The X-Files... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM   #31
Outer Circle

Quote:
Seriously? In Richmond? I want a pic!
A friend of mine took pics on the Richond set. It think it's near a dike---enough for a movie set like Mission to Mars.
Quote:
I have read that we have sand dunes in BC
but where? Ttell river? I cant find a pic.
Where ever it's been clear cut. :-)
Quote:
Saskatchewan has some. I actually learned that just a little bit ago.
:)
Manitoba has lots! On the east side of Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg plus in the Manitoba desert with Camp Shilo near the middle.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:23 PM   #32
Inner Circle

going back to XFiles and Star trek.. what ive noticed is that many series' success, such as Pretender, Voyager, Xfiles, etc succeeded with their continuity by involving a Mythos, in the case of Xfiles, youve got the "truth" with Voyager, the mythology was inadvertantly created by the arrival of 7 of 9, then the ongoing storylines involvng Borg, Species 8472 and of course 7of9, and with Pretender weve got the secrets of the centre and another "search for the truth" kinda theme..

thing is with these, having an ongoing mythos allows for not only an ongoing story, but a character driven exploration into these stories, which IMO allow for deeper understanding of the story itself.

Thats jstu me, but i feel that an ongoing stories make for better viewing
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM   #33
Outer Circle

The Pretender used to hang out in Kits Coffee. Man, is he short.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM   #34
Major Player

I am going to investigate that dike.

Back to the Xfiles--or rather a digression within the Xfiles--
I liked the original Star Trek and alot of shows that had single episodes--where you could interchange them. The mythos or soap opera variety only works if they have a clear idea of where they are going.The new Star Trek didnt do that with the Species 8472 plot thread. And it may detract in terms of repeat viewing(though i cant say for sure as I havent rewatched Star Trek, X Files, Voyager etc after the initial run). On the other hand--I can watch the Simpsons anytime without continuity problems.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:37 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Oh i agree.. with XFiles, the single epiosodicals were hour long features... LOL some of tehm were outstanding while others were just average, however i persoanlly always found the mythos type shows to last a little longer. As for species 8472 it was more the Borg storyline which intrigued me...

Every good story needs an enemy i guess.. well not always but u get what i mean
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:58 AM   #36
Major Player

The thing is, it was actually keeping with the original Star Trek to have the "villains" become sympathetic--like the Gorn wiping out an entire Earth Colony but Kirk vowing to use negotiation (after he uses a scratchbuilt bazooka against him :)

So I am not opposed to it--I just think the newer shows blew it in some respects by throwing in the towel early. NG introduced "Hugh" the nice Borg not too long after the famous 1990 cliffhanger.

The intro to Species 8472 was great--and interesting way to up the ante in terms of the Borg storyline--but then they had chakotay become romantic with one.
And that reminds me--didnt Chakotay and half the Voyager crew start off as a Federation rebels? They threw that out after a few episodes. Lost dramatic potential.

X Files. X Files. X Files.

I just added that to keep it relevant to the topic.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #37
Air China Pilot

Some of your criticisms about the latter Star Treks I think were heard by Ron Moore. His "Battlestar Galactica" remake really bulldozes the theme of "who is the enemy" with both external and internal conflicts.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #38
Trustee

regarding sand dunes in canada, don't you guys have google earth? i believe you can "zoom in" and check it out for yourselves.

re: Mythology. B5's the best example of a very well thought out plan (a "5" year mission no less).
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM   #39
Major Player

I dont have google earth in my default page setting. Or I just cant keep up with all the modern technology.

I havent watched the new Battlestar Galactica. I thought the original cylons were way cool(it helped that Ralph Macquarrie-from BC I think--designed both the look of BG and Star Wars). I did see Dirk Benedict's online critique though. I gather he wasnt pleased that they turned his character into a woman and now the show has lasted a couple years longer than the original, it threatens to eclipse memory of his original. I read about Richard Hatch's planned remake a few years back.

Havent watched Stargate either.
funny considering their local production base.

For me it was mainly X Files and Simpsons, now just the Simpsons.

I watched the newer Star Treks religiously until i caught Babylon 5 in reruns then Star Trek Voyager just didnt compare, so I skipped several episodes until the finale. And I only watched the first couple of Enterprise.

I really think they should drydock for a while.

Then again-Doctor Who keeps going and going.

I predict we will see a new X Files within 5 years. :)
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #40
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden
I havent watched the new Battlestar Galactica. I thought the original cylons were way cool(it helped that Ralph Macquarrie-from BC I think--designed both the look of BG and Star Wars). I did see Dirk Benedict's online critique though. I gather he wasnt pleased that they turned his character into a woman and now the show has lasted a couple years longer than the original, it threatens to eclipse memory of his original. I read about Richard Hatch's planned remake a few years back.
I also read Benedict's rant and IMO it was serious sour grapes with an ounce of chauvinistic crotchety old fella shaking a stick at those young 'uns. The only point I somewhat agreed with was his desire that studios stop remaking things and put their investment toward new ideas. But seriously the new BSG is very good.

BTW Hatch is in the remake - just not as Apollo.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #41
Major Player

Do the new Cylons talk?
The originals had a cool voice
http://hybrid.ualr.edu/~hudson/sounds/waves.htm
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM   #42
Air China Pilot

The new Cylons do talk and also strip naked.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM   #43
Major Player

I'm afraid to ask if Lucifer is in it--you might tell me they turned him into a Mac Daddy.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM   #44
Air China Pilot

There's no Lucifer but there is Lucy Lawless.
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #45
Trustee

kelly,

you should just try it out. take it for a spin. imho, and for many SF fans, BSG the new series marks the 2nd coming of the SF renaissance era. it's that good. just trust them and try it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark