The X-Files... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Trustee

SPOILER AHEAD! don't read if you don't wanna be spoiled silly!

i believe chris carter has already admitted (in interviews) that they didn't have an entire mythology planned out from beginning to end in s1.

they started the show with the premise to scare people (like Kolchak) and that was pretty much it. when people started digging the show and after s1, they felt they had a hit on their hands, THEN S2 chris+writing team started to fabricate the mythology based on the loose alien mythology in s1, which is pretty lean still compared to the scary episodes from s1-s3.

s4 is when a great # of mythology started to take over and you can see the effects of it beginning to build by late s3. they only made enough mythology (like pixie dust) to last through s5 or so. the mythology was essentially "explained" via Fight the Future film in '97 the season preceding the film s5. season6 (post film) pretty much finished and wrapped up the mythology (colonization) since s1.

in another words, XF DID tie up as much of the loose ends as possibly from season5-6 including the film. it's 2bad the fans didn't like it because it is very much what it is, a simple mythology/mystery that is literally explained and revealed to fans, but they hated it. they all think it's too simple, too much of a "copout". in fact, most fans didn't even KNOW the mythology had all but been unraveled.

ok. what IS the mythology? marcus, you already pointed out. that IS the mythology. it's pretty simple and can be summed up in a few sentences. what IS the resolution? in the film, remember the UFO that took off in the end? well, that was the colonization aliens and its black oil leaving for good. thus, closing black oil+colonization story arc. see here for MORE details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonis...The_X-Files%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndica...The_X-Files%29

what IS the resolution for syndicate? i believe one of the few last episodes was the one where the syndicate and their families all burned up. it was literal and figurative "reboot" of the franchise (that also coincided with bringing the 2 new leads into the show and lead to david exiting for the last 2 seasons). that concludes the syndicate thread. that's why s6-9 was much more loose and comedic in nature. less dark and more happy. millennium picked up the dark side =).

w/7-9, the XF team tried to do something with super soldiers as the mythology but i don't think that that went anywhere as well as the original alien colonization storyline did. what IS the resolution, Frank? it is that the super soldiers are preparing the way for the colonist aliens to come back in 2010 or somn (whatever Mulder's last few dialogue were). that's why mulder was so distraught in the end because he couldn't do anything about the oncoming alien invasion. prepping the way for the XF2 sequel =). unfortunately, XF2 is gonna' be a monster of the movie episode.

anyway, "The Truth" (the 2 parter series finale) is the most explicit. all of what i wrote above is pretty much culled from the truth. it went through the entire series and gave you a huge summary of the mythos (hence "The Truth"). reason why people don't like it? XF wasn't all about those 2 total mythological story arcs to begin with and they started to make stuff up by s4 onwards =).

i mean the characters in the finale explicitly stated, "the black oil+gray aliens", etc. all of it sounds absurd and ridiculous. but that's "The Truth". you may not like it, but that's ALL there is to it =).

the point is, it's the question that drives us (as Trinity said). it's the mystery of the unknown that keeps us watching. remember desperate housewives? after s1's season finale, the mystery was revealed, thus deflation of quality in the beginning of s2 despite NEW mystery. and s2's NEW mystery was already revealed halfway through leaving the latter half pure butter.

how about Lost. if they reveal the mystery of what's behind the island a great # of viewers will tune out. you never answer it and it'll be endlessly debated.

Last edited by Yi Fong Yu; June 26th, 2006 at 02:28 PM.
Yi Fong Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #17
Outer Circle

Yeah. No resolution. THAT's what I hated about the show. Otherwise, it was fun to watch.

By the way, the cancer man has had an acting school for years in downtown Vancouver. That's were the Kiwi, Zena, got her training. It was in the paper some years back.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #18
Air China Pilot

William B. Davis something school for Actor's Study.
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #19
Trustee

so you hate Lost because it has no resolution?
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #20
Outer Circle

Lost has resolution, little by little---unlike the X-files. In fact, Lost has a plot and a through line.
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #21
Major Player

Another great thing about the X Files is when you could watch the show on a sunday, then go into Vancouver on a wednesday and see Scully and Mulder doing there thing on the steps of the Vancouver Art Gallery. Kind of surreal in itself. :)

BUT i was actually glad it moved to California. If you have UFOs and Area 51 you have to have a desert.
That reminds me, their COPS episode was another interesting variation.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #22
Trustee

i loved their bermuda triangle thing =). very cinematic (as usual).
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #23
Outer Circle

Kelly, BC has deserts.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #24
Major Player

Sandy duney deserts?
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #25
Inner Circle

DVD boxes arrived... gosh those digipacks are beatiful, I'm glad I didn't went for those plastic M-lock things.

Watched an episode from season 1 today, episode "Eve"...
Really great, I felt 10 years old again, enthousiasm of the scripts and mood... LOVE IT!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #26
Trustee

you'll get so sick of high quality content that when you finish XF you will feel depressed nothing else on TV comes close. trust me... or... no 1.
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #27
Outer Circle

Quote:
Sandy duney deserts?
Oh, that would be Richmond, BC---part of Greater Vancouver. They used that for Mission to Mars, though they spray painted the sand. :-)
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I concur with all the positive comments about this show,
Rob Bowman and Kim Manners IMO were centrepoint players in the series survival. It was from Xiles that i took on a renewed interest of Star Trek TNG, and it turns out that many guest characters from TNG made their way onto XFiles itself (like Deepthroat).

Aside from the direction and cinematography, the stories, particularly the Mythology stories, really made the series one of those "must watch" type of shows.
With regard to the mythology, i feel that if they focused a lil more on that, it would have been even more intriguing and less dissapointing at its conclusion.
In addition, i feel that the series could have survived with Robert Patrick taking on the lead male role as his own persona was considerably stronger that Duchovny's making the show a lil more watchable as Patrick just had a better screen presence IMO
As for produciton values, i believe it was one of the first modern productions to implement cinematic techniques and tools, which is why many directors were more than happy to work with Carter. Total creative freedom with an almost limitless budget (produciton wise)

Yes, i sat through all 56 discs... all 9 seasons... every episode back to back LOL
If your an editor and youre lookign for company while you work, TV shows are the best solution IMO... LOL
From Xfiles to Star Trek TNG and Voyager i keep them playing and replaying as i edit my work...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #29
Outer Circle

I liked DS9 better than Voyager, though Voyager was okay. My favourite trek stuff are the movies.
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM   #30
Major Player

Seriously? In Richmond? I want a pic!
I have read that we have sand dunes in BC
but where? Ttell river? I cant find a pic.
Saskatchewan has some.
I actually learned that just a little bit ago.
:)
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark