DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS100 / Blackmagic Cinema

Anyone looking across the room at BlackMagic's new 3 grand cinema camera? Any thoughts on the little revolution that these folks are trying to start, and how that might effect folks like us?
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FS100 / Blackmagic Cinema

I'm looking at it from beneath....I currently have the VG20 that I consider to be very good in terms of getting a deceent image and in low light like the FS100. Before the Black Magic, that was my next step up....but Black Magic may have given me a better step up, for less money. I've deposited money for a purchase.
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I love my fs100, and don't regret my purchase one bit. I know sensor size isn't everything, but I'm curious so see some more real world videos from the Black Magic.

I've back tracked a little. I had never owned a DSLR, and went straight to the fs100, from a 1/3 sensor camera. But I ordered a Canon 60D earlier this week (80% for still photo use), but I'm sure I'll make use of its video functions as well.

I'm curious about th Black Magic camera, but not concerned over my fs100 purchase. If anything, it might make my upgrade to another camera (in a few years) more affordable, as it may bring prices down.
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver View Post
Anyone looking across the room at BlackMagic's new 3 grand cinema camera? Any thoughts on the little revolution that these folks are trying to start, and how that might effect folks like us?
Its not going to affect you as much as they hype around the camera suggests (my opinion).

I expect the FS100 to continue to prove its value for some time to come.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

What makes the FS100 worth $2000 more?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I never, EVER... as in EVER, thought I could actually say this without any irony or jest intended, but here goes:

"Ergonomics" - ROFL!

With its miniature buttons 'sneezed' upon its box brownie body, a wonky handle and curiously fragile feeling side grip, it's viewfinder 'chimney' inspired by Isombard Kingdom Brunel and implemented by the (fictional) Bergholt Stuttley "Bloody Stupid" Johnson, I did feel that we had a camera that only its owners would love.

But Black Magic Design does seem to have done the Anti Ergonomic brigade proud.

And then there's the oddness of its sensor size that will mean a bit of head scratch or a lot of practice when selecting lenses, especially when thinking about wide angles. Or lack thereof, if EF fit staples like the Tokina 11-16 become 28-35 equivalents in 35mm still terms, or do we have to use semi-fisheyes like the Canon 8-15?

We'll see if Rolling Shutter rears its ugly head, and to what extent (it's a fact of life these days), and we'll excuse the fixed battery - even though it's going to cost you at least $1k to add a power system (battery, charger, rods to hold it, pad to support it, cables to connect it).

The BMC is a welcome addition as a camera that will do stunning Chromakey and studio work, and spending most of its time on a jib or dolly, whilst jobbing videographers and the like may wish to consider spending the extra $2k.

Just being argumentative for the fun of it. May even be a rocking interview/talking head camera too.

Last edited by Matt Davis; May 2nd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
Just being argumentative for the fun of it..
Matt,

Your posts are so interesting to read - English is not my native language, but I can almost feel you enjoy every little phrase of them!

So do we. Plus, I'm learning some more English...

Thanks, mate (pun intended) :)
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Space Hipster

I think the FS100 is an all around more versatile camera, but that's based solely on what I've read about the BMC. I think the BMC is more of a cinema camera, whereas the FS can be used for pretty much any event. It has been for me, anyway.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
just to add a few points to Matt's list:

- Connectors on the wrong side (they poke in your face, when you have it on the shoulder)

- Iris, shutter, WB, well actually everything controlled by touchscreen (dig that menu).

- gotta send it in, when the battery dies - and because it is the same battery as in the shuttle, we all know, when that will happen.

- no histogram, waveform, or audiometers until you carry a Mac laptop with you.

- no phantom power, no XLR

- the only real buttons the BMCC has, are in the place where you want to mount your v.mount battery
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Lets face it. The benefit of the Black Magic Camera is in the end files, and their ability to sustain heavier color grading and correction and be subjected to all sorts of compositing and manipulation. As the name implies, its for cinema production, and that is what I would use it for.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM   #11
Major Player

I looked at the BM camera I wouldn't buy it, for all of the stated reasons and especially for the battery hassle. But BM is a smart company and I suspect the next version of their camera will very quickly address many of the issues. But run and gun it is not. Fast and dirty edit it is not. I like my FS100 and the kit/package I built around it and look forward to seeing more new fast lenses from makers Tokina and Rokinon, Zeiss and others in the near future.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM   #12
Major Player

I think the BMC rather neatly addresses the sensor-in-a-box crowd - a section which is growing rapidly larger as people are investing in off-board recorders to capture higher quality footage from their cameras.

It's certainly a more basic and straightforward way of capturing images, and I for one quite like that (but then I don't shoot event work, so my needs are quite different from those who do - I have time to plan my choices, rather than having them dictated by the situation).
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm stunned by the bad ergonomics and feature sets on all cameras in the price range. You would think that someone could come up with versatile large sensor camera with a good form factor. It's not rocket science, and I just don't understand the consistent rollout of crippled cameras that could be so much more with just a little bit more design attention.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm stunned by the bad ergonomics and feature sets on all cameras in the price range. You would think that someone could come up with versatile large sensor camera with a good form factor. It's not rocket science, and I just don't understand the consistent rollout of crippled cameras that could be so much more with just a little bit more design attention.
Couldn't agree more, Bill.

So much so that - as much as I'm not into conspiracy theories - I suspect this is some unofficial agreement between the major players (Sony, Canon, Panasonic) and the little guys who make $$$ on us selling rig of various kind (shoulder supports, evfs etc).

How nice it would be if all those great cameras came in the JVC "small shoulder mount" form factor!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
+1!

Not really interested in 4K or RAW but please can we see some ergonomics?!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera