Hear ye, hear ye: Blade Runner is remastered! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 16th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #16
Regular Crew

lots of folks never seen this movie. it was in thearters for like a week (actually longer but it was not a box office hit).
Then they released the "directors" cut a ffew years ago, but that was only for like a week or so (i think it was days at the local cinema).

Other then that most vhs tapes of it are dead, and the original cut isn't rreleased on dvd.

i think thy pulled the dvd "directors" cut off shelfs, or they should have, it sorta blows
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Ok, I'm not ashamed to admit I've never seen this movie.
If you can, you should really experience Bladerunner for the first time on the big screen and not on home video.

It makes a heck of an impression on you in that way.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #18
Major Player

My understanding is that the original version, and the Directors cut are very similar, but the studio put pressure on to make the film easier to understand and have a happier ending. The voiceover by Ford detracts from the movie, which is done well enough not to need a voiceover (I'd argue any movie that needs a voiceover has defeated the purpose of the film medium). In adding the happy joy green fields ending (using shots from another film I'm told), Scott broke the plot quite badly - it doesn't make sense, all the logical directions have been cauterized.

When the Directors Cut was released the voiceover was stripped, that dreadfully wrong end was binned and things were put back largely the way they were, I don't know how much extra editing went on, its a very good film very well directed. Ridley did not leave the film hanging, as some rumors suggested, by simply cutting off the ending that didn't work, its a complete work only without it.

The best part about the film though is when you add the clues together there are subtle little arrows pointing to a second part to the plot and suddenly it all fits together like a jigsaw.... Thats the point you realise its one of the best films of all time, and it stands up to an amazing amount of analysis. Analyse most other sci-fi and you just find plot holes. Virtually every other scifi film Ive ever seen has to completely explain its entire plot (In case 1 person didn't get it) as they don't have the level of detail to fill 90mins leaving things obscured. Like a comedy that knows it has too few jokes to risk the audience missing one.

The very end of the directors cut, they walk into the elevator, turn round, the doors close to darkness and... credits to the theme by Vangelis. That for me is just perfect.

I'm not fond of 2.35:1 (or wider) transfers onto DVD, so I may give this release a miss. Warner Bros have promised a high def release which I will want for certain. My worry is currently that the new cut might be the only version on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and that Ridley Scott might be tempted to mess with my favorite end sequence of all time.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Emms
The best part about the film though is when you add the clues together there are subtle little arrows pointing to a second part to the plot and suddenly it all fits together like a jigsaw.... Thats the point you realise its one of the best films of all time, and it stands up to an amazing amount of analysis. Analyse most other sci-fi and you just find plot holes. Virtually every other scifi film Ive ever seen has to completely explain its entire plot (In case 1 person didn't get it) as they don't have the level of detail to fill 90mins leaving things obscured. Like a comedy that knows it has too few jokes to risk the audience missing one.
Wow... you really said it! However, as film-makers, let us put ourselves in the producer's shoes once in a while. Audiences are used to happy endings; the poor fellow was merely worried the film was going to tank. It did. We will never know whether it would have fared better without the "fix" which, I believe, was in response to a test screening...
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Okay, this is an old post, but I was just reading in Wikipedia that they "updated" the special effects. Anybody know if this is really true? I'm not a fan of all the tinkering they've done with Star Wars and E.T., but if they've gone and messed with this one it's a serious blow to film history. I think Blade Runner's greatest achievement is that it was first film to have truly modern looking special effects — and they did it somehow with oldschool technology. It never looks dated. Ever. If future generations can only view this movie with a bunch digital crap piled on there it will be truly sad and diminishes what the filmmakers originally accomplished.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #21
Trustee

I don't know, but the remastered DVD is already released, so someone should be able to find out.
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Any news on this? My copy is worn and needs to be replaced.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #23
American Society of Cinematographers

There was a remastered version that came out several months ago, but a new DVD box set w/ extras is slated to hit the stores in January, I think, so I'd hold off.
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #24
Trustee

Like I said, you can already by the no-frills copy--I saw it at BestBuy. The multi-disc editions are slated for release in 2007 (two of them, I believe), with BR and HD-DVD to follow, no doubt.
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

BTW David I love your work.

I just saw the poster for the Polish brothers new film, was there any talk about your involvment in the project? -- just jumped over to IMDB and there was my answer!! Congrats. did you keep a journal on this one?
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #26

The posts on the Astronaut Farmer shoot are scattered in this general area:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2...lter=all&st=90

There will also be an American Cinematographer and ICG Magazine article on the movie in February when the movie gets released.

You can see a trailer here:
http://comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15857
http://theastronautfarmermovie.warnerbros.com/
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #27
Major Player

I saw Blade Runner twice on consecutive days when it came out originally. Please, please, please let's have the original theatrical version on DVD. (If it already is, please let me know. I already have the earlier Director's Cut release on DVD).

By far the top of my list of movies...ever.

And I have a connection with it. I pay someone to keep my lawn tidy and his company is called The Blade Runner. I thought it was just a clever name. But, it turns out his dad is William Sanderson (the actor who played Sebastian).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #28
Wrangler

I was in Best Buy a couple weeks ago and they had the re-mastered version on sale for $6.99. Just looking at the box it didn't appear that this version was any different than the older one which I already had, so even though that was a great price I passed it by. Is the only difference the quality of the transfer? I never noticed any real problems with the older disc myself...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #29

Read the customers' reviews of the remastered DVD down at the bottom of this page:

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-D...707533-1572409

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark