DaVinci Resolve Lite (can I use it?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old March 14th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Major Player

DaVinci Resolve Lite (can I use it?)

I am considering renting a BMCC to shoot a short film soon and plan to shoot RAW.

But because I will be renting the camera, they won't give me Resolve with it.

So I'm stuck with the free version which limits access. The main way I think that will affect me is that the free one doesn't allow resolutions higher than HD, so the prospect of shooting in 2.5K may be useless to me.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

-- John
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite (can I use it?)

What's your normal editing/coloring software? Adobe speedgrade does a great job with cDNG's
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Major Player

I just color inside Premiere in Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista. I'm very new to proper color grading, so this will be a trial by fire.

I've never used SpeedGrade but will look into it. Won't I still need to transcode the DNGs for editing in Premiere anyway?
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post

So I'm stuck with the free version which limits access. The main way I think that will affect me is that the free one doesn't allow resolutions higher than HD, so the prospect of shooting in 2.5K may be useless to me.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

-- John
You can import 2.5K DNG files into Resolve Lite, but monitoring and export is limited to 1080p: Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve Compare and http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2...ing-raw-2.html

Unless you're anticipating a 2K screening over DCP, it's cool. Why don't you download and test it? It's free anyway.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Major Player

For those who want the download link.
Blackmagic Design: Support

Davinci resolve 9 lite
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
I just color inside Premiere in Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista. I'm very new to proper color grading, so this will be a trial by fire.

I've never used SpeedGrade but will look into it. Won't I still need to transcode the DNGs for editing in Premiere anyway?
Yes, as it stands, fingers crossed this will change in CS6.5
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Unless you are color grading pro, SpeedGrade will most likely give you a giant headache in it's current form. I'm hoping this changes with further development, but right now it is too difficult to get projects into and out of.

I echo the recommendation of Colorista II. It's very powerful, and since it is a plugin, you can grade as you go without having to have image-lock on the whole project. Plus edit changes will be no problem...

Have a test-drive in Speedgrade and you'll quickly see what I mean.

If you are going to edit the project completely, then color grade as you final step, different story.

:)
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I echo the recommendation of Colorista II. It's very powerful, and since it is a plugin, you can grade as you go without having to have image-lock on the whole project. Plus edit changes will be no problem...
This is my preferred solution.

My thinking at the moment is to either:

OPTION ONE: DaVINCI:
1. Transcode to ProRes
2. Import in Premiere
3. Edit
4. Export XML
5. Import XML into DaVinci, but re-link original RAW files
6. Grade in DaVinci
7. Export Final Film

or

OPTION TWO: CINEFORM
1. Transcode to Cineform RAW using Cineform Studio Premium (which I already own)
2. Edit in Premiere using Colorista and Magic Bullet
3. Grade in Premiere
4. Export

I just need to know how to do step 1 of this option.

Do people have opinions about the validity of either/both options?
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Unless you are color grading pro, SpeedGrade will most likely give you a giant headache in it's current form. I'm hoping this changes with further development, but right now it is too difficult to get projects into and out of.

Have a test-drive in Speedgrade and you'll quickly see what I mean.

If you are going to edit the project completely, then color grade as you final step, different story.

:)
Couldn't agree more about Speedgrade, what a nightmare. I'm loving newblue ColorFast.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Major Player

You're not really likely to export higher than 1080p video from the camera's 2.5k DNGs anyway - the oversampling is there to give you sharp 1080p images from a bayer-pattern sensor. So it's intended for 1080p output, you'd just be interpolating the added resolution if you were to export 2.5k files.

In short - the Lite version isn't the limitation you think it is with the BMC.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
You're not really likely to export higher than 1080p video from the camera's 2.5k DNGs anyway - the oversampling is there to give you sharp 1080p images from a bayer-pattern sensor. So it's intended for 1080p output, you'd just be interpolating the added resolution if you were to export 2.5k files.

In short - the Lite version isn't the limitation you think it is with the BMC.
That's fair enough. So are you suggesting that a superior 1080p image can be gained by scaling the 2.5K down rather than simply cropping the 2.5K to 1080?
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Major Player

Yep, debayering the DNG files will get you native 1080p files. Cropping a 1080p frame out of the un-debayered 2.5k raw files, or exporting the raw files as 2.5k video files will use computing power to interpolate (guess) the missing information between pixels.

You might still get a nice result, but it'll never be as nice as properly debayered 1080p files from the 2.5k raw files.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
Yep, debayering the DNG files will get you native 1080p files. Cropping a 1080p frame out of the un-debayered 2.5k raw files, or exporting the raw files as 2.5k video files will use computing power to interpolate (guess) the missing information between pixels.

You might still get a nice result, but it'll never be as nice as properly debayered 1080p files from the 2.5k raw files.
Well I guess I have to learn what debayering means exactly. I thought it simply referred to a kind of "digital development" of the digital negative file. But it sounds a bit more complicated than that. Is that the stage where the "look" is burned in to the footage?
Old March 28th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Does this method give you the full flexibility of the raw file though? If DaVinci and Cineform FirstLight have access to metadata and are non-destructive, is colorista just as powerful and non-destructive?
Old March 28th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Inner Circle

When you are using Colorista, my understanding is that as a plugin, nothing is done to the raw original file. You have to render a new file to have a permanent changed file.

In Davinci, I think it is the same. You have to actually render out a new file. Is that what everyone is saying ??? Have I got that right ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera