Oscar travesties at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Oscar travesties

As it's around Oscar season I thought I would start a thread on oscar travesties. I had a heated disagreement with a friend recently on whether Ghandi was a better film than ET. In my opinion ET should have won best film rather than Ghandi. But others immediately spring to mind. Dances with Wolves versus Goodfellas. Crash versus Brokeback Mountain. Any thoughts on Oscar travesties film or otherwise ?
Mark Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Major Player

The Shawshank Redemption. Incredible, but it was fighting Forrest Gump and lost.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
New Boot

It was the last time I ever watched
Shakespeare in love beats Bennini Life is beautiful
I am still shaking my head in disbelief on this one.
PB
Patrick Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Awarding "Best Picture" is a tough call. Much easier to compare and award specific achievement in definitive areas. Although the academy's decision to drop the phrase, "And the winner is..." and replace it with "And the Oscar goes to..." is a nod in the direction of the sentiment that one cannot, or 'should not' "WIN" an artistic competition. Taste is such a subjective thing.

It's easier to judge apples and oranges together, when you are judging how well they were 'cut up' - How well they were photographed, how well they were 'dressed on the plate.' So looking at films for 'editing' or 'art direction' or 'sound'... is easier if they are of different genres. Chossing "Best Screenplay" is also tough. Comparing a great drama to a great comedy.

But to decide that this apple is 'better' than this 'orange'... tough call. Often the case when you have films of different genre's competing for 'best'. It's the reason why it's the PRODUCER who accepts the Award, not the director. (Unless, of course, they are one in the same.)

I usually shrug off the 'Best Picture' award, and generally try to agree with the whole group that have been nominated.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Shakespeare in Love also beat out Saving Private Ryan if i remember correctly. Look how ground breaking Saving Private Ryan was in terms of look and action. It has influenced many a film since. Go figure.
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It would be a travesty if Scorsese gets an oscar for The Departed.

It would be a travesty if Paul Greengrass misses out on best director.

It would be a travesty if Pan's Labyrinth didn't clean up every category it is nominated for.

It would be a travesty if Forest Whitaker doesn't win the oscar for the Last King of Scotland.

Can't think think of any more of the top of my head.

TT

Last edited by Tony Tremble; February 18th, 2007 at 04:55 AM.
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

absolutely agree on Paul Greengrass
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Am I the only one to be amazed that "The Departed" won best picture? I'm a huge fan of Martin Scorsese and he has long been overlooked by the academy, but honestly I found the film average at best. It seems a shame that he should win for such a mediocre effort. I couldn't believe that it was even nominated let alone win.

It's telling that none of the 3 principal leads were nominated for best actor in the best film of the year? This is surely indicative of the quality of the film. In fact Jack Nicholson's performance was really hammy and unbalanced the film. At no point did I believe him to be a mob boss worthy of such attention.

At the screening I attended people were laughing at the ludicrous multiple killings at the end.
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Howells
Am I the only one to be amazed that "The Departed" won best picture?
Nope, I was pretty shocked, too, but in a way I kind of expected it. I was rooting for Babel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Howells
It seems a shame that he should win for such a mediocre effort.
It's also a shame that he won from a story he got from someone else.
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Kwan View Post
It's also a shame that he won from a story he got from someone else.
It's a shame a lot of people don't know The Departed is a remake.

I would urge people to go out and rent the superior original, Infernal Affairs.

By Scorsese getting an Oscar for the Departed it just devalues the Oscar. A director who is clearly past his sell by date.

I look forward to the British BAFTAS more than the Oscars as they tend to reflect actual merit.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #11
Major Player

The biggest travesty I noted was that The Departed won for editing. There were so many continuity errors in the cutting of this film I was utterly shocked that it was even nominated.

I'm surprised Children of Men didn't win for cinematography, and that it wasn't even nominated for direction.

I thought all the best picture candidates that I'd seen were weak this year.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:12 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I was disappointed that the best film of the year wasn't even nominated in that category, probably because of the sensitive subject matter. United 93.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Major Player

Hmm... personally I thought The Departed was great, having seen Infernal Affairs a few years ago I was really quite suspect about the whole idea, but I loved it.

Children of Men was my No. 1 pick for last year however.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark