Guiding Light - Really Bad Production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Guiding Light - Really Bad Production

I happened to turn the TV on during the day today - a rarity. The show that was on was "Guiding Light." The production values amazed me.

About 75% of the show was typical flat-lit typical soap opera fair. It looked the same as soaps always had, though they did try a little harder - not always successfully - to do some different shots.

About 25% percent of the the show was shot on location - an alley, a restaurant, etc. These shots were horrible. They were all done handheld and looked like they had no lighting at all. Maybe the job of a crew of two. Having come recently from the 48 hour film fest, I can safely say that I saw 10 films there that looked better than this footage.

This was hands down the worst footage I have every seen on broadcast television.

I know that soaps operate on tight budgets, but wow...
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Trustee

I'm always trying to guess what lighting is used in TV programs and movies and I clicked past the network channels one day while the soaps were on and I was also shocked. I don't think they have changed their lighting setups since they adjusted it in 1968 for color television. I can just see the rust and dust on their lighting rig. They probably let their gaffers go in 1970 to save money and just kept using the same lights. Maybe it used to look better but they haven't changed the bulbs as they burnt out? The best part is the three hard shadows on the women's necks. How could any gaffer be so cruel to pretty young actresses?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark