New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera! - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM   #136
Trustee

Re: New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera!

Thomas nailed many of the thoughts that I tried to put into words earlier in this thread but was not able to articulate as clearly. I paid $1500 for the ability to record ProRes to SSD with the Samurai. This basically has that built in!

I know the sensor size is odd, but once you get a few lenses and you acclimated, i think it will be a fine tool for the anyones toolkit.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM   #137
Major Player

IT truly makes sense to have a M4/3 adapter with this camera, having better choice of lenses:
Nokton 25mm, 17.5mm F 0.95, Olympus 12mm, 45mm, Panasonic 17mm, 45mm IS.
Optically mentioned lenses are better than Canon L lenses, IMO and made for sensor that is similar in size.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:51 AM   #138
Inner Circle

There are other cameras that record in ProRes the most notable being the Arri Alexa which also has the option to record in RAW although from what I read the vast majority of users shoot ProRes with the Alexa.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #139
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if this camera can be set to record single frames? We are looking into using it for a film printer.
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #140
Trustee

It's been about a month since this camera was announced. I know it doesn't ship until July....but has anyone seen or heard anything new regarding it? I was hoping there would be some new clips posted or some new information released by now to keep our appetites peaked.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #141
Major Player

Today is the BMD show in Burbank I expect any news to be launched from there, If there is I will post as soon as I return from the show,
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #142
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
Today is the BMD show in Burbank I expect any news to be launched from there, If there is I will post as soon as I return from the show,
You're headed to the show from Denver? Nice! I guess I asked this question on the right day I see!

Please post any news that you hear. I am particularly interested to confirm that the OIS on EOS lenses will work. I suspect it should....but this is a big thing for me since I will be shooting a decent amount of handheld clips.

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #143
Major Player

Actually headed from Ohio.
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #144
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
Actually headed from Ohio.
Philip,

What brings you to Ohio? Or is your profile location wrong? Also.....are you going strictly for the BMD event or do you have other business out there? Just asking as it seems like a large trip for a single manufacturer. I know I'd like to be there.

MArty
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #145
Major Player

In Columbus taking care of family matters for an indefinite stay, commuting to LA.

Was at BMD show. Mixed feelings. Cam is very filmic, but the LCD is a joke and is far far from an accurate picture, must have external monitor. Only 45 minutes RAW on 500GB SSD. Team is really nice and well meaning guys but clearly they do not know image capture. Lots of strange decisions like omitting compressed 60p becuase they could not do it with RAW. Seem to think this is a RAW cam when most people will shoot log compressed. Jello but they say it will be better in production version. NO Image Stabilization at ship, maybe latter. Still July ship from factory but may not arrive at dealers till later, Cannot emphasize enough how awful the LCD is. Only three ISO settings, 400, 800, 1600. Only three WB settings. This is a very crippled camera.

Everyone wants RAW and sees only that, ignoring the usability of the camera and the extreme workflow and post production equipment requirements. They estimate 4-5000 preorders, and up to two month backlog at ship. I predict lots of them will go to people who ignore the real workflow and design issues and let their cameras sit on the shelf. But for those who understand what a cine camera is, and need that specialized instrument the camera will be great.
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #146
Trustee

Wow. That is disappointing. I am still very interested but it seems like a lot of features are missing. I was hoping the LCD would be decent....is it not even as good as LCD on other cameras like af-100 or fs-100? I don't necessarily expect it to be 100% accurate to a field monitor but it should be at least good enough to focus and frame your scenes.

I too will be shooting primarily in a ProRes with Raw as an option when needed. WHat were your impressions of the crop factor? What lens did you see on it and how did it feel? Did it feel extremely cropped?

I am getting this camera for my narrative style work and hanging onto my XLh1 kit for more event oriented work. I considered selling my H1 and buying an af-100 or fs100, but thought BMD cam would allow me to keep the H1 and have a 2nd more "cine" style camera. Obviously these shallow DOF cameras aren't ideal for run and gun ENG type of shooting....so different tools for different jobs.

Any other thoughts? Can you elaborate on the filmic look?
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #147
Major Player

The LCD is good only for framing. It was hard to see clearly indoors, outside would match my feeling about the LCD - pathetic. It was tellng tha mearly everyone turned to the tabletop external monitor when they played with focus. It will probably be good for focus, but do not forget that it is a touch screen that hides the controls so you loose image when you need to change settings.

On the external monitor the cam produced nice creamy images that look pretty good (hard to tell without a LUT being applied).

Forget the AF100, the GH2 hacked is much better and cheaper if you want m4/3..

They had a canon 24-105 on the camera, at f4 not the best choice for indoor demo of a cam limited to 1600ISO
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #148
Major Player

Can't find anything about using legacy lenses on this cam..? Is this basically like the GH2 where you can use any lens with the right adapter?
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #149

Are there any cold shoes or 1/4" threads anywhere to attach things?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #150
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Can't find anything about using legacy lenses on this cam..? Is this basically like the GH2 where you can use any lens with the right adapter?
No. You can't use m4/3 or c-mount lenses (even with a 2x adapter).
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera