DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   BATTLESTAR best show ever? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/80672-battlestar-best-show-ever.html)

John Vincent November 30th, 2006 10:26 AM

BATTLESTAR best show ever?

The past 7-8 episodes of season three have been nothing less than great, with the fourth (representing a culmination of a part story arc) being breathtaking.

Hard to believe that the show has actually gotten better, but it has. It has guts and all the right stuff. It hasn't stumbled or cheaped out (the way that season 3 of STAR TREK - TOS did). Not only is it relevant to current social situations, it's also a fun popcorn chomper.

The five best non-news TV shows are arguably STAR TREK, MASH, I LOVE LUCY, THE SIMPSONS, and now GALACTICA. I've always argued the Trek is the best, not only for the actual show, but also for all of its post-cancellation importance (1st syndicated show, all of its social relevance, the films, the spin offs, the overall impact on science fiction as a whole, including TV/movies), and, to a lesser extent, the never ending popularity of Shatner.

GALACTICA, with some 60 odd episodes in the can by the end of this season (this counts the pilot), it will perhaps take over the 2d spot, perhaps the first. Lucy pioneered sit-coms, not only the idea of them, but how they are actually shot (ie - the 3 camera set up), and I've already noted Trek's importance to TV.

But GALACTICA features all the social relevance of Trek and MASH, without getting sanctimonious about it. MASH, esp after Alan Alda took over, became too preachy. The SIMPSONS, while usually still watchable, has long ago lost it's greatness. Trek, esp in the 3rd season, was often victimized by ever smaller budgets and censorship, as well as some just horrible plots (see SPOCK'S BRAIN). By the end of season 3 of STAR TREK, it was clear that it had blown it's wad - much as MASH did and the SIMPSONS are doing. LUCY, SIMPSONS, and MASH are ultimately comedies and I think this lessons their importance when compared to dramas.

At this point, there hasn't been a stinker in the bunch for BG, and many of the shows are instant classics.

What remains to be seen is if BG can garner wide recognition. The 2-hour season 3 premiere, "Occupation" / "Precipice," earned a 1.8 average household rating and drew an estimated 2.2 million viewers.

This is a two percent increase from the second half of Season Two, which aired on the cable network from January to March. The show saw bigger gains in the viewers age 25 to 54 demographic (seven percent), and viewers 18 to 49 (4 percent). The new episode of Galactica brought up the network's ratings an impressive 75 percent from the same period a year ago, representing a total viewership increase of 93 percent. The same key demographics increased more than 100 percent.

But, as good as this is for the sci-fi channel, it doesn't seem to have really gotten into the consciousness of the public. Yet. Hopefully it will, and hopefully the show can continue for another season or 2. Maybe not as important as some shows, but just possibly better. If you haven't seen the show, check it out...
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

Marcus Marchesseault November 30th, 2006 04:22 PM

BSG (I hate initials, but it is easier to explain them in parenthesis than write out that title repeatedly) is far better than recent Star Trek iterations. I can't compare it to comedies as it is not the least bit lighthearted in many episodes. BSG is a great show because of it's writing and decent acting. It's production value is also quite good, especially considering it is not a high-budget show.

I like BSG because it has everything a viewer would want, although it is a dark show and light on comedy. It has: sex, love, hate, revenge, guilt, sympathy, treachery, genocide, terrorism, birth, combat, rebirth, imprisonment, slavery, and practically every character in the show is somehow involved in all of it. There are lots of great characters. It doesn't seem to treat the audience like idiots, yet it doesn't have an unapproachable feel. Also, due to the high emotion content and prominent female characters, it seems like this is a Sci-fi show that is not aimed directly at males. Actually, I think the prominent female characters add tremendously to the enjoyment for the male audience, but the issues they deal with are for both genders. Often, male and female interest are segregated into action and chickflick sorts of shows/movies. BSG doesn't seem to have any gender considerations at all. It is just human.

One thing, this is a serial show and is best seen starting from it's beginning as a miniseries. It looks great on DVD. Also, it has little to do with the original series. The original was really cheesy, even if it did have some good episodes.

John Vincent November 30th, 2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
I like BSG because it has everything a viewer would want, although it is a dark show and light on comedy. It has: sex, love, hate, revenge, guilt, sympathy, treachery, genocide, terrorism, birth, combat, rebirth, imprisonment, slavery, and practically every character in the show is somehow involved in all of it.

That's a great way to put it Marcus. It really does feel like an ancient Greek Tragedy in many respects, but totally modern and as you say, approachable. Not that every episode is a tragedy (some can be quite funny or action packed), but it does seem to talk more about the human condition, particularly in war time, better than any show yet made.

john

Edward Slonaker December 1st, 2006 03:37 PM

What I find interesting and entertaining about BSG is that, if you were to take away all the "sci-fi" in it, it would still be a great drama. My wife is NOT a sci-fi fan by any stretch, yet she likes this show. Really good writers and actors make the difference. Yet, it's a shame it doesn't draw the recognition it deserves.

At least it's still running after 3 seasons unlike "FireFly" which died after its first. Sure wish SciFi channel would've picked that series up.

Mark Williams December 1st, 2006 03:59 PM

Guys, I'll have to disagree. Ever since the big rescue episode I have felt let down. Its hard to put my finger on the differences since I am a big BSG fan. There seems to have been a shift from dispair to deep dispair in some of the episodes. With the shaky camera work and dark lighting as well as some of the characters mental problems I feel worn out after watching each episode. Granted there is nothing like it on tv but for me it has lost some of its entertainment value. I actually think last year's episodes were better.

Actually my wife and I enjoyed FireFly more and although the movie wasn't well received, I liked it.

Regards,

Mark

John Vincent December 1st, 2006 04:10 PM

Tension ends tonight?

There's absolutely something to what you're saying - I too felt a bit burnt out for an episode or 2 after the rescue. Part of it is, I think, just how unexpected that whole plot line was and just how brutally the characters got treated. There have been some heavy, heavy plot lines this season.

But what it does in the long run is to always let the audience know not to get too comfortable, the way you can on almost any other show - particularly "ship" epsodes with sci-fi shows.

A ship show is done when to lower the overall budget and to give time to sfx departments for other sfx driven episodes - a ship show is, of course, mainly shot of the ship sets w/little to no sfx or guest stars. Even in GSG ship shows, there has been great tension and drama, despite the lack of star battles.

There's been a week break. Entertainment Weekly comments on what you're talking about in the review of tonight's (12/1) epsisode, saying that it releases a lot of the tension that's been built up on the show. It also gives the epsiode an "A-," so maybe the show will lighten up a little bit...

john

Mark Williams December 1st, 2006 04:43 PM

John,

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the emotional "draining" part of the episodes that get to me. We (in general terms) are not used to this type of "in your face" type entertainment. I still think of the character Saul Tigh having to kill his wife. Pretty rough stuff.

Regards,

Mark

Marcus Marchesseault December 2nd, 2006 05:19 AM

I actually didn't like tonight's episode that much, mostly due to the end when a conflict is brought up between Apollo and Starbuck. I think 3/4 of the episode was good. I'm being vague intentionally. I just don't buy that both of those characters would have gone that cuckoo.

I do agree that some of this season's episodes haven't been very "fun", but the writing is still very good, perhaps even better. This show is not happy-happy joy-joy most of the time. I REALLY liked Saul Tigh's soliloquy at the end of the previous episode ("Hero", I think?) where he stops the fight at the end of the show and talks them down. That is one seriously tortured character and well-acted. I also liked him in this week's episode. I liked Adama's storyline this week as well.

Most of the time, movies and TV make highly emotional content feel like a cheap soap opera. It is often overdone and cheesy, nevermind predictable. I find myself emotionally sympathetic or even empathetic with these characters that are going through worse in one week that I have experienced in a lifetime. They really pack the drama in without seeming to become unrealistic.

Scott Ellifritt December 26th, 2006 12:03 AM

I like the show very much. For me it's the gritty personality clashes and raw emotional content that makes the show work. Other space shows were more homogenized when it came to realistic social dynamics.