DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Lost with Lost (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/79198-lost-lost.html)

Frank Granovski November 8th, 2006 06:47 PM

Lost with Lost

What ever happened with the girlfriend looking for her "lost" boyfriend? Do you recall the episode? She's hired these experts who seem to have discovered the island using magnetic readers or something like that.

What is that black mist that kills these poor souls?

Are "the others" "the good guys" or really the bad guys?

Who the Hell are some of these new people from the plane crash? Think we wouldn't notice?

It's become really stupid. No wonder Lost won't be coming back 'til Feb. after tonight's episode.

Nate Schmidt November 8th, 2006 09:59 PM

I agree with you totally Frank, I used to be a huge fan until mid-way during Season 2 I realized I just wasted an hour of my life watching Sawyer look for a tree frog that was giving him a headache. It's full of random story lines that are "connected" in bizarre ways. I've been watching just to see if it gets any better but I don't think it will. Oh well... there's always 24 to look forward to :)

Brian Duke November 8th, 2006 11:08 PM

I am almost "lost" on lost too. Its just ridiculous and its getting to the point where the plot and characters are so convoluted that it is difficult to follow and they will eventually lose their audience. IF, and only IF, they had wrapped it up in the first season it would have going down in history, in my opinon, as the greatest TV drama ever. However, greed has gotten the bets of them.

Greg Boston November 8th, 2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I am almost "lost" on lost too. Its just ridiculous and its getting to the point where the plot and characters are so convoluted that it is difficult to follow and they will eventually lose their audience. IF, and only IF, they had wrapped it up in the first season it would have going down in history, in my opinon, as the greatest TV drama ever. However, greed has gotten the bets of them.

They lost me after the first season by not giving continuous new episodes each week. I have better things to do than to figure out whether this week will be a new episode or a repeat. But even in the first season, they seemed to bring things into the story and then never get back to them. Like the large, unseen animal that attacked and killed in the first few episodes. I kept waiting to see what that thing was, and they never came back to it. Last I saw, Sawyer shot at it with a pistol.

-gb-

Chris Colin Swanson November 9th, 2006 12:17 AM

I have to agree with you all and I am still sickly hooked despite. I think its because I played the game myst and I find it to be a version of that game. I keep holding on to the faith that at some point they are going to put the threads together and it will become clear but I am seriously doubting that more and more. The more I watch the more I think it is not a great puzzle like Myst but just a strange soap opera with no intention of connecting it and only leading me on with the extranious intrigue.

Frank Granovski November 9th, 2006 12:30 AM

It's reminding me of the X-files more and more....

At least Jack outsmarted them on today's episode---or did he? Like I'm going to bite my fingernails 'til Feb. to find out? Screw it.

Barry Gribble November 9th, 2006 09:11 AM

I've actually been enjoying it... not quite as much as last season, but I still think they do a good job. I'm very curious about how they are going to get us back to everyone being together on the island.

Regarding the new survivors - they have always been there, floating around in the background not showing their faces. There are something like 40 survivors, and we only regularly see the 9 or so that we like. The rest are there to be injected in to the story as needed. If you look at the big funeral scenes or the sending away of the raft, they have quite a crowd. The rest just don't seem to matter.

Brian Duke November 9th, 2006 10:52 PM

My theory is that the Island is actually the place where they go to die, or that they may all have died already. Think about it, they all have shady backgrounds, they seemed to be doomed from the plane crash. So far a lot of them have died. Its just place to find out why they are dying and perhaps redeem themsleves in some way. that is why they have surreal monsters etc. Its death coming after each one, slowly, like Echo. After Echo died form that black smoke I knew it wasn't real anymore, and that it may be a haven for them to face their death.

Barry Gribble November 9th, 2006 10:59 PM

Brian,

The producers stay pretty tight-lipped on big themes, but the "they are already dead" and purgatory theories came out pretty early and they very specifically said it wasn't the case. I just watched the season one special features (good info there) and they said that they fealt that if they let that theory go people might lose investment in what was happening to the characters.

Brian Duke November 10th, 2006 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
Brian,

The producers stay pretty tight-lipped on big themes, but the "they are already dead" and purgatory theories came out pretty early and they very specifically said it wasn't the case. I just watched the season one special features (good info there) and they said that they fealt that if they let that theory go people might lose investment in what was happening to the characters.

I never heard of my theory before, but then again, I don't really read much about the show anyway, since I caught onto it late.

I don't necessarily think "they already died," however, I do think, due to the abnormal Island behavior and the constant "killing off" the characters, there is a hint that this may be a place where they are going to die. Sort of like Jacobs Ladder, i.e. in between living and dying. And they are simply experiencing their past sins etc.

Think about this:

John Locke began to walk again on the island with no explanation.
Echo died from a "black smoke" that threw him around.
They can't get off this island.
They all seem to die off slowly.
They all seem to have shady pasts that they are trying to amends.

What other possible LOGICAL explanation could there be? The whole series thus far makes no sense, but has enough character development and cliffhangers to get an audience to keep watching. But NO movie would have gotten away with the amount of unexplained plots and characters as Lost.

Keith Loh November 10th, 2006 10:28 AM

I actually liked the cliffhanger from this episode. Crazy Jack is more interesting than Jack the Loser. And I got to see Kate who I can watch just staring into nothingness for an hour.

I'm still holding out that they will bring the dog Vincent back and devote one whole episode to his flashback.

Barry Gribble November 10th, 2006 11:00 AM

That would be really funny...

Frank Granovski November 10th, 2006 04:45 PM

Maybe the dog had a shady past too, like eating a cat, and the evil black mist got it.

Jason Bowers November 25th, 2006 09:13 PM

After Season 1 the original writer and creator of the series quit to work on a big movie. That is why the show dropped some of it's plots and has gone in a new direction. The people added this season were brought in to keep our attention and wonder what their backstory will be. They can now spend most of the season on them. The black smoke if you listen has a mechanical sound to it almost like a machine or a safety mechanism Locke said. Last season they killed Michelle rodriquez off because of her legal matters, and Michael and Walt had to go if they were to continue the slow time lapse of the story. It would look odd if only 50 days had passed and Walt starts growing a beard.

Barry Gribble November 26th, 2006 01:55 AM

I actually read that Michelle Rodriquez only took the job on the condition that it would be for a single season from the start. She said she's restless that way.