M4/3 lenses for BMPCC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old April 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Major Player

M4/3 lenses for BMPCC

OK, I'm thinking really hard about the BMPCC over a Canon 5D MkIII or similar body. I already own a 60D with a few EF lenses but if I go the Pocket Cinema Camera route, I'd have to invest in Micro 4/3 lenses. Not sure of the crop factor involved or the best manufacturer of said lenses...

That being stated, what one MFT zoom lens or 2 MFT primes would y'all recommend for this camera? Focal lengths, makers, etc... ??

I'm just trying to get a handle on what might be involved here... Thanks!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: M4/3 lenses for BMPCC

I'm in the same situation except that I have a bunch of niikon lenses. I was thinking of getting an MFT to Nikon adapter or eventually buying a metabones speedbooster for the nikons (especially good for the Tokina 11-16). I might also get something like a 20mm 1.7 MFT for a walkaround lens.

You might want to keep in mind that the pocket camera active MFT mount is somewhat limited. As far as I know at this point, it will only support iris adjustments and image stabilization. While there will be focus peaking, there won't be autofocus.

Last edited by Stephen Brenner; April 18th, 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: additional info
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm going to wait until an EF to micro 4/3 speed booster actually exists before buying the BMPCC but that hasn't stopped me thinking about lens permutations. With the speed booster the Tokina 11-16 would be the only lens that I would need to add to my current EF lenses. The speed booster would make the Tokina plenty wide enough for my purposes (roughly 22-32mm FF equivalent) which would compliment my 24-70mm 2.8 (which with speed booster becomes 48-140 FF equivalent on the BMPCC) add to that my 100mm macro IS (which becomes 200mm FF equivalent) and I think I'll have all my basic needs covered.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My picks:

SLR Magic 12mm Hyperprime CINE - fast, and should still be moderately wide on the BMPCC. Plus they claim T1.6. Don't know if it's true, but it seems bright, and is quite sharp across the whole MFT frame at f/2.0. MF only, but I don't think anyone will mind :) You could also grab the Oly 12mm if you want autofocus, but I think the SLR Magic is a better deal...

Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 - also quite sharp, and fast focusing. MF is tolerable - this was my favorite MFT lens. SLR Magic has something similar now, which is probably more appropriate for video, and similarly priced. Nokton 25mm is again probably more suitable, but at 2x the price, I am quite comfortable with the Panny.
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Trustee

SLR Magic full manual 12mm, 25mm, 35mm - great full manual control and very fast. The last two are f0.95 and f1.4.

Olympus 12mm, 17mm - full auto lenses. 12mm not as fast as SLR magic but still f2.0. 17mm f1.8 nice lens slightly wider than 20mm Lumix and light years faster autofocus.

Lumix 20mm, 12-35mm, 7-14mm - great full auto lenses. 20mm very small and light and fast. Autofocus horrible. 12-35mm f2.8 is a super sharp fast zoom lens. Good walk around option since it gives you focal range options. 7-14mm is slow at f4 but super wide.

Nokton 17.5mm, 25mm - full manual lenses very fast at f0.95. 17.5mm not super wide on BMPC but about the widest fastest option you will have for super low light outside of the SLR Magic 12mm at f1.6. 0.95 is much brighter than f1.6 however so pick your poison. Very expensive.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Lumix 20mm, 12-35mm, 7-14mm - great full auto lenses. 20mm very small and light and fast. Autofocus horrible. 12-35mm f2.8 is a super sharp fast zoom lens.
I would choose the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 as a good, reasonably fast, general purpose lens for the BMPCC. Nice thing about that lens is that it's a constant maximum f2.8 aperture so there's no ramping when zooming in.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bratcher View Post
My picks:

SLR Magic 12mm Hyperprime CINE - fast, and should still be moderately wide on the BMPCC. Plus they claim T1.6.
I came to suggest this. Looks like a beast and a great price too. That'll be my lens of choice.

Oh and the BMPCC's crop is 3x from 35mm. So a 12mm will be 36mm on the BMPCC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera