1-18-08 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

1-18-08

I haven't seen Transformers yet, but I'm hearing TONS about the "untitled J.J. Abrams project" trailer that appeared before the movie. I saw the trailer on YouTube, and I have to admit, I'm freakin' excited about this movie. Whatever this is, I plan to follow it closely. There's a related web site, "Ethan Haas Was Right," http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/. Play "Simon" with the little puzzle pieces and it shows you a movie clip, but I couldn't hear on my office PC.

What's the buzz? The speculation I'm hearing is either another Godzilla (I hope not!) or something related to H.P. Lovecraft mythos (I hope SO!). That creature's roar and the scope of the destruction in the trailer gave me chills.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Near as I can tell it's all speculation at this point. I've followed a few of the trails and they all fall short of giving any credible proof that it might be a godzilla movie, a Cthulu movie, alien invasion, or my favorite, a giant fire breathing lion. Sadly, the lion one is the closest to proof, because it's hard to tell if the guy says "it's a lion" or "it's alive" or something else. I'm keen to find out more about it, but I've wasted a couple hours searching for leads and I think I'll just wait til the official online trailer release, or more info is officially "leaked"
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

P.S. I kinda hope it's all shot on DV like the trailer. If it's done right, it could be extremely cool. As long as there isn't too much shaky cam when we want to see things. I mean, even an amateur camcorder user knows to try and hold it steady so you can see what you're looking at.
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh, and the working title of the film is called "Cloverfield"
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Wrangler

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...-trailer_N.htm

Quote:
Hollywood-Elsewhere.com's Jeffrey Wells says the trailer is a clever ploy working just as the studio hoped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Borek View Post
I saw the trailer on YouTube, and I have to admit, I'm freakin' excited about this movie.
Quote:
Paramount has not posted the trailer online, and pirated versions are being quickly stamped out by the studio, claiming copyright violation.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

the trailer is on apple now, in HD even
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Major Player

"its a lion, its huge"
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #8
Major Player

I just saw it... it looks amazing. I can't wait to see it!
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I was hoping it was a small part of the Half Life movie. The whole thing was from the cameras point of view, so First person, just like the game. But I'm not going to get my hopes up. Either way it looks pretty cool.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #10
New Boot

To me the flavor of it and the acting in the trailer was very "lost" like. The "Lion" also had a "Smoke Monster" feel to it. Definitely interested in what this is going to pan out to be. I do think it would be interesting if the whole film was shot handheld DV, but not like the "Blair Witch".
Dana Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

Actually, it goes: "It's alive, it's huge!" Check this out:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33261

JJ Abrams says there are more sites out there. We're talking about it on an Iron Man fanboard, www.advancediron.org. JJ also says that Ethan Haas has nothing to do with it, but, when can you ever believe the guy behind LOST? Trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

heath
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #12
Regular Crew

What Camera did they use?

Anyone know what camera they used to shoot this?
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an HDV or AVCHD consumer camera, at least a single CMOS or three CCD unit.

heath
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #14
Trustee

I also think it is at least some type of HDV camera if it is from a digital camera. There wouldn't really be a 1080p HD trailer if it wasn't shot with HD of some type. A lot of the shots have pretty low detail for whatever reason but it is kind of hard to tell since the video has so much noise. There are a few shots however where you can make out some pretty good detail such as that from a CMOS HDV camera or maybe even the HVX200.

I might go as far to even say it looks like it was shot at 50i and then blended down to 25p. I notice some frame ghosting in some scenes with motion. Some of the motion blur clearly looks like two fields blended together and not true motion blur. This may be the look they are going after to create something that is easy to work with (24p) but at the same time could have a sort of home video camera look to it. Either that or they are using a HDV camera that doesn't have any true progressive support such as a Z1.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #15
Regular Crew

New Trailer!

This still looks great. But if you check out imdb, it says this thing was shot on the genesis... Really?
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark