New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera! - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old June 16th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #166
HDV Cinema

Re: New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera!

Are there any UNGRADED CinemaDNG samples with audio? Samples covering motion and skin tone? CU and wide shots?
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #167
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I suspect someone told you it was RAW that prevented 60p was wrong. Depending on which chip they chose and DSP power/heat issues -- the system may simply not be able to run faster than 30p.
I don't think it's the sensor itself, which, if it's the BAE/Fairchild CIS2051, can run up to 100 fps at 2,560 x 2,160 and 200 fps at 1,920 x 1,080. Like the Scarlet and Epic, the BMC may have a maximum overall data rate it can run at (as determined by an number of its components, like the SSD controller). If that's the case, it could conceivably run at a higher frame rate if the per-frame data burden is reduced via a compressed codec like ProRes or (my suggestion) CineForm RAW.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #168
HDV Cinema

Or, it's our old friend HEAT!

I posted an answer that was partially wrong.

While the ProRes and DNxHD outputs are not log -- as I said. They are pulled from a master log curve from the 12-bit sensor.

Therefore, I think the RAW data is output as log.

My question for BM -- the camera can apply REC709 gamma to an area of the 12-stop log curve. Why not simply deBayer the whole log curve. Now output this at 10-bit log C in PR 422 HQ or DNxHD 422 -- or 12-bit ProRes 4444.

I'll bet Resolve will handle these files and Glue makes importers for log C data.

I've been working with RAW for 2 months. It is a royal pain in the butt! The only things neat are:

1) set the WB -- AFTER THE SHOOT.

2) in AE create, an lazy-S gamma curve or black stretch or expand -- AFTER THE SHOOT.

3) A way to get 12-stops of DR.

When you consider than some RAW software takes a MINUTE PER FRAME to process -- you can see why just getting the 12 stop DR -- FAST -- is all I really need.

And, yes, each scene as usually will need to be CC to 0% to 100%/108%. But, with Media Compose and the new Curves plug-in for FCP X -- that's not going to be a killer job. And it's real-tme unlike RAW1

Last edited by Steve Mullen; June 17th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #169
Trustee

It's been almost 2 months to the day of the announcement at NAB. We saw the original specs, the original footage, but now it has gone silent. With the release date drawing near, why are we not hearing anything new? I have mine pre-ordered but I need to hear the final specs to feel 100% sure that it meets my needs. I do a very large amount of handheld work, and with my 7D i rely on the IS of the 17-55 lens to smooth out the "microshakes" that DSLRs exhibit when not on a tripod or without IS. I need to know if IS is indeed supported on Canon EF lenses or not. It has not been stated clearly at this point.

Anyone with an insight on any of this?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #170
Major Player

Marty, the final specs have all been announced. The details are all up there on BMD's website, and it's been reported ad nauseam by BMD reps every time they've been asked these questions - they're going to deliver the specs they announced, and nothing more (at this stage).

So no IS at this stage, no AF at this stage, only 3 ISO settings and the mount will be EF.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #171
Trustee

I have read through the specs "ad nauseum" myself and see no official reference to "not supporting IS" anywhere in the official literature. I have read speculation, reports from people at BMD events contradicting each other and reports from John Brawley (only one to actual shoot with this camera that we are aware of) saying they might add additional ISO before release.

Regardless, I'm just looking for any new information about the camera and possibly some new footage. With the release drawing near there is a lack of any additional information or reports and that is just a little concerning, especially when other cameras that are due to ship around the same time are getting full reviews on higly respected websites.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #172
Major Player

Kind of strange; here we are sitting at July 7 with projected camera shipping "towards later part of July" and not a peep about any new info since April. No sample footage since April, no nothing.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #173
Wrangler

it isn't that strange. I'm waiting on several product releases since NAB....

waiting is the new normal.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #174
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
waiting is the new normal.
Scarlet deja vu... all over again?
(And I'm not much better -- eagerly waiting for the EOS 1DC.)

-- peer
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #175
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Scarlet deja vu... all over again?
(And I'm not much better -- eagerly waiting for the EOS 1DC.)
What about the EOS 1DX? This was announced last November & is still not available.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #176
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
What about the EOS 1DX? This was announced last November & is still not available.
The 1DX is shipping.

-- peer
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #177
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
The 1DX is shipping.
Really? I haven't seen any reviews of a production model & it's only available to pre-order from every Canon dealer that I can find.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #178
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Really?
Regular people were getting the 1DX last Tuesday.

-- peer
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #179
Major Player

Some new raw & graded stills from John Brawley here. Looking pretty good:

A little tease | johnbrawley
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #180
Trustee

Thanks for that Simon. If this shows what the camera can do, it is very exciting.

That said, I am not sure about anyone else, but here we are with less than a week to go and this is the first taste of anything that I've heard concerning the BMD. Doesn't it seem weird not to have at least
a little bit of marketing by BMD, or an announcement saying that it will be postponed? Something?!

I am sure BMD is working day and night to be ready, but to hear nothing, other than rumors
of 200 being delivered on time - or the other rumor that their vendors also being left in the black as to what the magic design is (not good). I would prefer to be told *well ahead of time*, "Sorry, it will be delayed." It has to do with cred.

And yes, I get it. This cam, with all the features has great *potential*, but if BMD whiffs
on this one, it will only add to their reputation of being - how does one say it delicately,
falling short of what is being promoted - which speaks to other aspects of dealing with them.

I do think that BMD moved the camera world at NAB, and I am thankful, but for me even if they
deliver 200 cameras, though wonderful, just means that something else (the execution of the plan?) is still not in place - and possibly half-baked.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera