DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   EF or MFT BMCC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/518096-ef-mft-bmcc.html)

Alex Anderson August 2nd, 2013 12:29 PM

EF or MFT BMCC?

Which lens mount and why for the BMCC? Besides the fact that you might own one style of lenses over the other. I mean to say, are there any advantages, technical reasons and benefits to buy one style over the other? I don't own either type of lenses at the moment, so I would be buying new.

Alex

Alex Anderson August 6th, 2013 01:38 AM

Re: EF or MFT BMCC?

doesn't anybody have an opinion or knowledge to share on my question of which one to buy and hwy? ef or mft?

alex

Chris Barcellos August 6th, 2013 01:57 AM

I bought the EF because of having glass to mount tto the camera. MTF buyers have been shooting micro four thirds and move over easily to that camera.

As I understand it, both use same sensor, though MTF crops a bit more. At one time MTF had no electronic connection to lenses, so very limited auto setting in the line were only available to EF users. You can get the EF to do a semi auto exposure, and you can control aperture of most canon lenses from back of camera. MTF. Is dumb with respect to lens control. Otherwise, cameras are very similar.

Biggest issue is your lens budget. I have bought a lot of vintage glass that adapts to EF mount. It all manual, but I prefer shooting that way anyway. I have shot witn old Nikon and Pentax glass with great results.

Alex Anderson August 6th, 2013 02:05 AM

hi chris.

i don't have any glass yet, so i was wondering. what would you go with if you had no glass yet? Is Ef better quality, like canon lenses? are mft lenses also of high quality as ef? Do mft lenses cost less but still have a similar high quality as ef?

alex

Philip Lipetz August 6th, 2013 05:47 AM

If you have no lens investment driving your decision,mind you are comfortable with manual lenses Whic are really the only way to go with video acquisition, the get the MFT Since you can get adapters that mount almost any old ,annual lens ranging from cinmea PL glass to old still lenses from Pentax , Nikon and Canon FD that are great and very inexpensive.

Kevin McRoberts August 6th, 2013 07:23 AM

Another vote for the MFT... add a Nikon Speedbooster and suitable glass and go to town

Alex Anderson August 6th, 2013 10:36 AM

thanks people. Manual is good for me being in video my whole life. I need to explore the mft lenses available. Fast speed, low light lenses and lowest cost.

alex

Bob Ohlemann August 6th, 2013 11:18 AM

Here's a couple links. These are Phillip Blooms initial review of the BMCC and his MFT BMCC review. He has some very good points for why MFT makes far more sense.

Video review of the BlackMagic Cinema Camera!! | Philip Bloom

Review of the Blackmagic Micro Four Thirds Cinema Camera | Philip Bloom

Bob

Alex Anderson August 6th, 2013 03:35 PM

good info. thanx bob.

alex

Zach Love August 7th, 2013 08:07 AM

If you have a bunch of EF glass & don't want to use adapters: EF mount.

Otherwise MFT. It stinks that the mount is a dumb mount, which kinda rules out a lot of MFT glass, but the shorter flange back distance of MFT means you can use Canon FD, Minolta, Pentax... Etc glass with out a problem, something you can't do with EF.

Additionally with MFT, you can get the RedRock LiveLens now for iris control, or wait for the MFT EF Speedbooster. Or use the Kipon MFT EF adapter with faux iris.

Bottom line is MFT opens you up to a lot more lens options.

Bill Bruner August 8th, 2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1804365)
...Bottom line is MFT opens you up to a lot more lens options...

To include lens compatibility with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - which does have an active MFT mount :)

For people like me, coming from Panasonic GH cameras, the BPCC will become my ¨A¨ camera, using my existing lenses. For BMCC MFT shooters, it can be a very capable ProRes (and someday CinemaDNG RAW) ¨B¨ cam or crash cam.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Alex Anderson August 8th, 2013 03:42 PM

Hello Bill.

That pocket cam still looks good to me in certain ways. I wish the waiting list was not so long.

Alex