On the Lot is on now... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Jeremiah, which one is your friend?

I checked out the website thelot.com hoping they might have a section for the shorts they submitted to get on the show. I couldn't find anything :(

Next show it tomorrow !
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Once they get to the Top 12 or whatever, their submissions will probably go online.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I missed OTL tonight. I found that you can view episodes on their site but it requires you to download and install their proprietary player. Does anyone know what kind of player it is?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #19
Major Player

I like this show! I thought it turned out pretty well. I have to say, tho, I think I could have maybe done better then some of the people that got *on* there..

I missed the first episode, but I think I am pretty much caught up now..

I am cheering for Adam, Zach, and I can't remember the other persons name that I liked....

"How many people have pictures of directors on their wall?"

I would! But am strange that way.... I want a picture of M. Night Shyamalan. Strange, maybe, but I still want it. :D

Haha, I could see you doing that Chris... Pretty funny.

~Gabriel
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Who are you rooting for "On the Lot"?

Being from Vancouver, I'm obviously rooting for Zach Lipovsky. Danger Zone was funny and innovative in the way he did his effects.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #21
Major Player

OK, so I watched last night's episode .. the "voting results" show ... and that is it for me. Very disappointed with this show. Started out as an interesting douc-style look at the directors making their videos, and has totally de-evolved into American Idol

And last night ... an entire hour just to find out who lost????? With recaps of videos we already saw???? Please tell me that this is not the format ... Monday nite we view the videos, hear the judge's inane comments (please don't let Carrie Fisher say "you're a great film maker" one more time) .... then Tue night waste an hour just to find out whose going home .. with all the phony attempts at building suspense ... that just did not work

Only good moment: When "Getta Room" place in the top three, turning those politically correct judges on their heads. Carrie Fisher proclaiming "I like it now!" Oh c'mon .. grow a set. If you didn't like it, stick to your convictions. Of course, what role do these "judges" now play ... when voting has gone public

I much preferred a series I caught on the Independent Film Channel following a group of NYU film students trying to make their final film. Now, there was some suspense
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #22
Regular Crew

For some reason, I found the host very annoying (not really sure yet why). And I also didn't think it was necessary for the host to repeat all the judges comments plus the many commercial breaks. It was too long.

I find Fisher's comment about her own daughter abit disturbing.
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Trustee

I think the voting episodes were poorly done in general. I have a hard time thinking of one thing that was actually done well. The show's directing, acting, sound and even the video, were all kinda just phoned in. The actual directors competing should have been able to put together the show, that would make it at least a little more entertaining.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Kellar View Post
OK, so I watched last night's episode .. the "voting results" show ... and that is it for me. Very disappointed with this show. Started out as an interesting douc-style look at the directors making their videos, and has totally de-evolved into American Idol
um...it started out as american idol. And since it's following the structure and everything, they really need to follow the selection of judging personalities to make this show a success. Wishy Washy critique, not only won't help the contestants improve, it'll make their films worse as time goes on.

I got sucked into Idol this last season (tried to avoid, didn't work). I really appreciate what they do now. Honest (even brutal) critique is what the performers would get in a closed door audition process. They don't get that once the camera is turned on and the possibility of people misconstruing honest critique as abuse.

They need an industry outsider that will be brutally honest and talk about particular parts of what they didn't like (maybe a film critic)...or me! I volunteer to be Simon Cowell for this show.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #25
Major Player

"it started out as american idol"

I know what you're saying, but the very first episode did not have the live audience, phone to vote format. I had no idea what the show was so I didn't realize it was gonna go there

I totally agree with your point about judging ... man, the real world is harsh. Everytime I put in a bid on a new job and submit my reel I am being judged and judge hard. As it should be. People are spending money

I don't know why they have judges at all at this point; I mean, why are they there? Its a popularity contest, how else do you explain the skater boy not being eliminated? All his buddies called in.

If you are going to have "judges" who have no real say in anything I agree with you .. make em objective and tough so at least the participants have an idea of how their "films" would really stack up in the real world.
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
"it started out as american idol"

I know what you're saying, but the very first episode did not have the live audience, phone to vote format. I had no idea what the show was so I didn't realize it was gonna go there
American Idol starts out with the audition rounds...we just see highlights/lowlights of those. After that, the judges don't have any say other than to advise the viewers on what they are seeing/should be looking for. Their critique needs to be more critical than a casual observer of the piece.

I personally liked the complicated concept that Zach went with, but the robot arms in his greenscreened segment was output using the wrong lens choice, it didn't match the footage he was comping it into. Looked like the lens was too wide.

The 911 call used tenebrism throughout the entire piece to show the isolation of the woman, it was a nice artistic choice.

The Shot composition of the stapler guy was great throughout and had great warm, cinematic color. It was a fantastic piece and well thought out, speaking to age old themes of adapting to new technology...with some subtle irony thrown in for flavor...

blah....blah...blah, all that arthouse babble...but it's necessary to direct the public's eye to the successes and failures "technically" of these contestants pieces and processes...they've got a million dollars on the line, and to let the voting public vote without educating them to an alien process is a bit naive of them. With singing, anyone can just start doing that...with varying success, but filmmaking is something much more complex...I do both...and singing is much easier. At the end of the competition, the winning director will probably get to pick a script and do nothing other than direct the piece...the piece of the initial competition that dealt with just that part ended up on the Cutting Room Floor...in the website Outtakes. Much more informative about the end result.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:

Only good moment: When "Getta Room" place in the top three, turning those politically correct judges on their heads. Carrie Fisher proclaiming "I like it now!" Oh c'mon .. grow a set. If you didn't like it, stick to your convictions. Of course, what role do these "judges" now play ... when voting has gone public

I'm not the most politically correct person in the world but "Get a Rhoom" did make me feel uncomfortable. I did laugh but it was the kind of laugh I felt I should not laugh at. I was glad to see he didn't get the boot because he obviously has alot of talent and I'd like to see more of his stuff. I think Carrie was making a joke when she said I like it now.

anyway I thought it was funny but uncomfortably funny.

Cheers
Kelly
Kelly Harmsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #28
Regular Crew

"Getta Rhoom", or however it was spelled, was just kinda blah. not all that great, but not terrible. But that "Wacky Cab" one was just awful, and that guy is still on. His story, if you can call it that, was just ripped from "Crazy Taxi", the video game. And it looked worse than what 12 year olds are putting together on youtube with an old hi8 video camera. I'm surprised at the people who didn't make it, cause they may not be the best at writing their scripts, but this is a show about being a director, not a screenwriter.
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan Ee Jien View Post

I find Fisher's comment about her own daughter abit disturbing.
What did she say about her daughter?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
What did she say about her daughter?
"Would you marry my daughter?" I believe those were the words... She said them pointed to Zach.

I agree Sean. That Taxi one was lame. It was a rip off of the game for sure.. I forgot all about that one..

Yes, there is some really talented people on youtube that I think could wipe out a few of these people on OTL. I don't mean to be full of my self when I say this, but I think I could better then a few of them that got on. And I know, that there is people here on DVinfo better, thats a fact. But once again, its a reality TV show.. Skill does not matter, its about looks, character, personality, and so forth. :(

Its so sad that no one can make a real tv show about film making...

~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark