Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Closed Thread

Old June 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Air China Pilot

Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth"

That was the best slide show presentation ever.

I'm not just being glib, it really took me back to my days as an undergrad snoozing through a badly taught class just dreaming about .. what if Professor So-and-so could have a big screen with like, you know, animation and video clips and had a real speaker's presence to jazz up a difficult concept. And now, fifteen years later, there it is! That was my dream lecture (albeit on film with several dozens of people behind the production).

Anyone else seen it?

Oh, by the way, on the subject of Global Warming. We're f****d.
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Major Player

there is really some good stuff out there by scientist that say we don't have a problem. I believe them over some guy who want to be president.

I won't waste my money seeing this movie
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Keith, I can't wait 'til Richmond goes.
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Having seen Gore's slideshow lecture, I was midly disappointed in the film inasmuch as it isn't much more than the lecture itself. I'm not sure whether the several interludes into Gore's life--his childhood on the farm, his son's tragic accident, his sister's death from lung cancer, his loss of the 2000 election, his travels all over the world to present the lecture--detracted from the environmental message, or simply made the subject of the film the message's journey rather than the message itself.

As documentaries go, Michael Moore's films and Morgan Spurlock's Super Size Me were more interesting watches.

I was impressed with a lot of Gore's voiceover narration segments. They came across as authentic and heartfelt, and Gore showed no hint of the lisp he sometimes let dominate his oration in his speeches 2001-2003.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
there is really some good stuff out there by scientist that say we don't have a problem. I believe them over some guy who want to be president.

I won't waste my money seeing this movie
This is certainly a silly attitude, don't you think? Why not see the film, look at its evidence, THEN decide whether or not it's full of b.s.?

And the movie has nothing to do with Gore wanting to be president. He's been doing this for years and years. Global warming, whether it's real or not, should have nothing to do with politics.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Rob, that is the problem with the movie. It is designed to be politically motivating. I'm not a big believer in Global Warming, not to say humans don't affect their surroundings. The funny thing about science these days, it seems that every time there is a study done of one thing or another, it becomes scientific law in the political realm. It's a little too early for me to say, "Hey let's spend 100 trillion on researching this topic". I believe that is why this film got made.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
Global warming and human contributions to it are well-documented and accepted by a large number of scientists from around the world, with a few holdouts who just happen to have ties to major industries. There really isn't much left to debate in terms of the science or the obvious fact that the planet is currently warming up; the key question now is what to do about it. Most likely we won't collectively do anything meaningful to slow this trend, so we'll just have to start dealing the consequences.

I'd recommend against buying property near sea level anywhere in the world, and if you live in areas prone to hurricanes or tornadoes you'd better have good construction or good insurance or both. Call it paranoia if you'd like, but Mother Nature is starting to strike back and the result ain't gonna be pretty...

P.S. I happen to be familiar with the scientific details and the basic logic behind the global warming debate, and it's for real. Politics or no politics, we're headed for trouble.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Trustee

The question is this: If humans were not on this earth, why were there Ice Ages and warm periods? Because it happens. Are we pushing it along? Yes. No. Maybe.

Watch the movie or don't watch the movie. I will, when it gets to cable. But not to watch because you don't like the politics is counterproductive. After all, "know your enemy" is just as valid a way to go. Right?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Wrangler

Everyone: just a friendly reminder from your local Wrangler... we have a zero tolerance policy for political discussions here at DVinfo and this thread is very close to the line....
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Trustee

I thought the film was evoking, interesting and well-done. Of course I watched it with no motivation or pre-conceived notions. Saying you dont believe in Global Warming is like saying you dont believe in the ocean. Most reputable scientists agree that it is indeed a problem, the debate is the timeline. Are we 20 years or 20 million years from ruining the planet?

Technically it was nice to see the HD and 16mm cut today, both transferred well to 35mm. The funny thing, is that had it been MM and not AG, I think most of the haters would have eaten it up...

ash =o)
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

One of the biggest things I've learned is that there aren't more tornadoes; more people are moving to where the tornadoes are, hence, more tornadoes affect those who made formerly unpopulated areas home. Hurricanes do more damage, especially in Florida, because the last 10 years, esp. the last 5, have seen tremendous population growth. More homes, more damage.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Let's be honest here, this is not an enviromental issue, as presented now, it is a political issue. Today it was disclosed that the global tempurature has raised one degree in the last four hundred years! Discounting the vast descrepances involved in how we have been measuring the tempuatures for 400 years, the difference is ONE DEGREE!

Read Michael Crichton's book. Think about how important you think we really are, and make a reasonable decision.

I think that Boyd is probably going to, and should stop this thread.

IMHO---Mike
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I think that Boyd is probably going to, and should stop this thread.
Unfortunately you're right. Both sides have had enough chance to express their opinions, so let's get back to discussing cameras, techniques, computers and the other things this site is dedicated to.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark