On the Lot is on now... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Yeager View Post
"Would you marry my daughter?" I believe those were the words... She said them pointed to Zach.

~Gabriel

I'm with you on this. I too was deeply disturbed and appalled by the comment. I will not be tuning into this show again.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #32
New Boot

i think it's important to remember that while these contestants are fighting tooth and nail to stay on the show, other directors are submitting their work to festivals that matter and making a difference, both for themselves and the industry. Directors are still breaking in, far, far away from On The Lot.

This show is in no way revolutionary for filmmakers anywhere. It's just television. On FOX of all places.
Angie Howton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #33
Major Player

Very good points Angie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Howton View Post
On FOX of all places.
Haha, yeah, no kidding. Anything to make more money! Put some famous peoples name on something and make the dough! Sounds like fox to me..

~Gabriel
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #34
Major Player

New Show Idea

American Idols who Think They Can Dance (with Stars) on the Lot to show Amercia they Have Talent

I smell a winner
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #35
Regular Crew

America's Next Top Mime! It'll happen!
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Kellar View Post
American Idols who Think They Can Dance (with Stars) on the Lot to show Amercia they Have Talent

I smell a winner
Hahahaha, yes! That is totally awesome! I just got this crazy idea that I am going to see about making...

I wonder if people would like a reality TV show that is real...
~Gabriel
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #37
Major Player

I haven't watched the show at all, but I'm starting to think I will spare myself the trouble.....

Since people are mentioning the whole reality show thing, when I started seeing ads for reality shows based on hair dressing, cooking, clothing design, gym workouts I began to wonder.

Is it just there's a couple of tv execs driving around LA, wondering what random activity can we cheaply make a show out of? Shall we have 'The Guys Who Use Leaf Blowers' - the competition! The drama! Tonite on Blow Me!

It also strikes me the word 'Reality Show' is getting a little over used. 'Survivor' seemed like basically a game show - there's a competition and a prize at the end. 'Work Out' and 'Blowout' seemed like documentaries - you film people in actual life situations (well, maybe very contrived ones).

I endeth my rant here, and the leave the soapbox - sorry if I went too far off the thread topic.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #38
Major Player

I agree, I think the term 'reality show' is being stretched. Yet for some reason, I still watch some of them... I don't really know why that is... too much spare time I guess.

There was seriously shows called workout and blowout? Wow, where have I been...

~Gabriel
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #39
Major Player

This whole "reality show" thing is like "talk radio". Its done because its cheap. Its down because we now have like, 99 million channels and not enough content. Its done because Surviovor was brief phenom and, being that Imagination and Creativity apparantly got together and eloped to parts unknown, if worked once producers will blugeon it into the ground. How many sequels are coming to the big screen this summer??? Like, there is a fourth Die Hard movie ... was anybody really crying for a fourth Die Hard. Don't even get me started on re-makes

The buzzword "reality show" is such a misnomer. I enjoy programs like Investigative Reports and the First 48 ... aren't those "reality shows"?? Not to mention documentaries ... sure, all of them look at "truth" through some kind of editorial filter, but that is the nature of expression

For me, On the Lot would work better if they focussed more on the actual movie making process. The reason this show exists is because the relative ease and inexpense of modern video gear means more people can become "film makers" ... so why not let us have a look on its done?

There was a series (shown here in Canada on IFC) that focussed on three NYU film students struggling to make their final student films. It wasn't a game show (like On the Lot Is) it was just a little record of their journey ... I guess their prize was their diploma. I got four of em. Stick to the lottery.
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #40
Regular Crew

That's why I liked Project Greenlight better. It was a contest to get on the show, but the show itself was more documentary. Even if the films weren't that good. That was usually cause they picked the least obvious person. Plus, they should have avoided stars for their movies and used no names.
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Well, it's on Monday then Tuesday, no wait, Monday.... well, maybe Tuesday? I finally gave up. This show is not at all what I thought it was going to be. I agree that there should be alot more of showing the process of making movies. I'm done with it too, at least until the end when they will hopefully show more production.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

If you want to watch something on Fox during the week, So You Think You Can Dance is a much, much better show.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark