DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Open Range ‘making of’ documentary (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/70750-open-range-making-documentary.html)

Marco Leavitt July 3rd, 2006 10:51 AM

Open Range ‘making of’ documentary

I just wanted to point this out to anybody who might be interested. It’s actually pretty good bonus material. While it’s mainly just Costner talking, there’s no attempt to gloss over things and make movies look easy and fun to make. Costner actually has a lot of perceptive things to say about movies and film making. I actually came away from this disc with a lot more respect for the guy. He also deserves credit for not demanding that they make him look good all the time. There’s a couple of moments when he’s talking to some technical person (in one case it’s the composer!), and you can see the expression on their face is pure — I have to listen to you because you’re important, but I know what I’m doing so freaking leave me alone already! There’s another great part where some kind of line producer glowers down at a group of child actors huddled on the side of a hill and says, “now when that wagon comes around here, you have to get out of the way, you know why? Do you? Because it will RUN YOU OVER!” Then he stomps off, completely oblivious to the horrified looks on their faces. It’s classic. Anyway, check it out. I really recommend this — and the movie too. Great western.

Brent Adams July 3rd, 2006 02:24 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

I particularly love the moment near the beginning where Costner is talking, in no uncertain terms, about how much he despises the individual who is (supposedly) going to be securing a large chunk of the film's financing. The doc really shines where it focuses on some of the challenges and decisions faced by all independent productions.

I must say that I have never cared for Costner as an actor and while I appreciate some of his directorial efforts, none of them are sitting on my shelf. I was practically forced to watch Open Range by a friend and I cannot emphasize how much respect I have for the man now. His range as an actor is a bit limited in my opinion, but his passion as a filmmaker is quite inspirational. Open Range is one of the finest movie's I've ever seen. The script is just flawless and the cast is truly superb. The commentary and doc are just icing on the cake for a film no one should be without.

Mathieu Ghekiere July 3rd, 2006 05:32 PM

In Belgium, the extras of our dvd version only existed out of a "5 minute" promotional featurette :-(

And I thought the movie was okay, not much more, but a good movie.
And I really love making of documentaries, so I really regret not having that documentary on our dvd, otherwise I would have bought it already.