Star Trek: TOS Remastered in HD! But... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Star Trek: TOS Remastered in HD! But...

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/23775.html

Interesting news... I've heard that they are remastering the original Star Trek TV show in HD for syndication and future HD-DVD/Blu-ray release...

But what I *didn't* know was they are going to "enhance" the old episodes with new CGI effects.

Uh...hello? George Lucas anyone?

Just because Lucas can do it with his Star Wars movies, Paramount figures they can go ahead and redo the old show..

I don't like it already. There are gonna be some upset Star Trek fans..

Remaster/clean up in HD: Yes.
Redo effects: NO!

*edit for spelling.

Last edited by John C. Chu; September 2nd, 2006 at 08:00 AM.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Major Player

As long as they keep the originals available I dont really care.

I am more interested in the rumor that Nimoy and Shatner may appear in the new Star Trek movie. The only way I would go to a theater is to see them together probably for the last time.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The originals are still available, so it's not that big of a deal. I can appreciate the remastering, but the fx and cgi? There really wasn't all that much in the original episodes as I recall. An ocassional shot of the ship orbiting the planet. The transporter effect, and the phaser blasts... beyond that, it was mostly costumes and rubber makeup. The big thing was always the story element, the sociological aspect of the story line. I can't see where there is a lot of room for more CGI.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Maybe the HD stuff is better? VHS playback s_cks. I just watched a "Kirk" movie.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Major Player

I'd love the other shows in HD, but TOS? I mean thats what makes it so good, the cheesiness of the effects! I'd buy the Voyager/DS9/TNG episodes in a heartbeat if they were a reasonable price on bluray!
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #6
Wrangler

I've just watched the first three Star Trek movies again, and it was fun. After watching. After watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture I watched the documentaries on the second disk of the "Directors Edition." Much to my amazement, they added CGI effects to this movie also - just like George Lucas. I suppose it's a tribute to them that I didn't notice during the movie itself (or maybe it's just a comment on how unobservant I've become). The production team said they went to a lot of effort to make the CGI match the style of the original movie. Robert Wise supervised the work.

Anyway, it really surprised me because I wasn't aware this had been done for the DVD.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Jubal 28

They're also re-recording the music and sound effects.

I think this is completely unnecessary.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Where's the widescreen? The show is NOT availible in widescreen.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #9
Outer Circle

I've got all the Star Trek movies on VHS 4:3. Works for me.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Major Player

This past weekend, I went to Christie's here in NYC to view the "40 Years of Star Trek" collection [the auction starts today.]

It's quite a collection of costumes and props from the new shows and movies, but practically nothing from the original show.

There are a few things I wonder why anyone would really buy... like a sick bay bed. [not from the original show.]

The one item that I would want to buy, if I were Paul Allen or Bill Gates, is the model of the Enterprise used in Star Trek the motion picture...all the way to the last original Star Trek VI. They just redetailed the lettering from NCC-1701 to A. The Enterprise is awesome looking...it's size of a dinner table.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/s...jectID=4780563

For film makers and special effects/props guy...it's amazing and magical how this stuff looks like on film...but in person you are sometimes let down--such as the painted insignia badges that worn by the next generation crew. I also liked how plywood could be painted and dressed to look like rusted steel as seen in the Klingon ships from the movies.

Better register quick if you want to bid!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #11
Jubal 28

That'd be some dinner table -- it's 11 feet long!
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu
The one item that I would want to buy, if I were Paul Allen or Bill Gates, is the model of the Enterprise used in Star Trek the motion picture
Very interesting, too bad I've already got a big balance on my Amex card this month ;-) Watch the features on the director's cut DVD. Douglas Trumbull complains that the Enterprise model was too small, making it difficult to get the shots he wanted.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I had the great good fortune of visiting the Smithonian Air and Space exhibit when they did the Star Trek tour... back in... 92 or '93 I think. You got to stand on the transporter deck, and they played that weird beam-up effect. Wild. Also had a lot of original costumes, props. Most of the main deck. Pretty good stuff, but yeah, really cheezy close up.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Somewhere I saw the CGI crew talking about this... they said that they are really staying within the original aesthetic. The quote was "You won't see the Enterprise doing barrel rolls." They also rerecorded all the music from the original score, and retimed the original film.

On the other note, Shatner has said there is no truth to the rumour that he is involved in the next movie... not that he wouldn't like to be, but he hasn't been asked (yet).
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Douglas Trumbull complains that the Enterprise model was too small, making it difficult to get the shots he wanted.
I remember seeing "Star Trek The Motion Picture" on the big screen when it came out in 1979(?)-- it was and still is, a very memorable experience.

I had only experienced the original tv show in reruns as a kid and was really excited about a film version.

From the heroic opening musical theme by Jerry Goldsmith to my favorite moment in the film, the first time the audience sees the Enterprise in drydock--the first film is great--despite the flaws.

Seeing the Enterprise "life size" and with human beings for scale...I finally got a sense of the size of the ship. I, as kid, felt like I was actually in space. It was magical for me.

Nowadays, I see some 2001: A Space Odyssey influences[Spocks journey into V'Ger---hey wait-a-minute---Superman:The Movie also had a 2001 inspired sequence] which was kind of "boring" but still, the first film was good stuff.

It's funny though[and has been mentioned before] CGI spaceships don't seem real to me but the Enterprise in the movies feels real.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark