DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   X-Men (III, 3): The Last Stand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/68536-x-men-iii-3-last-stand.html)

Michael Wisniewski May 31st, 2006 09:39 AM

X-Men (III, 3): The Last Stand

I enjoyed it, nice time at the movies, and IMO the best X-Men movie. It has more heart than the first two. There was a nice balance between the character's relationships and the special effects making it a good summer movie. It's not as great as the Spiderman series, but I left the movie thinking it was headed in same direction. Worth making the trip to the theatre. I don't own the first two, but I'm probably going to pick up the DVD for this one.

*********** SPOILERS BELOW ****************

Keith Loh May 31st, 2006 09:52 AM

I thought it was the worst of the three. The direction was just very ordinary. It was like the makers had to juggle too many plots. What was the major plot? The mutant cure? Dark Phoenix?

The best FX supported the most bizarre idea. I'm talking about the Golden Gate bridge. It just seemed like Magneto was just showing off (as were the FX people). Surely there were easier ways he could use his powers to move his people. Well, if he could uproot and move the Golden Gate (without it falling apart moreso) why couldn't he just have crushed Alcatraz from a distance? The last time I was there, Alcatraz had lots of metal. Let's say there wasn't enough metal to work with. Later on when he's opposed by the soldiers who are using plastic, you're telling me he couldn't rip off bits of metal from somewhere else (like that bridge) and make short work of the soldiers? I know I know - otherwise we wouldn't have had a superhero battle at the end.

Cole McDonald May 31st, 2006 10:31 AM

Wow Keith, you should invest in some stainless steel suspenders of disbelief. I liked it and didn't mind the logic gaffes Keith found in there. I felt it was the most epic of the three.

Keith Loh May 31st, 2006 10:44 AM

Hey I wouldn't have gone to see Xmen3 (or the first two films) if I couldn't suspend my disbelief. There's a difference between not being able to do that and throwing out a need for internal logic.

Cole McDonald May 31st, 2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Loh
Hey I wouldn't have gone to see Xmen3 (or the first two films) if I couldn't suspend my disbelief.

Good point ;)

Kevin Janisch May 31st, 2006 11:53 AM

Keith,

I'm in complete agreement with you about the bridge along with so many other things about the movie. X2 is by far my favorite super hero movie. X3 like T3 in my opinion are not part of the true franchise. Hopefully Singer will be back for X4 and clean up the mess and bring the franchise back to its proper glory.

Kevin

Jason Lowe May 31st, 2006 12:13 PM

I thought X3 was the end of the line, hence the title "The Last Stand".

Keith Loh May 31st, 2006 12:40 PM

So they say, but after the credits a certain someone makes a re-appearance.

Joe Carney May 31st, 2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Lowe
I thought X3 was the end of the line, hence the title "The Last Stand".

How about someone make a fan film where they are in their senior years, and Wolverine has come down with some sort of incurable virus that causes him to start rusting. And the rest only have maybe 1/10 of their powers left, and about the most powerful thing Storm can conjure up is a pleasant summer drizzle, so she hires herself out to water the neighborhood lawns once a week. In a fit of self rightous anger, they decide to pool their resources and take down the paperboy for not getting the daily news up on the steps..you all can take it from there.:-)
Oh, and cyclops has gotten a job at a local metal fabricating plant as some sort of human spot welder.

Real action stuff that would be, hehehehe.

Robert Kirkpatrick May 31st, 2006 02:11 PM

I'm in agreement with Keith on this one. All the plot holes, inconsistencies, and lame dialogue really kept me from enjoying the film. There's a difference between suspending your disbelief, and taking it out in the backyard and shooting it in the head.

David Jimerson May 31st, 2006 04:03 PM

(mild spoiler)

How about killing off a major character offscreen, with no fanfare, and no one even really seems to care?

How about when one second it's broad daylight, and the next it's the middle of the night?

Carlos Rodriguez May 31st, 2006 04:58 PM

Sloppy and disappointing

Do those words have a place for this movie? Originally when Brian Singer was given the job for the first movie, it was Brett Rattner who wanted to undermine the project and steal his budget. I think he's done a good job in doing this film. People say this is supposed to be the last movie, but with so many loose ends like that, and a really big franchise, how is that going to happen? Also there's the political side of the series. Brain Singer left for Superman after Rattner was fired from the picture, only because they took way too long to sign his deal. The story was taken from the "Astonishing X-Men" comics, which is a great story no doubt, but completely un-original.

And my own guilty selfishness to throw in I was extremely disappointed to barely see a sentinel... could have been a great addition to the climax of the picture, seeing how the major players of the sentinel project were in the picture i.e. Bolivar Trask...

Fox has a deal with Hugh Jackman for a solo pic. Hopefully they don't get stupid and call it just "Wolverine," "Weapon-X" would be cool, but a lot of background work on Wolvie was done in the first couple movies.
Halle Berry was given a bigger role in this obviously because she's become an A-list actress, and was demanding more money and a bigger role or she would leave the franchise... or so that's the word.

I'm tired, I think I'll stop complaining now...

Next picture... better developed story, more sentinels. Maybe Days of Future Past? Bishop and Cable? sweet :-)

Ben Brainerd May 31st, 2006 05:10 PM

Personally, I think Rattner needs to be shot. Not for any of the major issues (Of which there were quite a few...) but because he added (Or allowed someone to add) "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch". It wasn't all that funny as a stupid internet video, and it sounded amazingly cheesy and dumb coming out of Vinny Jones.

Eric Brown May 31st, 2006 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=Ben Brainerd]Personally, I think Rattner needs to be shot. QUOTE]

Alright, guys...go to AICN.com if this is where we're going with this. Remember, we're on DVinfo. Let's converse in a mature manner if possible. Thanks.

K. Forman May 31st, 2006 05:54 PM

Having been an Xmen fan since the first issue, I was mildly pleased by the 3 flix in general. There was also a huge amount of dissappointment with them too. They should have stayed truer to the story, starting with the original characters- Ice man, Angel, Hank McCoy, Gene Gray, and Cyclops. They would have been able to get the basic premises of the mutant battles, plus the sub stories, like Hank changing into Beast. He would have a better understanding of what it is like being that different than everyone else. Most of the others blend in with the homo sapiens.

But, they were ok. Bret Ratner's contribution was a highpoint in the trilogy, because it did finally unite the original Xmen... sort of. It was cool watching Ice man finally ice up, plus they finally did the danger room. It was a tad tame, but still cool.