Anybody Watch HBO's Deadwood? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Trustee

Anybody Watch HBO's Deadwood?

Comrades:

I started watching back "On Demand" episodes of HBO's DEADWOOD and I must say, for a serial western, holy smokes! What jumps out at me, first and foremost, is the dialog and its cadence. I've never heard such lilting (for lack of a better adjective) dialog in ANY production. It almost sounds like a ballet, how perfectly the actors deliver the written lines. That screenwriter's (I think NYPD Blue's David Milch) work is definitely something to study very closely. Is that how the spoken word had been uttered so long ago during the gold rush? Ian McShane as Swearingen just blows me away. I must now add a third actor to the men who make my jaw drop whilst they perform: Charles Durning (I saw him on Broadway and walked out of the theatre in a daze. The man makes his performance appear effortless and natural), James Gandolfini (his portrayal of Tony Soprano amazes me. His timing and facial expressions are perfect) and now Ian McShane in Deadwood.

If you ever get the chance to see Deadwood either "On Demand" or its first season on DVD, please, do so. It brings the western genre to a whole new level.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

Yep, I have seen all of them.. I believe the new season is starting up in June.. The writing and cadence, seems almost Shakespherian to me, in a strange warped way.. Personally i almost have to watch each episode twice to really digest the richness of the dialogue and story..

Great show, and Ian McShane is a marvel to watch..

Mike m.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

Unfortunately, the latest news is that HBO is not planning a fourth season. This upcoming season will be the last unless there's a last minute decision.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Trustee

I'll bet you guys a shiny new quarter that there will be a last minute decision to renew. And yes, Mike, I have a hard time, as well, following their dialog!
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey, maybe we can start a thread on creative cussing after the season starts in June. (Just kidding)
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Air China Pilot

I'm on a TV board where you're not allowed to contribute to the Deadwood thread unless you include a curse.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
I'm on a TV board where you're not allowed to contribute to the Deadwood thread unless you include a curse.
Well?? Are you going to share this with us? That sounds like my kind of discussion group. I never knew how to properly express myself verbally, until I'd served 3 years in the Army and underwent linguistic expansion training.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark