DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   Black Magic Designs Camera- Status Anyone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/509714-black-magic-designs-camera-status-anyone.html)

Chris Barcellos July 31st, 2012 04:30 PM

Black Magic Designs Camera- Status Anyone

Not having any idea where to post this, I chose the Black Magic Subforum.

It has been pretty silent since NAB, but the 31st of July is just about over, and there is no real talk anywhere. I posted deposit at one of DVInfo's advertisers, but he doesn't seem to have much more information.

I see Guy at DVEStore is taking orders, and I would have ordered from Guy had I known he was going to be selling them, because he has supported our DVInfo Challenges. Sorry, Guy !!

I see Guy and others are bundling with an SSD drive for the original price.

This raises some questions for me at this point:

1. Is an SSD drive part of Black Magics original package bundle ?

2. What is the latest expected delivery date ? Anyone from Black Magic have any thing on that ?

3. Have any new features been added as shipping date approaches ?

Andy Wilkinson August 1st, 2012 09:49 AM

Re: Black Magic Designs Camera- Status Anyone

Chris,

Regarding delivery date, here in the UK, a major video supplier (CVP) are now saying it has been delayed by 2 weeks and should be shipped mid-August. Web reports in the last 24 hrs suggest the firmware is now finalised and units are already in production.

[I have no inside knowledge, just stuff I've read on the web, BTW].

I guess it would be good if Blackmagic actually confirmed all this directly!

Chris Barcellos August 1st, 2012 09:52 AM

Thanks Andy. Certainly not a way to engender confidence with those of us who have expressed interest by making deposits on these cameras.

Chris Hurd August 1st, 2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1746366)
Not having any idea where to post this, I chose the Black Magic Subforum.

Once this camera actually starts shipping, we'll run a dedicated board for it.

Jacques Mersereau August 1st, 2012 01:12 PM

<RUMOR ALERT> A BMC purchaser from another site said that his vendor told him the shipping date was now the middle of August, BUT could be later.

Allan Barnwell August 6th, 2012 10:01 AM

I received an email last Tuesday while on vacation from Blackmagic which said the official estimate was now that resellers would begin receiving units in the 3rd week of August.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services

Chris Barcellos August 21st, 2012 07:44 PM

Anybody have new news on the Black Magic Camera- shipping anywhere yet ?

Jacques Mersereau August 22nd, 2012 07:23 AM

The rumors from various sites suggest the delivery date has been moved back until the end of August.

Grant Petty sent out this email today. I hope it is okay with him that I share this information, but it is more to do with Resolve than the camera.

<<< We have a new Blackmagic Forum on our web site now and we think it will allow people to help each other and share knowledge. If you would like to check it out then please go to forum.blackmagicdesign.com.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Files

We have posted some RAW CinemaDNG shots from the Blackmagic Cinema Camera for download, and people have been asking for these. They are RAW so they have the entire image of the camera available for color grading. Because RAW images are a little different to grade than video files, there is a post by John Brawley on our forum with more info on the shots and how to grade them. >>>

Chris Barcellos August 30th, 2012 06:11 PM

Okay, 8 days later, still no real word from any one, and it is now end of August. But wow, I just downloaded some ProRes files posted by John Brawley, and I am already hooked. Black Magic may have a winner here for sure, if we can just get it shipped.......

Sean Seah August 31st, 2012 12:48 AM

I got my unit last week. Some users in Singapore got theirs yesterday. Shipping has begun in low volumes already from what I heard.

Frank Glencairn August 31st, 2012 01:17 AM

I'm testing it since a week - good clean fun!

Noa Put August 31st, 2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1750737)
I got my unit last week.

*Sigh* not another unboxing video ;)

I"ve been eyeballing the BM as well to be used for some more serious work, the low purchase cost seems tempting but I fear costs will add up quickly before it's production ready, also for workflow on a windows pc I have too many unanswered questions. Hopefully more users, like Frank, will be posting usefull video's explaining pro/contra and workflow.

Chris Barcellos August 31st, 2012 10:00 AM

Noa, if its any help, I downloaded Brawley ProRes camer files, and Vegas Pro 11 did fine...

Noa Put August 31st, 2012 10:43 AM

Thx Chris, What I"m interested in particularly is how footage shot in raw is dealt with in post, based from what I have seen so far you get the most benefit out of this camera shooting in that format. I"d like to see a video showing how raw footage is processed (I take it it has to pass through Davinci resolve first and then exported for further editing in a NLE, but what format do you export in to retain the quality. it's 12 bit to start with but the NLE I use (Edius 6.51) supports "only" 10bit, what do you loose then, will it be obvious? It's that kind of questions. :)

Dave Hardy August 31st, 2012 01:31 PM

I believe the workflow is, shoot raw, bring the footage into Resolve, export an XML or EDL file to your ediing software, import XML file into your editor & edit in 8 bit or 10 bit, export an XML or EDL of your fine cut to Resolve & then Conform & Color Grade the Raw footage, then export to the format needed.

For the time being you may want to take a look at Rick Young's new site where he has an video interview with Grant Petty plus a video of some footage that he shot with a loner shipping model of the camera. Rick should have a video next week of his results bringing the footage into Resolve.

All the best,

Dave

Rick Young's Movie Machine - The Art of Technology of Digital Filmmaking