Blackmagic for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Blackmagic for weddings?

have any of you seen the new Blackmagic cinema camera? Do you think it'll be a game changer for wedding videos just like what happened when the 5d ii came out? Look's really tempting especially it has a Canon EF mount and is estimated to come out at US$2,995

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Blackmagic for weddings?

I'm still wondering how you're going to get a good wide-angle field of view
with this camera. All EF and EF-S lenses will be a 2.x crop factor, making
the widest "regular" lens -- the EF-S 10-22mm -- not all that wide. And that
lens is pretty curvy at the wide end. The EF 14mm is nice and straight, but
costs almost as much as the camera. Hmm...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

М4/3 моunt would be great, having almost same sensor as BM, imo.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It could be a great camera for narrative drama but I have serious doubts about its suitability for run'n'gun documentaries & events like weddings. The screen doesn't look great for pulling focus & shooting in raw means a lot more work will be needed in post. Low light capability doesn't look like it's going to be great either. Not to mention recording in raw needs a 256GB SSD for just 30 minutes. You can shoot in ProRes requiring about 1GB/minute of storage but then you lose some of the attractions of shooting raw. On the other hand it looks like it's a hell of a bargain for what it can deliver especially as it includes a full copy of DaVinci Resolve so I have put down a deposit on one.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
М4/3 моunt would be great, having almost same sensor as BM, imo.
It would be nice as there is a good Panasonic 7-14mm F/4 lens that would cover the wide end nicely.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
It could be a great camera for narrative drama but I have serious doubts about its suitability for run'n'gun documentaries & events like weddings. The screen doesn't look great for pulling focus & shooting in raw means a lot more work will be needed in post. Low light capability doesn't look like it's going to be great either. Not to mention recording in raw needs a 256GB SSD for just 30 minutes. You can shoot in ProRes requiring about 1GB/minute of storage but then you lose some of the attractions of shooting raw. On the other hand it looks like it's a hell of a bargain for what it can deliver especially as it includes a full copy of DaVinci Resolve so I have put down a deposit on one.
I wasn;t expecting that at at the end !!
David Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Trustee

if some people film weddings on iPhones, you can definitely use anything better than that, and there are some pretty decent WA adapters available from Zunow;
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Major Player

My plan is for it to replace an existing gh2 which is being packaged as a documentary option. Or if that option isn't selected for a wedding, then a b cam for ceremony footage (since the light is always bad, and the crop is a benefit). I'm more optimistic than most, and I think lanc controllers and battery packs are going to come out so that event shooters can shoot fast. I don't think it will be used in prep,.. not until they come out with the 35mm sensor ;-)

It would just be nice to have something in your arsenal to deal with bad white balance and blown out skies. I also want my money to support companies that don't protect their higher end cameras.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Teng View Post
Do you think it'll be a game changer for wedding videos just like what happened when the 5d ii came out?
If I would use a blackmagic, shoot in raw, go trough all the trouble of the more difficult workflow or if I would use a sony cx700 and put it in automatic mode most of my wedding clients wouldn't even care less what camera I would use. There is absolutely no demand for 2,5k raw footage in the wedding market here, not even for dslr footage, most only care about what it costs and as long as it looks decent, they are happy. (very cheap videographers here can't keep up with requests from brides and their demo's that I have seen look awe-full and cheesy)

So in Belgium at least this camera won't even cause a ripply in wedding industry pool, for corporate, commercial work etc, that's another story, if you have the time to set up, choose your location, light your set and work according to a script meaning plan every shot, then this camera is a bargain for what it offers.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Major Player

it is approx 3k, but the true cost of this could be more?

for weddings

with 2.5k raw file, you'd need more: CF cards, RAM and a powerful workstation and you can add more here

Im not saying I dont like it though, Ill put a mileage on my Mark II first before I jump into this again
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Trustee

I'm going to get one but I want to shoot the wedding standing backwards and looking through a mirror to make the adjustments - why aim for difficult when you can have F*&@n impossible?
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:59 AM   #12
Major Player

I read (I assume incorrectly) that it had a fixed battery that could not be removed, just charged.. wrong? (right?)
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Trustee

most likely camera will have port for the external power source, but i agree, built in battery is a huge negative side of it
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
most likely camera will have port for the external power source, but i agree, built in battery is a huge negative side of it
The camera does have a power socket. It's not seen as a huge negative to have a fixed internal battery on a MacBook or iPhone so looking at it more positively the internal battery can be seen as a convenience for when you don't have the external battery attached.
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Major Player

From what I've read, the internal battery is meant for hot swapping abilities. Most people will want to factor a battery pack into their purchase.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera