DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   A couple of questions about the Pocket Cam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/517625-couple-questions-about-pocket-cam.html)

Jim Andrada July 7th, 2013 09:14 AM

A couple of questions about the Pocket Cam

I'm doing Audio/Video for a local symphony orchestra and was thinking of using a couple of the pocket cams to get a close up of the performers - I was thinking of mounting one each fairly high on light stands at the edge of the stage in sort of an "X/Y" configuration ie left cam on right half of orchestra and vice versa. I'd have my venerable JVC 110 with me in the rear balcony as main cam and will render the project out at 720p, which is just fine. With the higher Pocket Cam resolution I think I could do digital pan/zoom in post to focus on a specific section for solos etc. We already have a fixed cam at the back of the orchestra for shots of the conductor, although might want to also upgrade that one next year.

Having said all that, the main concern would be recording time on the pocket cams as they would be inaccessible except during the intermission for battery & memory swaps. I'd probably need a reliable 70 - 80 minutes to cover each half of the program since the "un-personed" cams would have to be started ahead of the conductor's introductory remarks.

Size/weight/price are attractive but just wondering if I'm missing any gotchas.

Thoughts???

Thanks

Bill Bruner July 7th, 2013 12:37 PM

Re: A couple of questions about the Pocket Cam

According to the tech specs, the Pocket Cinema Camera can record for about one hour continuously on its internal battery, so you would have to provide it with an external 12-20V power supply to last for 70 minutes.

If you can find a way to provide it with external power, you can fit 100 minutes of ProRes on a 128GB SDXC card at 220mbps.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Jim Andrada July 7th, 2013 07:09 PM

Thanks Bill.

I think I can figure out how to power them for the duration of the concert, but it sounds like I'll need to have an accomplice close to the stage to trigger REC on and off. There will only be a total of 70 to 90 minutes of actual performance so one 128 GB card in each cam should be enough for the whole concert IF I can figure out how to start and stop recording remotely (ie maybe 20 to 40 feet away from the camera.)

I thought I saw somewhere that the Pocket cam would work with LANC so now would need a simple control to let my accomplice (wife) toggle recording on and off from the front row.

Bill Bruner July 8th, 2013 02:41 AM

Yes, that's also in the tech specs. The camera has a 2.5mm LANC control for Rec Start/Stop, iris control and focus.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Alex Anderson July 8th, 2013 05:27 PM

Gotta believe someone could design and build a simple wireless control to trigger the Lanc input on each camera for start and stop. Maybe Radio Shack has some DIY kit or Youtube. First, figure out how the Lanc control works and then make your own wireless Lanc setup.

Alex

John Brawley July 13th, 2013 11:46 PM

LANC control will work for remote triggering.

Im aware of an iPhone app in development that will allow this to work wirelessly but you'd have to have a WIFI network for them to all talk to each other.

The internal battery will struggle to last an hour. My experience is more like 40 mins. It also depends a little on how hot it gets. The camera has active (powered) cooling so as it gets hotter, it also draws more power.

You should look to an external power solution.

jb

Jim Andrada July 14th, 2013 07:58 PM

Thanks John - nice to know. Particularly as it gets above 110F around here on occasion