DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   The Joseph George "Favorites" Poll (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/9971-joseph-george-favorites-poll.html)

Joseph George May 19th, 2003 09:58 PM

Favorite Directors & Films

Note from Chris Hurd: Here's an amalgamation of Joseph George's recent "who are your favorite (insert genre here) films." In order to keep our boards flowing for other topics, all of those threads have been merged into this one big pile... and any new threads of a similar nature will be merged here as well. Enjoy! -- CH

--------------------------

Tell me what kind of films you like and I'll tell you who you are. Just kidding.

Name some favorite directors and films that come to mind.

I'll start:

Directors: Bertoluci, Visconti, DeSica, Antonioni, Bergman, Altman, Kubrick, Menzl, etc., etc.

Movies:

Frida, Before Revolution, Children of Paradise, My Sweet Little Village, etc., etc.

Dylan Couper May 19th, 2003 10:26 PM

Re: Favorite Directors & Films

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph George : Tell me what kind of films you like and I'll tell you who you are. Just kidding.

Directors: Bertoluci, Visconti, DeSica, Antonioni, Bergman, Altman, Kubrick, Menzl, etc., etc.
-->>>

I don't know who any of those folk are, but I'm partial to Russ Meyer and Roger Corman.

;)

Zac Stein May 19th, 2003 10:34 PM

As directors go, bertoluci really stands out there as a visual artist.

His movie "the conformist" is considered the most beautiful movie ever made.

Anyways,

Zac

Keith Loh May 20th, 2003 12:39 AM

Terence Malick, Wong Kar Wai, Stanley Kubrick, John Boorman, Michael Mann, Akira Kurosawa, Sidney Lumet, Khrystofh Kieslowski, David Lean

Days of Heaven, In the Mood for Love, Paths of Glory, Deliverance, Last of the Mohicans, Ran, Fail-Safe, Red, Bridge on the River Kwai

For further reference, my YMDB top 20 list: http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view....rsid=7032&ce=y

Joseph George May 20th, 2003 01:12 AM

Who are your favorite actors/actresses

My choices:

Robert DeNiro

Jessica Lang

Nigel Moore May 20th, 2003 03:16 AM

Current: Jean Reno / Helen Hunt
Of all: Bogart / Ingrid Bergman

Imran Zaidi May 20th, 2003 06:59 AM

Al Pacino!!!!

Imran Zaidi May 20th, 2003 07:10 AM

I'm one of those people who doesn't necessarily follow a particular director. For any particular director, I may love one film but be completely annoyed by another.

For example, PT Anderson's Magnolia, to me, was incredible. But then Punch Drunk Love was one of the most annoying films I've seen in recent history.

I can say what films I really like though...

Next Stop Wonderland, Personal Velocity, Magnolia, Sidewalks of New York, Amelie, Groove, Swingers, Afterlife, Joe vs. the Volcano (hehe - despite opposition, I stand by this one), Smoke Signals, Monsoon Wedding, Life as a House...

... oh I could go on and on...

Oh, and I also happen to believe that all you ever need to learn about life is encased in the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Adrian Douglas May 20th, 2003 07:34 AM

Being Australian it's hard for me to go past the original Mad Max (Road Warrior to you Yanks). It is shot in rural Victoria and the scenery is simply stunning. The simplicity and the colours make this a visually beautiful film. A little know fact is that this film was actually dubbed for American release as it was though that the American movie going public would not be able to understand the Aussie drawl. I didn't know this until I saw the film here in Japan and though everyone was speaking funny. It was really strange to hear now well know Australian actors with American accents.

As far as directors I think the current crop of Brits are doing a fine job. Movie like Snatch, Lock Stock ... Mean Machine (Longest Yard remake) are threatening Hollywood and bringing a freshness to the big screen

Nigel Moore May 20th, 2003 07:41 AM

Still, they got used to the Aussie drawl by the time of Crocodile Dundee, which, funnily enough, also showed off some terrific scenery.

Nigel Moore May 20th, 2003 07:44 AM

Directors: Hitchcock, John Houston, Fritz Lang, Sergio Leone

Films: LA Confidential, Rebecca, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca

John Locke May 20th, 2003 09:40 AM

William Holden, Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman

aaaaand...

Katharine Ross, Sandy Dennis, Isabelle Adjani, Diane Lane

and the list could go on and on and on...but these came to mind first

Charles French May 20th, 2003 09:50 AM

Robert Duvall, hands down, Robert becomes , it's not an act.

John Locke May 20th, 2003 09:57 AM

Keith,

I'll bring the six-pack, you pick out the videos. Pretty much everything on your list would match mine. Some others would be:

The Graduate
The Parallax View
A River Runs Through It
Some Girls
The Shuttered Room
The World of Susie Wong
The Whole Nine Yards
Le Grand Bleu
...among a huge list of others.

Directors? Right now, I'd have to say my favorite directors are Steffen Werske, Neil & Nori Wentworth, T.C. Lin, Suntje Freier, Ali Imran Zaidi, Tony Teulan, Dustin Cross, Oliver Kolling, Alican Serbest, Dylan Couper, Keith Loh, Rob Lohman, Barry Goyette, Peter Sieben, Ken Kil, Dale Murchie, John Heskett, Ken Tanaka, Jami Jokinen, Michael Meyerson, Dutch Doscher, Ronnie Grahn, Brendan Bowen, John Lee, William Boggs, Paul Sedillo...and, oh yeah...Ridley Scott. ;)

Dylan Couper May 20th, 2003 10:39 AM

Male actors:
Jean Reno
Gary Oldman
Tim Roth

Female Actors:
Pamela Anderson