Children of Men at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Children of Men

Who already saw this film?

I saw it in Belgium tonight, and it promptly got a place in my favorite movies of all time.

Very raw, and if I should describe it into one word, it would be: INTENSE!

The movie has sequenses that will give you emotional and fysic chills, I thought some sequences, by their cinematographic intensity, could match Saving Private Ryan.

Everyone who loves the darker and better mainstream film, go see this magnificent film!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Thanks for the note. I really liked the trailer and it has a good pedigree.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/childrenofmen/
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes, I already now saw the movie will come out in USA only in december, so that suck's for everyone in America.
Please don't download it, because you really should see it for the first time on the big screen for it's impact!

First half hour was okay, for me, nothing more, but then a very shocking scene happens (you'll know which one if you see the movie) and from then on, it's non stop intense.

Very dark and depressing and harrowing, however, not for the faint of heart. And some scenes give me such chills, at one time I felt a bit jealous that I didn't make that movie.

My compliments for everyone involved, you all did a bang up job.

Ps: Keith, I expected a very good movie because of the trailer too, and the good reviews (in Europe) and the movie was able to top it.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

ive seen the film and loved it. gave me the same sort of feeling that the better parts of 28 days later did.

i havent seen or heard anything here in canada in anticipation to any sort of release.. just all on the internet.. which is a shame because this is in my opinion one of the better movies of the year.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Trustee

How come I missed this thread? I put it on my "to see" list as soon as I saw the the Alfonso Cuarón and the trailer. Glad it turned out better than "The Fountain", the other film I had hopes for this year.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Major Player

This was one the best films i have ever seen - in terms of cinematography - the climatic scene toward the conclusion of the film - with the single camera run, was nothing short of amazing - highlight of the year in film. In a year packed with great films - it really stood out for me.
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Trustee

This is a great film in terms of moviemaking but seemed to fall flat on story to me. Maybe I went in expecting more, I dont' know. You should go see it, if only for how well it was shot.
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Air China Pilot

I agree with you about the story but I think some films are more about a feeling than being plot-driven.

I wasn't bothered at all that they never got to the bottom of the overarching conflict. It was more about the journey and the fact that the characters were willing to sacrifice themselves for hope - even if the hope was undefined.

The production and action elements were outstanding. At least three great action set pieces that never once made you feel like it wasn't real. The director and his cinematographer's work was astounding. I was riveted. The use of hand-held, the continuous work, extras, choreography, totally amazing.

Also graphics geeks are going to drop their jaws.
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

By the way, a very similar movie with similar ambiguity is Michael Haneke's "Time of the Wolf". Again, the central conflict is never resolved. In fact it is not important. What is important is how people survive and deal with the situation.
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Nice to read you already saw it in the meanwhile, Keith!

I agree with you by the way: the movie is about the character's reaction on a practical hopeless climate, with lots of terror, emotions, drama and sacrifices.

It's a shame to see that Universal didn't promote this movie properly and released it really badly in the States.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #11
Trustee

if you've ever played Half-Life and its sequel PC video game, then you've already experienced this sorta' post apocalyptic world. if HL was a movie, this would sorta' be what it'd feel like.

again, it's not so much the story/plot elements as how cuaron stylized it. cuaron is the guy that is original, not the story archetype (going back to there's only 7 stories in the world, etc.).

i loved it, it was awesome. there's a lot of humanity/compassion behind the work. it's also one of the very best SF movies to have come out in a looong, long time.
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #12
Trustee

I agree with the Half-Life reference, but it's Half-Life 2 that is similarly stylized as opposed to the first game. The styling of Half-Life 2 was the best part of the whole game. I can't believe the producers of Children of Men were able to get that whole city set to look right and to be able to shoot in such a flowing manner. It really gave a great sense of the place and the intensity of the action. Only Saving Private Ryan has had comparable battle cinematography. Of course, the best part of Children of Men is that it wasn't at all like Saving Private Ryan except where needed. They did a great job of showing the everyday life of people in this fictional world.

I really liked the writer's view of politics that came through in the movie. I don't want to start a political discussion, but I really hated all political sides in the movie as I usually do in real life. Once you see the movie, you will know what I mean. I really liked how almost nobody was the good guy for their own various reasons.

"Don't forget! Saaaddd fuji faces!"
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark