DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Hear ye, hear ye: Blade Runner is remastered! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/68431-hear-ye-hear-ye-blade-runner-remastered.html)

Emre Safak May 29th, 2006 07:25 PM

Hear ye, hear ye: Blade Runner is remastered!

They finally did it: the 25th anniversary re-release of Blade Runner is official! I can't wait to see it; the existing DVD transfer does not do the film justice.

Frank Granovski May 29th, 2006 10:55 PM

You mean I have to buy yet another version? I own 3 all ready.

Frank Granovski May 29th, 2006 10:57 PM

Great link!
Quote:

...on DVD in 1997, is being restored and remastered for a brief reissue in September. For free access to this article and more, you must be a registered member of NYTimes.com

John C. Chu May 30th, 2006 07:39 AM

Oh geez...finally! That is really awesome news!

Bladerunner is on my short list of all time favorite films.

I hope Warner puts this out on HD-DVD at the same time--I'd buy one of the HD-DVD players just for this one film.

[Bladerunner is also the film that sold me on the LaserDisc format all those years ago.... Criterion had the only "letterboxed" version of this film available in the US]

I hope it gets all kinds of goodies....sketches, stills, commentary track, interview with Ford and Scott...the whole nine yards.

Keith Loh May 30th, 2006 09:43 AM

At one time I had the Laserdisc of the director's cut. Then I held off and held off and held off. Then I started getting worried that the powers that be were going to wait until HD-DVD to release it. Looks like I can finally plop down my money for one.

John C. Chu May 30th, 2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Loh
At one time I had the Laserdisc of the director's cut.

I have that also, in addition to my prized Criterion version.

Warner picked the worst side breaks ever for the director's cut---right in the middle of the chase of Zora[Joanna Cassidy]--you have to flip the disc!

Well, this new remastered version should be a revelation to BR fans.

Duane Smith June 1st, 2006 10:40 PM

Blade Runner is and always has been one of my favorite films, and it's by one of my favorite directors (Ridley Scott) and it's (loosely) based off a book by my favorite author (Philip K. Dick).

I admit I'm a total Blade Runner fan-boy, and I will buy every version they ever put out of this movie. Ha-ha! I've been waiting for this one for a while--it was supposedly completed in 2001 but has been stuck in legal battles ever since.

:-)

Eric Brown June 2nd, 2006 11:34 PM

"I'd buy one of the HD-DVD players just for this one film."

I'd be tempted as well. Throw ALIEN/ALIENS in there as well and I'd go for it. But I think those two are coming out on Blu-Ray?

Marcus Marchesseault June 3rd, 2006 03:48 AM

Bladerunner still stands as one of the only movies to deal with genetic engineering in a way that feels real. I don't buy the typical giant Kimodo Dragons and the lot, but love slaves and super-soldiers...that I believe. I don't buy flying cars, but they were so cool!

Mathew Kurtz July 10th, 2006 12:37 PM

And it's going to be a new director's cut too I heard. That's really exciting to me considering Scott's track record with director's cuts and the fact that this is one of the greatest movies ever made. I can't wait. I've put off buying the regular dir. cut dvd cuz of the lack of features and because I pretty much loathe snapper cases. I knew they'd put a proper version out sooner or later.

Charles Papert July 10th, 2006 10:41 PM

Looking forward to that edition. Fantastic film.

I had the delight of shooting in the Bradbury building (home to the toymaker character, the building with the wrought iron elevators) on a feature last year--it was exciting to create images in that legendary space.

(you can see a still from that portion of the shoot here, part of the slideshow on the home page. No trailer up there yet, unfortunately).

Frank Granovski July 11th, 2006 12:58 AM

I love Blade Runner, but I think I'll pop in a Star Trek movie shortly.

Mathieu Ghekiere July 11th, 2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert
(you can see a still from that portion of the shoot here, part of the slideshow on the home page. No trailer up there yet, unfortunately).

Some great lightening on a couple of those pictures, Charles, congratulations!

Emre Safak August 16th, 2006 05:28 AM

Pre-order your copy on Amazon. The interesting thing is that it's in stereo on one disc. Let's hope the information is wrong.

Steven Davis August 16th, 2006 06:12 AM

Ok, I'm not ashamed to admit I've never seen this movie.