DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   Anyone have a crystal ball? Updating lens firmware on BMPCC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/516925-anyone-have-crystal-ball-updating-lens-firmware-bmpcc.html)

Jeff Troiano June 2nd, 2013 10:36 AM

Anyone have a crystal ball? Updating lens firmware on BMPCC?

I was hoping someone could pull out their crystal ball, and speculate something for me.

I have preordered the pocket cinema camera. When I did, I also ordered the Panasonic Lumix 12-35 f2.8 lens. I have recently learned there is a firmware update for this lens, that is suppose to make the IS better for shooting video.

(Here where ill need the crystal ball)

I don't own any mft mount camera bodies, so I can't update the firmware. I'm wondering if the Pocket Cinema Camera will allow for me to update this firmware? Or do I need to buy a mft body to do this with? I'm wondering with the active mount if this could be an option?

Any speculation?

John McCully June 3rd, 2013 02:41 AM

Re: Anyone have a crystal ball? Updating lens firmware on BMPCC?

Hey Jeff, crystal balls I do not have nor any notion of how to read the unreadable. Be that as it most certainly is I have a couple of suggestions. If all else fails BMPCC-wise, and it might, then you could perhaps briefly rent an appropriate Panasonic body and do the job in the comfort of your own home with nobody watching, or you might send the lens to your nearest Panasonic service center and politely suggest they do it for you free of charge. They should.

In any event I suspect, again crystal balls totally absent, time is on your side; I don’t imagine your pre-ordered BMPCC is about to show up on your doorstep tomorrow and present what would then be a horrific problem (we should all be so fortunate).

I am holding off on a lens purchase until such time as the elusive takes a step towards reality and I get even the faintest hint of imminent shipment.

Cheers.

Bob Willis June 3rd, 2013 02:56 PM

Jeff, my crystal ball says

"Concentrate and try again"
and
"Outlook not so good"

Jeff Troiano June 3rd, 2013 03:15 PM

I'll end up renting a body for a day, and doing the update myself. Thought of taking e lens and sd card (with update on it) to a local shop, ask if I can snap a few photos with the body, to see how the photos look. Then update the firmware while I'm doing it.

Daniel Epstein June 4th, 2013 04:54 PM

Ask the rental company ( if they are local ) will they do the firmware upgrade on the lens for you as a favor without renting the camera for the day? Or for a small fee.