DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   any good summer movies out yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/71456-any-good-summer-movies-out-yet.html)

Frank Granovski July 14th, 2006 03:58 AM

any good summer movies out yet?

Just asking.

Keith Loh July 14th, 2006 11:49 AM

I've been disappointed by every 'summer' movie I've seen this year.

X-Men 3 was messy. Superman was boring. Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest was all over the place.

K. Forman July 14th, 2006 12:03 PM

Haven't seen Superman yet, X Men was dissappointing, but I did enjoy Pirates... which is more than I can say for my wife. She's none too happy with the cliffhanger ending.

Keith Loh July 14th, 2006 12:13 PM

I don't mind the cliffhanger ending but they seemed to go willy nilly all over the place. Not very focused.

The best film I've seen this summer was "The Proposition" which is as far from a summer movie as you can get. Unless you like gritty, brutal westerns set in the Australian outback.

Tim Goldman July 14th, 2006 02:24 PM

Doh! I was going to tell you to go see pulse, but it's an american remake, so I can't say anything about it. The original Pulse is a fine japanese horror movie directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa (nephew i think of the other kurosawa). Checking the american trailer it looks ...uh..it looks bad, once again hollywood has messed up. So there goes my thunder, right out the door...yuk!

Frank Granovski July 14th, 2006 04:55 PM

Maybe I'll go see Pirates of the Carribean this weekend.

Tim Goldman July 17th, 2006 11:05 AM

I just saw their releasing Azumi. This might be limited release or something, but anyway as I remeber (been a few years) it's a fun movie set in old japan. Has samurai and swords and the lead character is a japanese cutie. She's fairly deadly with her swords i thnk. This should be fun, and a nice change of pace. So there, go see that, if you can read this post, you can read the subtitles:P

K. Forman July 18th, 2006 10:53 AM

Clerks 2 starts Friday! Yay!

John C. Chu July 18th, 2006 04:45 PM

I'm waiting for Michael Mann's "Miami Vice"...

This might be the only film that motivates me enough to go to the theater this year instead of waiting for the DVD.

John Kang July 19th, 2006 05:22 AM

Clerks was a great film. I liked the dialog and the wit of the film. I think shooting in B&W actually helped sell the film more than if it was done in color.

Anybody else think the same?

I'll be going to the movies to watch C2 as well. Gotta love a director who'll stay mute throughout most of the film. :)

I saw Superman with the wife and kids-in-tow. I agree Superman was slow. Expected everything that all the other Superman movies were like. I can see Son of Superman coming out in the near future. Than the What IF series of Superman coming out. Remember those comic books?

Jacques Mersereau July 20th, 2006 07:35 AM

See Pirates!!!

K. Forman July 20th, 2006 07:42 AM

"What If" was a Marvel series. Not likely you'll see Supes in it... but then again, they have had many crossovers.

John Kang July 22nd, 2006 10:26 AM

Just watched Clerks II last night.

Well...It's got everything thrown in that'll make a movie a hit. Controversy, Adultry, More Adultry (Interspecies Erotica), Gay Issues, Racism, Topics about other popular movies, and Randal.

Clerks just wouldn't be a movie without the controversial Randal.

The crowd loved Jay, when he starts dancing to a certain music. "Oh!"
See him doing a pose from another movie called "Silence of the Lambs." I think it had the biggest laugh in the film.

I've learned a racial slur I've never heard before because of this film. I thought I had heard it all. Having grown up in east L.A., about two months in Missouri, you'd think I would have heard a reference like ***** Monkey. I'm not sure how well this will be taken by the black community but I think Kevin Smith manages to pull it off with the wit of the film. It addresses an issue about ignorance and racism.

Of course...the man also talks about "something to mouth" You never go "something to mouth." Of course, the actress says, "I wouldn't admit it to Randal, but on some occasions, it's okay to go something to mouth."

Kevin Smith truly pushes the bar in topics covered on this film.

Note that a police officer was standing in front of the entrance to the screening of Clerks. That's how seriously this film was concidered beyond child/teen humor.

Than again, you have debates about what's better; The Star Wars Trilogy or Lord of The Rings Trilogy. Who wants to watch a boring film about a group walking? Three movies about walking. ****, even the trees are walking!

I still loved the film. Humor couldn't be beat!

Dennis Stevens July 24th, 2006 09:42 AM

I also cast my vote for Clerks 2.... I know many critics have panned it, but I strained something laughing....

I thought Randal was incredible.... I haven't seen that actor in anything besides Kevin Smith movies, he sort of stole the film.