Doctor Who at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 27th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Doctor Who

Although I've found the current series quite weak, (is it called series 3?) the episode which aired last night in the UK (called Human Nature) was very strong, a proper "Who" episode, looks like they finally got the balance right with this one...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Outer Circle

These new ones won't be showing on CBC until the fall. How is the new side-kick compared with Rose?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Major Player

She's good, but not as good as Rose, in my opinion. Possibly because she hasn't been given a really good script to get her teeth into
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Thanks. The last episode on CBC was when the Doctor discovers the new girl in the "police box."

Re: "Although I've found the current series quite weak...."

So it got lame, eh? No monsters? :-)
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Outer Circle

June 18 is when Doctor Who starts again on CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr...o+-+Series+III

I guess the Hockey screwed up the programming.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Major Player

I really tried to like the new Dr. Who which we see in the US on the SciFi channel on cable. I liked the old Dr. Who that was a staple of late night Public TV in the states for a long time. The production values left much to desired but the stories were clever: the humor tongue-in-cheek without being too self conscious, the drama actually thought provoking.

In my view, the troubles with the new Dr. Who are that it is too self-conscious, ponderously working in every villian and creature from the old stories in "new and improved" versions, and that they've substituted FX for solidly clever writing. Billy Piper is charming and made the show work to the extent that it did.

Even with Piper it just got boring after a few episodes; danger effect---run/chase---joke over and over ad nauseum without a lot of dramatic action arising from the characters. I don't think season 3 has run on SciFi yet.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Outer Circle

When the topic of Dr Who comes up, my wife says, "Hi, I'm the Dr. Run for your life!" Then she follows with giggles and laughter.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Major Player

I heard it was getting cancelled again after the third season. Guess the Doctor caught the Firefly/BSG bug.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM   #9
Outer Circle

It's getting cancelled??? Well, I hope they bring back Star Trek! (Deep Space 9 part 11)
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Not really a fan of this incarnation (more of a Jon Pertwee era) but what really surprised me was the decision to shoot all the series on Digital Betacam rather than future proof such a major series in HD.

Last edited by Jonathan Lee; June 4th, 2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: alteration
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I never watched the old Doctor Who, so this one has been a lot of fun. I thought the one with the gas mask ghost, where Captain Jack first appeared was creepy and fun.
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #12
Outer Circle

The first Dr Who was really creepy. It's too bad that the BBC lost a bunch of the episodes. The ones I recall most creepy were a creature pulls in one of the good looking nuke survivors and a Delek is revealed and pulled out of its robot shell.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #13
Major Player

Just to report that the last three episodes have been very good - the double episode set just before world war 1 and the "Blink" episode with the statues, and in all three episodes there was hardly any unnecesary running about and shouting, and someone had told the composer that he doesn't need to score every second of the programme (sorry, but those are my two pet hates about this series)
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM   #14
New Boot

I've been a Dr Who watcher since the Tom Baker era (hiding behind the sofa when his face appeared in the title sequence). I've personally found Season 3 stronger than Season 2. For me there have been no duff episodes, where as in the previous 2 seasons there were 2-3 episodes which I thought were rubbish, amongst some strong episodes. The 2nd half of this season has been excellent so far with superb episodes such as Blink and Human Nature.

I wasn't sure about Martha to begin with, but her character has grown and developed overtime and I think I prefer her to Rose now.

Also, Dr Who is not getting canceled. At least, not while it is still one of the highest rating shows the BBC have.
Alex Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #15
Outer Circle

So far it's been okay, but not great. The black chick is pretty good though the Doctor could be better. Not that I don't like him but he comes across like a weasel in need of acting lessons from the smoking man.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark