Zodiac -Great Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zodiac -Great Film

Just saw this yesterday, (only opened in the UK a few weeks ago). Have to say I thought it was a gripping thriller, brilliantly made and definitely not too long at all. It didn't seem like 2 1/2 hours and kept my attention throughout, seems we have way too short attention spans these days and was amazed to learn it was shot on Viper.

Thought the stabbing scene was very uncomfortable and probably went too far, but otherwise didn't deserve some of the panning it took.

And oh yes, it was definitely Kenneth Leigh Allen!

Last edited by Jonathan Lee; June 4th, 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistakes
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I felt that scene was really well done, and unfortunately some people in the crowd I saw it with, felt it was ok for them to laugh. It should have been uncomfortable, because it is something that really happened and shouldn't play as entertainment.
It is a great film, and if you liked that, I recommend you see Memories of Murder. It's a korean film with similar themes, also based on true events. It's excellent.
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't seen Zodiac yet but if I ever find time to watch a movie (let alone breathe) it is on my list ... I read Graysmith's book years ago and it was good

For my money, the best "true life" crime movie every made .. hands down .. was the original In Cold Blood ... years after I saw it, some of that stark B&W imagery stayed with me. Its tone .. sort of low key and documentary like .. was quite chilling. And found the more recent film Capote an interesting addendum to In Cold Blood
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Major Player

ZODIAC is my favourite of 2007 so far.

For true crime fans I highly recommend CITIZEN X. It's a brilliant TV movie starring Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland about the real life search for a serial killer in Russia in the early 90s I think.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Sad Movie

Zodiac saddened me but, man, that cinematography was good. I also could not believe it was shot with the Viper.
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Great film, til the end. Oh. Wait. What end?
Sure, it's based on a true story, but it didn't end with a mystery, just an anticlimax... "Oh... we have no more plot... roll credits, guys"

I can't say I mind having seen it, though.

The recreation of SF was quite nice, too.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Great film one of the best of 2007, Yes the stabbing scene in the park was hard to watch, but also added realism to the film and how it probably went down. The end could have been better, but not sure how, since it was never "officially" solved. Although they know he was the guy.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Major Player

OK, I know this is an old post but .. I finally got to see the film. Very, very good. Having read Graysmith's book this was an excellent companion. The book told the story of the investigation, the movie told the story of the toll that investigation took. Its almost like Graysmith and the others were Zodiac victims as well

I admire, in this day and age, films that have courage to tell their stories with great acting, great photography and the notion of letting the story unwind and the tension build, rather than using ridiculous music video style editing and soundtracks do the work for you

As for the "stabbing scene" .. people objected to this. Excuse me? This was real. Zodiac? Um, not a nice dude ... I thought the producers showed a lot of restraint in the depiction of the violence. This is why this guy had the whole city of SF completely terrorized.. cause he was evil and did evil things to people.

Excellent film, I'm glad I was finally able to see it
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Bump.

I just saw it.
Didnt find the stabbing scene amusing but I can understand an awkward response since it seemed so matter of fact and not your typical killing scene.

I knew some details of the case beforehand from an Investigative Reports episode, but didnt know much about what the killer did. I was blurring this with the Hillside Strangler or Son of Sam.

I found the whole movie riveting but the ending seemed a bit anti-climactic. Cant say i felt that much connection to any of the characters. But I was glad it was very straightforward and not MTV style either.

Nice to see the Dirty Harry references.

It really felt like the time period. That really impressed me the most. I was reminded of Targets.

The attention to detail was really a stand out--I think they even got the vintage christmas cards right.

The lead detective looked a lot like Columbo.

I was expecting him to say: ah, just one more thing...
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Just saw this film tonight.

Amazing!! I was totally blown away by the look and feel of this film.

I normally try to avoid serial murder films, so it wasn't a movie rental that I sought out, but I was surprised that this film turned out to be such a great ride.

It's unbelievable how they recreated a time period so well. If it was all done was computer effects--then the effects were seamless.

Coincidentally, I was looking at "Bullitt" the other day and "Dirty Harry" is one of my all time favorites films, so it is interesting to see how Dave Toschi inspired or is connected to both films.

Definitely worth checking out!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark