Workflow question: Should I be editing at 2.5K or at 1080p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Workflow question: Should I be editing at 2.5K or at 1080p?

Hi,

I've converted my BMCC 2.5K raw into Cineform RAW (still at 2.5K resolution) and am editing in a 2.5K sequence.

But should I be editing in a 1920x1080 sequence? I'm still unsure as to whether the Blackmagic Cinema Camera's footage is intended to be viewed at 2.5K or whether its purpose is actually to be scaled down to 1080p.

If it is supposed to be scaled down, my sub questions are:

1. Should I use Cineform Studio to scale down in the RAW conversion process or can I use my NLE (Premiere) to just scale it during the edit?
2. Can I crop to 1080p without concern or is that not suggested?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks for your help,

-- John
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Workflow question: Should I be editing at 2.5K or at 1080p?

Edit at native format. Output to target format.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Major Player

So there's no difference in the scaling capabilities of Premiere or Cineform or Resolve?
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Major Player

If I'm combining with other 1080 media then I set up a 1080 project. Otherwise native as mentioned.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Major Player

And Duane, if you're scaling to 1080, do you do that in Resolve or do you do it in the editing program with a bit more control of framing and the ability to crop if you prefer?

And is there a good reason to scale in one program over the other?
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Major Player

I've been scaling in premiere pro with decent results. Don't like the way 1080 files look when you enlarge them so I would rather scale down the larger files until I'm mastering to 4k.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey fellas,

If you have some 2.5K (or even 4K) footage, and your project is initially 2.5K (or 4K), and you include some 2K or 1080P footage as well, can't you still edit in the highest res, with the smaller rez footage "centering" and then when you output to 1080P the 2K/2.5K/4K would scale down while the 1080P would stay the same size and fill the final screen size? Or would premiere scale the 1080P down too even if the target was 1080P?
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Until today, I had felt that editing in 2.5 was just going to be a bit too much for my system, and I had been shooting only Prores. However, I decided look at the Cineform option today, and I am pleasantly surprised on how easy it is on my system. I shouldn't have been surprised I suppose, because I have using Cineform since I started with HDV, and I always come back to using it, despite the other new things that come along.

It turns out that the process recommended in the tutorials is indeed very easy. You injest you Raw to CIneform, using a protune setting and you get an clean and easy to edit file that is about 1/5 the size of the raw frames. The converted footage maintains the wide dynamic ranges, and in my case, when I take it into Vegas, the editing tools there work well with the Cineform files. Cineform claims there resulting files are visually lossless, and I have to say this seems to be true. I had been struggling with a Resolve workflow prior to this just in using Prorez, and it seems this method (shooting raw and working with a cineform converted file as the master file is a better answer than shooting in Prores.

A reminder about converting in Cineform Studio, make sure to render at the full 2.5 K file size and edit in that format, and convert down to 1920 x 1080 if necessary as your final output file. The 2.5 image is so nice !!

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; April 26th, 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Correct statement in final sentence.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I've been doing the ProRes route, too. I don't have a workhorse computer, just an iMac dual-core, so I haven't even tried shooting RAW. your post makes me want to try RAW. What would be your simplest sequence of steps for taking a one-minute RAW clip, chopping out a few seconds of nothing, all the way to the point of final export?
Casey Danielson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera