Worst Horror Films? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #76
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vaughan View Post
I think the film has some interesting things to say about sexuality and humanity.
I'm with you on that. I saw the film when it was first released, but wasn't entirely sure how I felt about it. It felt uncomfortable to me, in that I wasn't sure how it was trying to present itself as a story. I had a hard time viewing it as part of the whole Alien series.

But then I saw it again a few weeks ago on TV. I suspect it has to do with how much I've changed over the years, but I saw the movie in an entirely different way, and I would almost want to say that I now feel it is one of the best films of the genre, if not for the fact that such a statement would be almost completely misunderstood by many fans fans of sci-fi and horror.

I felt that if I strip away the basic elements of sci-fi, and overlook the shocks, the scares, the horrors, and the blood,... it's almost a chick-flick - in a bitterly twisted sort of way.

It is actually quite a tragic commentary on human exploitation and the resulting suffering, as well as an examination of maternal bonds and the basic instinct to survive. Some of those were certainly touched on in various ways in the earlier Alien films, but the maternal aspects were considerably amplified in Resurrection. I wonder how much of those elements were magnified by intent through Sigourney Weaver's additional role as co-producer.

-Jon
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #77
Major Player

I liked Resurrection. It was disgusting and disturbing and it wasnt bad for a 3rd sequel as they were getting themselves in a corner narratively speaking after killing of the main character, so cloning was a pretty good way out of it. And they had talked about studying the alien since the firct one so it had to happen some time.

The perverse thing is that no "normal" human survived. You had a cripple, a psychopath, an android and a genetically engineered crossbreed.

Good ol Dr. Phibes. To me the 60s to 70s were the classic years for horror. You had vampire films and satanism and serial killers, environmental horror, you name it.

Re-animator was another good horror/comedy from the 80s.

I really disliked Slither though.

Not to be confused with Slithis, which I cant say i have fond memories of either.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Jonathan-

You're absolutely right in finding a parallel to the chick-flick. There are also some interesting queer elements in the film. Maybe I like it so much because it's so far from the prototypical crap horror of the '90s ('Bram Stoker's Dracula,' anyone?)

There's a bit of the movie where it actually looks like Ripley is embracing the alien and possibly having sex with it! Freaky!
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden View Post
Re-animator was another good horror/comedy from the 80s.

I really disliked Slither though.

Not to be confused with Slithis, which I cant say i have fond memories of either.
Have you seen 'Dr. Phibes Rises Again?' 'Theatre of Blood?' Both just as good as 'Phibes.' AIP really had something going there. I highly recommend 'Theatre of Blood.'

Yes, 'Re-animator' should have made that list. One of the best. But how could you not like slither?!
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #80
Major Player

Yep I have a decent Vincent Price collection.

Theatre of Blood, Dr. Phibes Rises again, Madhouse and a few others. Masque of the Red Death was definitely a stand out Corman movie.

I just felt Slither was limp and ripped too much from other films (Planet Terror was more energetic in a similar comedic vein IMO).

Although a guy I knew from high school is in Slither so that might also be a factor. He was a bit of a jerk. Gets killed good though. Good riddance.

Heh
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark