DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   UGLY BETTY (stupid) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/76454-ugly-betty-stupid.html)

Frank Granovski September 29th, 2006 01:04 PM

UGLY BETTY (stupid)

I watched it last night. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. I'm going to pass on this one too, in the way of new TV shows. So now I'll hold out for Lost, 24 and Dr. Who. I wish they'd bring back Captain Kirk and boys, though.

Tim Hodgson September 29th, 2006 06:09 PM

"Captain Kirk and the boys" ??? Really Frank, you're showing your age don't you think??

Mike Teutsch September 29th, 2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
"Captain Kirk and the boys" ??? Really Frank, you're showing your age don't you think??

Sure would beat a lot of the current crop of shows! :)

Mike

Chris Barcellos September 29th, 2006 06:36 PM

Captain Kirk does just fine on Boston Legal.....

Thomas Smet September 29th, 2006 07:00 PM

Maybe we can have a new show called "Enterprise Legal" where Kirk retires and becomes a lawyer that flirts and sleep with all the hot young alien chicks.

oh wait...

I'm sure that would really get Star Trek on track again.

Jaadgy Akanni September 29th, 2006 07:08 PM

I for one, have never liked second and third generations of a show whose original version was so brilliantly done. I saw the original colombian version of "Betty La Fea"(Ugly Betty) which I loved, but was nauseated after watching a few seconds of the mexican version. I can imagine how horrible the american version is. In most cases, when a remake of a brilliant piece is made, producers and writers miss the point and sin from omitting the aspects that made the original version so good. It could be the actors, the writing, the camera work, the timing of the dialogue-but something always goes wrong.
The same can be said about "LA FEMME NIKITA" which was remade in america under the title "Point of No Return"- just horrendous.
However I did like "Vanilla Sky" which was a remake of the original spanish blockbuster "Abre Los Ojos"(Open Your Eyes). But this was an exception.

Richard Alvarez September 29th, 2006 08:49 PM

Synchronicity... I just turned on the Tube and guess what's showing

TERROR at 20,000 FEET

The great Twilight Zone episode with Shatner as the guy who spots the creature on the wing of the plane during a stormy night flight. You youngsters MIGHT remember the remake. But man, what a cheezy costume this creature has. Oh well, black and white noir lighting in a plane, at night.. yeah, it's still good.

Don Bloom September 29th, 2006 09:19 PM

One of the ALL time BEST ever episodes of any TV show.
I do remember it! Kinda frightening! (that I remember it that is:-)
Don

Frank Granovski September 30th, 2006 03:52 AM

Maybe I'll have to get more channels...for better quality re-runs. :-(

J. Stephen McDonald September 30th, 2006 04:40 AM

For me, of the 8 new prime-time shows I've watched, only two are possible keepers and the rest throwaways. There were some interesting and well-done Summer series this year, but they have all disappeared without any word of their possible revival later. The very worst new shows I've seen, despite having well-known actors and big budgets, are "Shark" and "Justice". I could barely make it through their pilot episodes. Really good shows vanish and bad ones survive-----good thing this reverse-Darwinism doesn't apply to species as it does to television.

Nate Schmidt September 30th, 2006 11:33 AM

If we're talking about good shows that disappear... I miss Firefly :(

Don Donatello September 30th, 2006 12:14 PM

i thought Betty was very good ... have to see if they can keep it up for weeks ... i wonder how much demographic's is playing in liking and disliking betty .. ... over 50 here and like it

Glenn Chan September 30th, 2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

I for one, have never liked second and third generations of a show whose original version was so brilliantly done. I saw the original colombian version of "Betty La Fea"(Ugly Betty) which I loved, but was nauseated after watching a few seconds of the mexican version. I can imagine how horrible the american version is. In most cases, when a remake of a brilliant piece is made, producers and writers miss the point and sin from omitting the aspects that made the original version so good. It could be the actors, the writing, the camera work, the timing of the dialogue-but something always goes wrong.
It seems like sequels / remakes rarely live up to the original, but I think that's because the originals are really good. Whereas if you make any show, you are likely to end up with something average. It's not like you're going to churn out hit after hit after hit.

It's because people don't churn out hit after hit after hit that the sequels rarely live up to the original. As far the originals go, they aren't worth remaking unless they were a hit to begin with (with some exceptions I suppose). Once in a while a sequel will be better than the original... by chance, that's to be expected.

The concept in statistics is called "regression to the mean".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean

Gabriel Yeager September 30th, 2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Schmidt
If we're talking about good shows that disappear... I miss Firefly :(

I'm with Nate! That was a good show! The only show that I'm hooked on right now is, "Prison Break"! That is an awesome show!

~Gabriel~

Frank Granovski September 30th, 2006 03:28 PM

I didn't know that Ugly Betty was a remake, a copy of the original. The new Betty was promoted as a new original show. Liars! :-)