DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   has anyone seen the new Bond yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/79919-has-anyone-seen-new-bond-yet.html)

Frank Granovski November 18th, 2006 04:10 AM

has anyone seen the new Bond yet?

Any good or hokey?

William Brunk November 18th, 2006 08:34 AM

IMO
By far fewer gadgets. Grittier. Only one "Bondism" that I recall. More realistic in that Bond takes some hits and it shows. Craig seems to be a good actor.
The girl wears way too much make up most of the time. She looks far better with less. (Connery is still the best)

Greg Boston November 18th, 2006 08:43 AM

Frank, I haven't seen it but it's getting great reviews by the local tv critics. The consensus is that it departs from the cheesy Bond movies of the past and is much more dark and serious, like the Batman movies.

-gb-

Barry Gribble November 18th, 2006 08:45 AM

I personally think that it was the best Bond film ever - and I am a big Bond fan. The previous recent films had gotten so hokey to me, trying to one-up the previous with the craziest gadgets and stunts - ending last time with Bond driving an invisible car and surfing 40 foots waves off Iceland using only piece of plane reckage and a parachute. It just got to be too much. They finally modernized the franchise (ironically by going back to when he first gained 007 status).

This film had stronger characters (including Bond), a good plot, and some great action. The direction was strong, the acting was good, he cinematography was very nice. I highly reccomend it.

Lorinda Norton November 18th, 2006 09:55 AM

I agree with everything Barry said; for me it's the best Bond film ever. When I saw last summer that Daniel Craig had been cast I thought I'd hate it, but he did a fabulous job. He's exactly what I think the Bond character should be, and this is coming from a Sean Connery fan!

Frank Granovski November 18th, 2006 06:48 PM

I guess I'll take the wife along since we are both Sean Bond fans. I hardly go to movies any more. Now I'll have to find where it's playing with included parking. No, I don't want to drive to Richmond, or worse, Surrey. Thanks for the feedback.

Nick Weeks November 18th, 2006 11:03 PM

I agree with everyone so far. No special gadgets (a few, but not spectacular... plus "Q" never makes an appearance here). It's very much more realistic, but also very entertaining. I also got tired of all the cheesy lines that came to be with Pierce Brosnan.

I also originally hated that Daniel Craig was going to be bond, but I was stunned by his performance. Chris Cornell does the opening song, which is OK, but Goldfinger is still my favorite :)

Highly recommended for any Bond fan

Barry Gribble November 20th, 2006 07:21 AM

I was bummed to see that CR came in second in the weekend gross race... but then I clicked through to find it came in second with $40M+. I don't think anyone is minding that.

Nick Weeks November 20th, 2006 08:02 AM

That's quite impressive, it also got a 95% on rottentomatoes.com, which is equally as impressive.

Also, does anyone know what gun Craig is holding in the last scene of the movie? It almost looks like some type of HK, but I'm almost sure they'd use a Walther. I can't seem to find much info on this yet...

Barry Gribble November 20th, 2006 08:23 AM

I read somewhere else that they went back to the PPK on this one, having switched a while back.

Steven Davis November 20th, 2006 08:33 AM

I can't get past the 'blond' bond enough to watch it. It would be like seeing Charlie Brown in a purple shirt.

Barry Gribble November 20th, 2006 09:01 AM

I understand that being a big Connery fan, but I can pretty much promise it won't even cross your mind after the first 5 minutes... I truly didn't even notice until someone mentioned it after.

Nick Weeks November 20th, 2006 10:52 AM

Sean Connery is still the best, I agree, but I think Daniel Criag is a close second... despite being blonde.

I went into this movie with low expectations and was blown away before the title screen even played. I'm actually going to see this a second time tonight, it was that good.

Ken Willinger November 20th, 2006 10:49 PM

Excellent film. I liked the B&W segment and the Film Noiresque take they did on it. Also some very cool lensing and angles throughout the film. The lighting in some of the interior car scenes was very nice. Lighting in cars can be very tough.
Really good action scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat. This actor is as good as Connery ever was as Bond...and I didn't expect that. It's good to have Bond back!!

Kevin Shaw November 20th, 2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
The previous recent films had gotten so hokey to me, trying to one-up the previous with the craziest gadgets and stunts - ending last time with Bond driving an invisible car and surfing 40 foots waves off Iceland using only piece of plane reckage and a parachute.

Which movie was that? I must have missed one.