Pocket camera – first day, first impressions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Pocket camera – first day, first impressions...

I read that this fellow put his new Pocket Camera on Ebay and got about $1800.00, US that is, for it. Good for him. I wouldn’t take $1800.00 for mine, that’s for sure. I’m not sure how much money it would take to take to prise it from my hands and I’m not about to find out. Which is to say today was a good day. After several fumbles getting going, none of which caused irreparable damage to me or the camera, and under a super-bright sun in a biting cold wind I finally hit the record button with little understanding of what I was doing and even less understanding of what was happening under the hood.

After the first few clips I headed down into the village and purchased another pair of reading glasses, plus 3 which is the strongest available. So now I use two pair of reading glasses and can just make out what I need to see on the screen and then only when I shade the thing. No doubt you people with younger eyes shooting in seedy clubs in polluted cities will not have this problem but here in the open under the fierce southern sun the screen is almost useless.

And in these conditions an ND filter is absolutely essential. I have one but it’s a huge 77mm size and I need to get step-up rings or a variable ND filter that fits the lens I have.

Which brings me to the lens. John Brawley said the Panasonic 14-42 el cheapo works just fine, and so it does, but in my hands it’s quite useless. On a tripod no problem but seems the built in image stabilization is not activated on the Pocket camera and none of my hand-held footage is worth a damn. The tripod stuff is a different matter altogether, I’m delighted to report. So I need a new lens, and one that has built in image stabilization that works on the Pocket Camera. Suggestions most welcome.

I shot using both the video mode and the film mode. Under the conditions of today film mode is the way to go.

A quick play in post, for me that’s Vegas Pro 12, seems simple enough and very effective. White balance adjustment, sharpening, brightness and contrast and render off to whatever and the results are nice, very nice. I am more than delighted, and that was just day one.

It’s been said already but let me repeat; this is not a point and shoot camera. But it’s not rocket science either. I reckon by the end of summer (and spring has just begun) I might have this thing sorted.

White orbs and black spots – nope; not a problem, at least not today.

Well done, Blackmagic, and thanks.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Pocket camera – first day, first impressions...

Thanks for the brief review. Looking forward to some footage. I just watched half part 2 of Blooms review. I'm loving the images I'm seeing so far. Also just watched a short video someone posted filmed at Rotterdam Harbor. I'm sure if I watched frame by frame, the white orb issue would be there in the harbor videos but why would anyone watch something like that? Can't wait to get my hands on mine.
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

would agree the need for an ND filter is frustrating. I'm sitting in the Serengeti with amazing things happening all around and I can use it. Mind you it's not my primary or even secondary camera, so it's no loss.
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Dear KRIS ZIMBELMAN,

We are pleased to inform you that the following items from your order have been shipped. (If this email was sent on a Sunday or a Legal Holiday, your order has been packed and will be shipped on the next business day.)

BLPKCINECAM 1 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Good for you Kris, I trust you get a kick out of getting to know the Camera, as I’m sure you will.

Given the limitations of the cheap 14 42 lens and that the stabilization is ineffective on the Pocket I went ahead and ordered the new Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S H-FS14140. I asked the question over at the Blackmagic forum but no feed back there. It is a new lens and perhaps they are few and far between. The stabilization is reported to be more effective than the earlier model and in as much as all it needs from the Pocket is power it should be just fine. If not then I might just need to get a Panasonic G6 body:-)

When that arrives, along with ND filters and a spare battery, I should be good to go.

Now if only the howling southerly winds would cease and desist...horizontal sleet is a pain!
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Trustee

I can tell you the g6 is amazing and it was a choice g6 v B.M.C.C , the g6 came out tops...check this out g6 playing around from the camera just standard profile
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

"check this out g6 playing around"

Not impressed, look cheap and bad in shadows.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Saw this a little while ago. I'm wondering if this is ungraded pocket camera footage.

Old September 5th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Hard to judge from what appears in the above video. The scenes outside the windows in the BMPCC clip look a little overexposed compared to those in the GH3's. The BMPCC's shadows also show more details against mere dark shadows in the GH3's, again could just be the result of more exposure. Added in the YouTube compression, different degrees of grading, then you could probably make one look decidedly distinct than the other either way.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Major Player

I agree, it is hard to judge, so much so that I've given up trying.

Today was the first decent day here in a while and I made the most of it. I filled a 32GB card just as the battery ran out. So tonight we will see what happens in post.

I have a new battery, battery charger and lens due early next week. Total expense to date about $2000 US.
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tobias View Post
"check this out g6 playing around"

Not impressed, look cheap and bad in shadows.
You trying to be smart???
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just received my camera. I have not taken the lens cap Off yet, and I'm wondering if this affects whether the camera will come on or not. I'm just trying to charge the battery. I've plugged the camera into a power supply and there are no indications that It is charging. when I push the power button I just get a flash of light at the bottom of the screen.
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Kris, the power switch is tricky. One needs to press it for a second or more to turn the camera on however if you continue holding it the camera will turn on, the flash of light appears, and then it turns off again. So press the power button and immediately you see the flash of light let it go. It should then be powered up and the information bar, small that it is, should appear at the bottom of the screen and at the right-hand end the battery status should be visible..

It matters not whether you have a lens attached or a card inserted, at least that is so on mine.

Good luck
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Regular Crew

got it , Thanks
I will be attending the University of Oklahoma\West Virginia football game which starts at 6 PM tomorrow.
I plan on taking some band shots as they walk through the campus, tailgating and some game sequence.
I will be shooting Pro RES. This is the lens I will be using.
https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/se...op+Nav-Search=

I know that the conditions can vary and that these things can change on the run, but can you recommend any initial settings?
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Zimbelman View Post
I will be shooting Pro RES. This is the lens I will be using.[
I hope you'll post some video, as I have that lens patiently waiting for the pocket camera to arrive. Looking forward to seeing some nice wide open depth of field shots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera