DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/506974-new-blackmagic-2-5k-raw-cinema-camera.html)

Glen Vandermolen April 16th, 2012 10:17 AM

New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera!

And for only $3,000!
Davinci resolve 9.0 included!

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...era/techspecs/

Sean Seah April 16th, 2012 10:26 AM

Re: New! Blackmagic 2.5K Raw cinema camera!

Holy cow I want one NOW...

Henry Coll April 16th, 2012 10:28 AM

BMD should change its name to Disrupting-Technology-INC

Once again taking everyone by surprise and releasing a product as capable as the rest, at a 10th of the price.

If the BMD camera delivers, this is the death of DLSRs as video cams and a very serious wound to RED, Canon, Sony and the rest.

This thing will fly off the shelves.

John Vincent April 16th, 2012 10:32 AM

Only one negative so far: 2.3x crop factor. Oh well, nothing's perfect!

Buba Kastorski April 16th, 2012 10:32 AM

this is probably the end of DSLR

Evan Donn April 16th, 2012 10:41 AM

Sounds pretty amazing. Looks like they've just about delivered on the original Scarlet promise.

Simon Wood April 16th, 2012 10:48 AM

Is this an S35 sized sensor? Or S16?

How did they keep the development of this thing under wraps?

Canon must be taking notes at this point. This camera pretty much represents a checklist of what everyone wanted!

Thomas Smet April 16th, 2012 10:48 AM

Not so sure if it is the death of DSLR's. $3,000.00 is a bit more then a $1,000.00 DSLR. Also recording to SSD is going to be a very expensive option compared to SDHC. Granted the quality should kick the $#@% out of DSLRs even the GH2 but a lot of people that buy DSLRs are extreme budget seekers.

Canon should be a bit concerned however because those who wanted a DSLR for a pro camera will be considering these for sure.

The thing I like the most about this camera is moire and aliasing should not be a problem since the camera is filtered for 1080p video. Should be about as sexy of 1080p video as you could expect from a single CMOS sensor.

Of course just like any video camera we all have to wait to see how it actually looks and performs. At the end of the day pretty much every HD camera on the market looks awesome when you just look at the specs. It is the image quality resolved that will ultimately make or break this camera. On paper however I do like what I see so far.

Steve Connor April 16th, 2012 10:55 AM

Blackmagic Cinema Camera - John Brawley

Great looking footage, this thing is astounding value.

Glen Vandermolen April 16th, 2012 10:57 AM

I understand the sensor size is a bit smaller than a micro 4/3, but larger than Super-16.

Henry Coll April 16th, 2012 10:58 AM

Looks like the sensor is about a fourth of 135 format (FF photo), therefore also also smaller than the standard S35.

This will affect depth of field and multiply the focals of all lenses.

Wonder why they chose such an odd sensor size.

Evan Donn April 16th, 2012 10:59 AM

Samples and firsthand user information is here:

Blackmagic Cinema Camera – Let’s take it from the top | johnbrawley

So far I like what I've seen. He doesn't make it sound particularly good in low light, so that may be a strike against it compared to the latest generation of cameras from the big manufacturers. I also hadn't noticed the 2.3x crop factor mentioned before... that could be another reason to go with another camera.

I wonder how this will impact the 'Digital Bolex' people - it sounds like BM basically did exactly what they were planning to do. I would guess the odd sensor size is because they are simply working with an off-the-shelf industrial sensor that was originally designed for something other than traditional cinematography.

Greg Fiske April 16th, 2012 11:24 AM

People are guessing its the same sensor as the A-Cam dII, and maybe the same sensor the digital bolex will be using.
ikonoskop.com

Greg Fiske April 16th, 2012 11:30 AM

Also, integrated battery is a no go for event work.

Steven Bills April 16th, 2012 11:30 AM

Looks like Blackmagic has stolen the show!

SB