Big Wheel shots in The Shining - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 25th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #16
Wrangler

We were just watching The Shining last night and I remembered this ancient thread, so I thought it was worth resurrecting and moving to our "Awake in the Dark" forum which didn't even exist back in 2003! :-)

This is some terrific info from Charles and it really adds to my appreciation of the movie. I watched the documentary last night, and Charles' comments about that are really on the money. It's not very long, but definitely a must-see! The parts with Shelley Duvall are fascinating; they interviewed her (evidently) after finishing the film and she talks about how difficult it was, how she was just coming out of a relationship, and how Kubrick goaded her to bring out anger and get a powerful performance. But somehow you get the impression that she's just rationalizing it, because in the scenes with Kubrick he seems to be genuinely mad at her.

It's also fun to watch Nicholson nagging Vivian about following him around, asking "why is it important to show everyone that I'm ordering rice and beans?", then closing the door on the camera, saying "and now I have to take a p*ss."

As we were watching the "big wheel" scenes. my daughter's boyfriend brought up a really interesting point. The big wheel has a rubber tire and spoked wheel on the front, like a regular tricycle. It looks very odd - I don't think I ever saw one like that. they usually had big plastic wheels on the front IIRC. We were thinking they might have modified a stock "big wheel" with a better front wheel to make it easier for Danny to whip around the set.

Anyway, great movie and a fascinating look behind the scenes. Thanks again Charles for the insights!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #17
Wrangler

Nothing like reading through an old thread to make you go "gee--I wrote that??"

Had a few beers with the big man hisself (Garrett) at an after-Cinegear Steadi op gathering last night--about 300 collective years of Steadicam experience in the house...
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #18
Trustee

That scene was perfect for that point in the movie. It was mundane to show "daily life" while babysitting a hotel in the dead of winter, but it was visually interesting. The audio was also perfect as the wheels went over different surfaces.

I had a "big wheel" like that one. It was a different brand, but the same basic design except for the front wheel. The smaller front wheel required a feverish pedaling frenzy to get up to a fun speed and I would have to take my feet off the pedals once up to full velocity or they would smack my feet around when I lost tempo.

I like low-angle steadicam shots when fast human-powered motion is happening. Bipedal running is quite dramatic. I also think it is good to get down to children's levels when they are onscreen since it gives their perspective of the world which we forget once we get tall. Nothing can get down there and move with a child's sometimes erratic movement like a steadicam. If you shoot events, flip the screen around so kids can see themselves and get them to chase the camera (on soft grass) - cutest thing in the world.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark