New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera! - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old April 21st, 2012, 10:26 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Re: New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera!

I'm not sure because i wasn't around when 1080 came around but Im sure it was the same deal as far as storage. As technology moves forward Im sure it will become more practical and it will be a non issue.

Storage Rates 5 MB/frame in RAW 2.5K fits about 30 minutes of 24p video on a 256 GB solid state disk. Compressed HD formats fit more than 5 times the amount of RAW video.
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM   #107
Major Player

Chris - is it too soon to have a separate forum for this baby?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Blackmagic Cinema Camera

So I just found out about this camera and it sounds amazing for the price. However, is there any footage shot from the camera anywhere? Doing a google search hasn't turned up much. I would love to see some raw footage.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #109
Trustee

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Blackmagic Cinema Camera - John Brawley

I am not sure this is RAW footage. I saw the BMD at NAB. They had three hooked up to monitors
pointed at a Tiki hut with models hovering around. The hut had a yellow hue to it.
The viewfinder looked like it had a yellow cast. That could have been all the yellow in the scene.
The broadcast monitor looked better and more balanced. BUT, remember, this shoots RAW and
comes with Resolve to grade the 12bit RAW stream it records on board, so I would estimate that
the color could be pulled all over the place if necessary.

This was the deal of NAB 2012 imho. Despite it's plastic like shell and lack of places to hang externals,
there promises to be a LONG wait list.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM   #110
Obstreperous Rex

Not too soon, no, but there's not gonna be a lot of hands-on to talk about... for awhile, anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:48 AM   #111
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Mersereau View Post
BUT, remember, this shoots RAW and
comes with Resolve to grade the 12bit RAW stream it records on board, so I would estimate that
the color could be pulled all over the place if necessary.

This was the deal of NAB 2012 imho..
This is going to be the interesting question - how flexible is the image? Even between RED cameras, the EPIC image is much more flexible than the RED ONE, even with the same color science. You can push the EPIC all over the place in the grade. RED ONE is a bit more limited (though still one of the most flexible images available).

It will be interesting to see how flexible the BMD image is - certainly with their experience with Resolve, the outlook is promising. But even all RAW images are not created equally.

And delivering this camera with both Ultrascope and Resolve makes it almost too cheap to pass on...it's an insane value. It's great to see what another company, with no trickleware model to protect, can do.

And very nice to meet you and get a chance to hang out at NAB last week, Jacques - good luck with the Superior shoot - hopefully you can put one of these BMD cameras to work!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:13 AM   #112
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Mersereau View Post
Despite its... lack of places to hang externals...
C'mon, Jacques -- it has three 1/4-20 sockets in a row right across the top!

Not to mention places to hang, externally (via the neckstrap bales).

Pic attached... see?
Attached Thumbnails
New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera!-bmd-quarter20.jpg  

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:19 AM   #113
Major Player

It would be fun to get a hold of some RAW sample files of this camera and then push them around in Resolve to see what they do.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:57 AM   #114
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
C'mon, Jacques -- it has three 1/4-20 sockets in a row right across the top!

Not to mention places to hang, externally (via the neckstrap bales).

Pic attached... see?
These are fine for a microphone or a wireless - but you can't build a true cinema rig with them. The rigging options are limited for sure. Plus, 3 holes doesn't equate to three items - it just shows you where you can put them, but the width of objects like a secondary monitor for your focus puller or a wireless video signal - all that stuff won't fit on the top of the camera. No doubt 3rd party options will be forthcoming...or a cage system - does make it awkward though.

At 2.5K RAW, it's cinema grade, for sure, but the ergonomics have some limitations which will require a bit of tinkering.

For documentary shooting, it looks fantastic.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #115
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed. Just messing with Jacques a bit; he and I go waaaay back.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:30 AM   #116
Inner Circle

The camera looks great value but the optional Blackmagic Cinema Camera Handles at $195 while not in Zacuto territory seems very expensive for a piece of bent metal & a couple of bicycle handlebar grips. Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Models
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #117
Trustee

Expect an Ebay version for $30.00 a month after release.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #118
Major Player

Probably I'm pointing the obvious, but the quoted 2.3X crop is somehow misleading. The crop factor of the BMD sensor compared to S35 (24X13.5 HD aspect) which is the motion picture standard is only 1.5X which is not bad at all. Certainly much better than the 2.2X of the 2/3inch ENG.
You can get a 2.8 DOF equivelant with 1.8 lenses. Since many L primes and Zeiss lenses are 1.4 or better, for me the sensor size is not an issue, apart from the lack of choise in the wide end. On the other hand we must not forget the benefit of working with the center of these wide coverage lenses.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #119
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
seems very expensive for a piece of bent metal & a couple of bicycle handlebar grips
I found it funny though that by adding a simple lcd hood or a handle they have got 3 "incredible versatile" versions. I think accesoires companies will have a blast developing add ons for this thing.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #120
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
Probably I'm pointing the obvious, but the quoted 2.3X crop is somehow misleading. The crop factor of the BMD sensor compared to S35 (24X13.5 HD aspect) which is the motion picture standard is only 1.5X which is not bad at all. Certainly much better than the 2.2X of the 2/3inch ENG.
You can get a 2.8 DOF equivelant with 1.8 lenses. Since many L primes and Zeiss lenses are 1.4 or better, for me the sensor size is not an issue, apart from the lack of choise in the wide end. On the other hand we must not forget the benefit of working with the center of these wide coverage lenses.
And compared to M4/3 like the GH2 it is only 1.2x.

I think the reason why so many are calling it a 2.3x crop is due to the use of EF lenses which typically people think of using with a FF camera on the high end. You are right however that in terms of S35 it isn't all that bad. Now if it would have supported PL lenses I think people would question it as much
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera