EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Major Player

New Pocket Cam footage

Ran across this, this morning.

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New Pocket Cam footage

mm, still don't know if I should get excited over this, I read that the camera has not been delivered out yet he seems to have one now? did bmc have one camera in stock and send that one out? :)

I"m still waiting for someone that has a tripod so I can at least can have a good look at the image, with this one I got seasick the first minute and yeah, I know it's supposed to be a camera you can use handheld but still.

The biggest issue for me is the almost 3x cropfactor (if I understood it right) which makes it very hard to get a decent wideangle view.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Major Player

He mentions using "his" LUT to grade the footage (the Captain Hook LUT John Brawley has mentioned using before). Seems they are friends, so he may have had access to John's camera. Who knows?
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

me thinks so, the first question on his vimeo page is how he was able to get a camera while no-one else has and it remains unanswered, maybe bmc is trying to trow us another bone to keep everyone happy for another while untill they manage to sort out their deliveries.
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Major Player

I thought the low light stuff looked nice and the highlights were handled pretty well in the basketball footage.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm still very excited about this camera. While my plan to get to know it, is to shoot similar "walking around" type scenarios, I'm looking forward to seeing some narrative type shots from it (I'm a wanna be indie guy).

When he mentioned using the Glidecam HD4000, was hoping for a bit more steady cam footage. Although I can't help but think the HD4000 is a bit over kill for the pocket cam. I hoping to pick up a HD1000, and still be able to rig my DP6 monitor to it.

On the Blackmagic forum, people were asking the guy what shutter angle he shot at, saying the basketball footage looked "choppy" on their computers. I watched on my ipad, and it didn't seem choppy to me at all.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Can't wait for that thing to get here.
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm wondering about logistics. John Brawley announced a couple new features with the latest firmware. Wondering when cameras,are leaving the manufacture point, to arrive in the hands of the dealers who will be filling the orders. And if they will be shipping with the latest firmware, or will we be updating as soon as we are unboxing? I not holding out hope thst ill get mine on the first go around of order fulfilment's. I didn't preorder mine until May 22. So expecting to be a ways down the list.
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Good find Jeff, thanks for the link.

Nice footage, sort of. Actually, seems to me more of a Blackmagic promo for the cam all planed and ‘approved’ as one might expect. No, can’t get excited over this; looks too soft for my purposes even though he never keeps the camera still for one second in order, as you say Noa, that one might get a good look. And yes, I’m a bit seasick too however the nearby magnitude 5.8 earthquake that went on and on while I was watching this didn’t help!

Clearly they are targeting this kind of use as in the comments section the ‘shooter’ says ‘I couldn't bring myself to rig up this camera as it kind of defeats the purpose to me’ ha ha, which confirms the marketing strategy of Blackmagic to position this cam for this kind of shooting. And that’s understandable as then it won’t eat into their more expensive model's market and in all probability the footage won’t measure up to the other models anyway though as of now that’s still somewhat of an assumption.

His last sentence at Vimeo says it all; promotion, promotion promotion, and why not!

Do I cancel my order and pop my (premature) lens on Trademe? Or just cancel my order and get myself a GH3? Or just wait...

Hmmmmm.

Now another earthquake, this one 4.6.

Last edited by John McCully; July 20th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCully View Post

Clearly they are targeting this kind of use as in the comments section the ‘shooter’ says ‘I couldn't bring myself to rig up this camera as it kind of defeats the purpose to me’ ha ha, which confirms the marketing strategy of Blackmagic to position this cam for this kind of shooting. And that’s understandable as then it won’t eat into their more expensive model's market and in all probability the footage won’t measure up to the other models anyway though as of now that’s still somewhat of an assumption.
You love pushing this conspiracy barrow don't you ?

Hook had free reign to shoot whatever he liked. Why don't you ask him instead of positing theories about why BMD are somehow holding back whatever footage it is you're expecting to see.

jb
John Brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Major Player

John, I'm sure you've been asked this a million times, but are you allowed to comment on RAW yet?
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I rather would like to see some footage from someone that has gotten their camera through the normal delivery chain then from someone BMD exclusively pick themselves for whatever reason, no offense John but all footage I have seen so far from this camera looks the same to me, lots of shake as if we are not supposed to have good look or because it's asked to do so because of the way the camera is marketed.

Why does BMD hand one model over to another person asking to make yet another shaky home video while they should be delivering the camera out to all dealers, as promised, for everyone to try and see for themselves?
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
John, I'm sure you've been asked this a million times, but are you allowed to comment on RAW yet?
RAW is not likely to be ready for shipping but will be added later.

To be certain, it will be the same as on the BMCC. The compression is lossless.

jb
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I rather would like to see some footage from someone that has gotten their camera through the normal delivery chain then from someone BMD exclusively pick themselves for whatever reason, no offense John but all footage I have seen so far from this camera looks the same to me, lots of shake as if we are not supposed to have good look or because it's asked to do so because of the way the camera is marketed.

Why does BMD hand one model over to another person asking to make yet another shaky home video while they should be delivering the camera out to all dealers, as promised, for everyone to try and see for themselves?
The camera hasn't shipped yet.

Why don't you wait until it has and then see if it's for you.

jb
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
The camera hasn't shipped yet.
If they wait some more they could put this line of text under their logo because that's what they will be associated with. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera