th, 2006 02:47 PM

I'll bet you guys a shiny new quarter that there will be a last minute decision to renew. And yes, Mike, I have a hard time, as well, following their dialog!

Joe Carney May 21st, 2006 10:18 AM

Hey, maybe we can start a thread on creative cussing after the season starts in June. (Just kidding)

Keith Loh May 21st, 2006 11:27 AM

I'm on a TV board where you're not allowed to contribute to the Deadwood thread unless you include a curse.

J. Stephen McDonald May 25th, 2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Loh
I'm on a TV board where you're not allowed to contribute to the Deadwood thread unless you include a curse.

Well?? Are you going to share this with us? That sounds like my kind of discussion group. I never knew how to properly express myself verbally, until I'd served 3 years in the Army and underwent linguistic expansion training.