DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Best movies to watch to learn filmaking (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/99614-best-movies-watch-learn-filmaking.html)

Andrew McDowell July 23rd, 2007 08:50 PM

Best movies to watch to learn filmaking

give some names of movies other people can watch (like me) to learn the art of filmaking

My examples
Cinematography: Citizen Kane
dialogue: Inherit the wind
lighting: Casablanca
actors: Silence of the lambs
script: the usual suspects and american beauty
Etc etc

Sean Skube July 24th, 2007 11:22 AM

A Bug's Live vs. Ants, or Finding Nemo vs. SharkTale for the importance of Story and Character development

Garden State for Cinematography

The Shining for Sound and Cinematography

Epic Movie for everything you shouldn't do.

Primer for story

The Descent for atmosphere

Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth for just about everything

I could go on and on and on, but I have work to do.

Richard Alvarez July 24th, 2007 11:42 AM

Whats the best dish to eat to learn the art of cooking?

Depends on your interests, tastes, and approach. That's why it's an art.

An easy approach if you are interested, is simply selecting the top academy award winners for each category for the last, say fifty years. That will give you a sampling of what the peers thought of their companions' work. Watch each one for it's particular 'winning' merits, and see how the compare.

Emre Safak July 24th, 2007 12:20 PM

I'm with Rich: study what you like. This question is too vague.

Dennis Stevens July 24th, 2007 12:52 PM

I find the process of directing really fascinating, so when I've really been blown away by a movie, I'll try to watch films by the same director.

Netflix can be really useful for this. If you can spend the bucks, DVD sets of a director's works are great.

Seeing the same director take on different stories, work with different actors, etc is really interesting.

Matt Buys July 24th, 2007 05:05 PM

Cinematography: The English Patient. I felt like some of the scenes were the actors.

Dialogue: Glengary Glen Ross (Drama) I think Mamet's stage experience gives him an edge, The Big Lebowski (Comedy),

Actors: Ikiru (Never seen a better performance for the lead) It's change your life good.

Script: I'm with you on The Usual Suspects for drama. Strictly Ballroom for comedy.

Epic: I think Titanic was epic. Poor boy, rich girl, love, death, rebirth, sinking ship. I know, I know, it's cliche but I can't help it.

Lighting: I think most movies by spielberg is worth watching for the lighting if for no other reason you don't notice it, you feel it.

Victor Kellar July 24th, 2007 09:34 PM

Mise en scene: My Darling Clemetine

Lighting and Production Design: Citizen Cane

Cinematography: Ran - Black Stallion

Storytelling: Rashoman

Dialouge: Anything by Mamett ... Let's just cast out House of Games, Spanish Prisoner and the Heist just for examples

Handling actors/performances: Most of George Stevens work

Cole McDonald July 25th, 2007 08:42 AM

Panic Room 3 disk set BTS
Dead Poet's Society Collectors edition w/ cinematography master class
PJ's King Kong Pre-production Diaries

Every BTS Making of thing ever...stare at what they're doing on set and what they're putting where in relation to the camera. BTS is what netflix is for! You can get the supplementary disks from 2+ disk sets without having to get the movie ;) I buy movies not only based on how much I like them, but who did the commentary and what BTS they have. Unless it's a movie I really like!

Brian Standing July 25th, 2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Skube (Post 717759)
A Bug's Live vs. Ants, or Finding Nemo vs. SharkTale for the importance of Story and Character development

I have often thought that I would use Finding Nemo as a textbook example of how to write a good movie script. The editing is excellent, too. I have a six-year-old at home, so have seen that movie dozens of times. I'm constantly blown away by how quickly and engagingly that story moves along. Not a wasted moment in the whole movie.

Brian Standing July 25th, 2007 09:03 AM

How to break all the "rules" of filmmaking (at least when you know what you're doing):

2001 - Stanley Kubrick.

First line of dialog: 40 minutes into the story.

The "Film Look": shot almost completely in wide angle, with extremely deep depth of field.

Ambient sound: the most dramatic scenes occur in the dead silence of outer space. No fake "whooshes" like in Star Wars or Star Trek.

Subject matter: Uncompromisingly grown-up, intellectually rigorous science fiction.

Music: No original score, all compositions are classical standards in the public domain.

Scary Villain: a simple glass lens.

Ending: Ambiguous and disquieting. Is it a happy ending? Or not?

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Claude Mangold July 25th, 2007 09:19 AM

great comment, Brian, 2001 is a mindblower
I would add Godard's A Bout de Souffle to your "breaking the rules" category

Louis Mostert July 25th, 2007 09:43 AM

Unique cinematography: Requiem for a Dream

Collateral
: Movie takes place over +/- 10 hour period and there is no back-story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 718321)
Ambient sound: the most dramatic scenes occur in the dead silence of outer space. No fake "whooshes" like in Star Wars or Star Trek.

Where that hatch closed and the sound returns. Spine tingling moment.

Cole McDonald July 26th, 2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 718314)
I have often thought that I would use Finding Nemo as a textbook example of how to write a good movie script. The editing is excellent, too. I have a six-year-old at home, so have seen that movie dozens of times. I'm constantly blown away by how quickly and engagingly that story moves along. Not a wasted moment in the whole movie.

Look farther back:

Disney: Lion King = hamlet

Hate to do it but, Pixar:
Bug's Life = seven samurai
Finding Nemo = pinocchio
Cars = doc hollywood

Monster's inc...haven't found a matching plot yet
Ratatouille, haven't really tried yet.
Toys, I'm sure there's one, but I've refused to look for it.

Chris Leong July 27th, 2007 02:13 PM

Don't study it, do it.

"I love to eat souffles, therefore I can cook souffles".

"I love Mona Lisa, therefore I can paint Mona Lisa"

Stupid nonsense, no?

"I watch movies, therefore I can make movies"

sound any better to you?

Practice it by doing it. There's no excuse. Tape costs less than books now.
Cameras cost less than film school

In the time it takes to talk about it, and circle around it, you could have done one. It won't be great but it'll be done.

The next time, it will be better, if you can learn at all.

After a while, and a few movies under your belt, it will be... what it will be.

Will people watch it?

Eat a souffle.
Then make one.
Then try and sell the first one you make.
Will people eat it?
Will people buy it?

John Dennis Robertson July 27th, 2007 03:06 PM

Chris ,Just love the way you think.eveytime I read your reply it just makes more sense.