DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   American Idol (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/87275-american-idol.html)

Steven Davis February 22nd, 2007 02:48 PM

American Idol

Ok, my wife and I were having a discussion about why Ryan Seacrest wears two lapel mics, one on his left and one on his right lapel.

The theories are;

1) One is simply a backup

2) The extra one is going to a different recording source, like a camera, audio recorder

3) The extra one gives balance to his voice

4) He's really bi-polar and needs the other one for his other self.

I think it's just backup.

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2007 03:01 PM

Strictly for backup purposes; standard operating procedure for a live broadcast with 30 million viewers.

By the way, this year it looks like a three-way contest between Sabrina, Melinda and Lakisha.

Chris Barcellos February 22nd, 2007 03:25 PM

Lekisha was amazing last night. She was awesome. The guys better get untracked, or I fear you are right...

Steven Davis February 22nd, 2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

By the way, this year it looks like a three-way contest between Sabrina, Melinda and Lakisha.

I totally agree.

Mark Bournes February 23rd, 2007 06:33 AM

Yeah it's a backup, most tv station news anchors wear the double lav mic as well.

Benjamin Hill February 23rd, 2007 10:09 AM

Did anyone else notice when Ryan Seacrest cut off Quincy Jones? Awkward!

Chris Hurd February 23rd, 2007 10:21 AM

It wasn't Seacrest; it was the TD who cut him off. Quincy was about to say something about The Color Purple and I don't think the TD was ready for that; maybe it wasn't planned or they hadn't allowed any time for it. I think Seacrest just saw what was happening on the monitor and reacted by moving right over it. Probably figured there would have been hell to pay if he had stopped the show to go back to Quincy, so he kept on moving. I agree it was pretty rude on somebody's part; they should have let him get at least one line in. What he said was "The Color Purple is about..." (TD instantly cuts the camera away) "...the color purple." Talk about an awkward moment -- if they didn't want him to say anything then why did they mic him. And Seacrest could have at least acknowledged it with an "oops" or something. I'll bet Quincy was trying to get in a line that they just hadn't planned for.

Greg Boston February 23rd, 2007 10:35 AM

I saw that. Maybe they thought he was going to say something controversial.

Anyways, I wouldn't count out the 17 year old. She's got some good pipes also. But I think Sabrina is the total package in terms of voice, looks, and stage appearance(she looks really confident up there).

-gb-

Chris Barcellos February 28th, 2007 12:53 PM

Looks like the Guys stepped up a little bit last night.

It doesn't look like they have these singers go in random order every week, given the fact they always seem to have the last performance as the best. Seems like they establish order after watching rehearsals....

Steven Davis February 28th, 2007 01:41 PM

Yeah we were noticing that as well.

Alex Amira February 28th, 2007 02:20 PM

I noticed the fact that he was wearing 2 lavs last night...I was commenting to by GF about that...

Kind of conincidence but I was coming back last night from taping a finance seminar where I miked the speaker with 2 lavs (then I got home and saw American Idol)...I guess now I know AM does it for backup....I do it for backup as well...running Giant Squid lav to I-River 895 and Samson Micro 32 lav going to the Micro 32 wireless system and into my camcorder.

Chris Hurd February 28th, 2007 10:00 PM

Melinda Doolittle, best... contestant... ever!

Dan Aragon February 28th, 2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 633773)
Melinda Doolittle, best... contestant... ever!

YES! Unbelievable voice. The funny thing is when she starts singing she COMMANDS the stage. And when she talks, she looks so shy.

Chris Barcellos February 28th, 2007 11:25 PM

Was just reading this post as she was singing on my Tivo....wow...

Dave Lammey March 1st, 2007 10:32 AM

Don't count Stephanie Edwards out ... it looks like it's going to come down to the four divas: Lakisha, Melinda, Sabrina and Stephanie, though they may split the vote the way some powerhouse divas did in the past. The guys can just go home right now. Although I like Chris Sligh and the beatbox guy, when Melinda or Lakisha take the stage, my jaw just drops. I think these two might be the best the contest has ever had ...